John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
OK.... no one is really interested in what it takes to be uber high-end audio.... Best in every possible way.

A long while back.... someone laughed at the idea of ever increasing sample rates and noted that if this continued the waveform starts to look more and more like an analog signal. Implying the signal is beginning to look like the analog input ... maybe just record in analog, in the first place.
(disregarding the convenience of the format, storage etc). .

Who here has taken DSD (USB or I2) and LP filtered it and listened... no DAC?

I hear it sounds really good that way.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
There has been criticism of DSD, but some people still prefer the sound of it. "Sounding really good" is not necessarily the same as perfectly unflawed.

Sometimes we seem to switch between talking about what really matters when listening to speakers half-way across a room for pleasure, and talking about the very most extreme limits of what a few people might be able hear under unusual circumstances. Which one somebody uses often seems to correlate with their preferences on particular issues.

However, if and when somebody takes an absolutist position and insists something is flat-out impossible or a fantasy, I think that invokes the standard of extreme limits of a few people under unusual circumstances.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Sometimes we seem to switch between talking about what really matters when listening to speakers half-way across a room for pleasure, and talking about the very most extreme limits of what a few people might be able hear under unusual circumstances. Which one somebody uses often seems to correlate with their preferences on particular issues.

All seems perfectly normal to me. As long as it is about audio.... not bikes, wine or animals or camera, Tv, cars or worse... kids.

-RM

So, because I guessed correctly on a couple of them, suddenly I'm smart like Mensaman?

Attachments

• l160.gif
    l160.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 145
RNM,
It seems you are sometimes all over the map on what you think is important to best audio quality. For a while you were talking about how important high resolution downloads were as so much music sounded so bad to you and then whoa. along comes a new set of speakers and you realize that much of the problem was just your choice of speakers, which you thought at the time were superior. Now you ask JC to embark on a highest quality electronics package which JC just points to as having to be expensive or it just doesn't count as best in practice. Many would look at your room you are listening to music in and say you aren't a serious listener, your room is completely incorrect for best sound. so this is just a circular logic type of argument, you can run in circles and keep chasing the Holy Grail but there are no perfect or even best practices in this audio field. I bet I could come up with a dozen people who would say the JBL M2 is fatally flawed in some respects, there are just no universal agreements that can lead you to the promised land.

I used to do this as a sideline. The training and equipment were not cheap. The Philips color meter I used cost $6000 back in the 90s. There are better ones now, but they are rather pricey still.
Back in my day servicing CRT TV's, as part of my standard TV service I used a loupe to look closely at the pixels to fine adjust focus, cutoffs and colour.
I'm not sure how close to cal that I got, but I did receive regular feedbacks from customers saying that their TV looked better than when new.
Not too hard to do actually since most TV's were way out from factory.

Dan.

Don't get him going again. ;)

Noted. :D

It's just baffling to me :scratch: that, people who have clearly shown ability throughout their lifetimes to do good engineering work (whether or not that's their title, I don't care, see your signature) and yet go utterly gobblygook when it comes to design of something different, especially if it has a subjective edge. Have we stepped into a different reality?

As much as I poke people about wild theories, at least they're *trying* to communicate something across!

How can you possibly listen to a digital source without converting that to an analog source? To make the sampling rate so high as to make digital look like an analog sine wave seems rather ludicrous, what kind of bandwidth would that take and to what advantage?

Any work in that area (or the vague DSD suggestions) would have to be done by someone with at least a rudimentary grasp of how digital audio works. Of course that "making it look more like analog" thing is ridiculous on its face, unless one is completely ignorant or in denial of the reality of Fourier and Shannon-Nyquist.

Status
Not open for further replies.