John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Audio by Van Alstine is a kilobuck; I talked that down to 800. Not just an ABX box but has lots of options to compare complete systems and has levelling capabilities.

It is a bit loud with its relays, but there are always relays switching even when going from A to A so in practise it is not an issue.

Jan
Why no specs/measurements or schematics of the Van Alstine box ???.

Dan.

Other than about common places, I have no idea what you are talking and what is your point here ref. my original post. Sorry, it must be my dumbo day.

Never mind....

You were talking about "bear oder JC oder Jakob2" would complain in case of a null result and therefore i cited the ITU-R BS.1116-3 to emphasize that _every_ experimenter should be extremely careful before accepting a "null" as valid. Strongly biased experimenters often forget about that .....

You said:
"You are correct about the supposed GE crowd skewing the initial result, however I did not assume such a crowd was necessary part of the test. Just regular people randomly selected,..."

Therefore i mentioned that you should first clearly state a research hypothesis that will be tested. "regular people randomly selected..." would more be appropriate if you are looking for an estimate of the underlying general population parameter (hopefully quite precise and therefore calling for real "randomeness" and a quite large sample). Otoh if you are testing for the information if at least one listener will be able to perceive a difference that calls for a different group of listeners.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
That´s an astonishing comment .

Not if he was right. And he was.

I would like to clarify what happens to me in an ABX double-blind test. First, I do really lousy with very marginal sources and speakers. I just hear compromised sound, and small differences between amps just don't seem significant. [snip]

JC can't even write a single sentence without trying to mislead us with his excuses. What does a blind or otherwise test have to do with 'very marginal sources and speakers'?
Sad.

Jan

Not if he was right. And he was.

Jan, as stated before, science knows that the ABX protocol is more involving than an AB-test even for single parameter tests. That a test for multidimensional differences is even more involving should be self-explanatory.
So i don´t understand why a description of difficulties one has had during a specific test protocol should be ridiculed as search for excuses.

There are good reasons why some people accomodate better to specific test procedures than others.
As there is no magic in the ABX-protocol there is no need to use it, as there exists other protocols that might fit better.

Of course otoh that is no reason to condemn the ABX, but an experimenter should be aware of the fact that participants might need longer training under test conditions to get useful (means correct) results.

And any experimenter should ask himself if the ABX is really needed as it tests for a result that is in reality not so much interesting. (people quite often are looking for something better not just for something different)

to get useful (means correct) results.

I don't see the connection between useful and correct here unless the hypothesis is that everything sounds the same. Using a speaker with larger than normal impedance variation and 10 meter cables I would expect some to sound very different in direct ABX that information alone is not useful to me.

I case I have not been clear, I'm primarily interested in debunking inaccurate or fraudulent claims. I'm sure that with careful listening (especially when pushing power limits) Pass Labs amps and say Bryston amps would probably sound different. They both have a loyal fan base, a good business, and don't engage in questionable claims or advertising.

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Careful on that one. There are four transitions and the sound of each can easily be memorized.

I have tried very hard to discern between switching direction and equipment, but so far I cannot hear a difference to give me a clue. Not to say that someone else could not. I have a few guys over next Saturday, let's see if they can do better.

Jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
So i don´t understand why a description of difficulties one has had during a specific test protocol should be ridiculed as search for excuses.

So you obviously didn't get what JC wrote, what SY commented to and my post.

Let me ask you, if someone says:

'I would like to clarify what happens to me in an ABX double-blind test. First, I do really lousy with very marginal sources and speakers. I just hear compromised sound, and small differences between amps just don't seem significant.'

How is that not searching for excuses - even worse, deliberately misleading readers? Would you take such a person serious? Would you even bother to read the rest of the drivel?

Jan

Last edited:
I have tried very hard to discern between switching direction and equipment, but so far I cannot hear a difference to give me a clue. Not to say that someone else could not. I have a few guys over next Saturday, let's see if they can do better.

Jan

I should have said in some cases, the box I listened to at an AES meeting was easy (ruined their fun).

Bob Carver did this years ago at Stereophile- matching his amp to a "reference" amp and supposedly they were indistinguishable. I'm sure someone here as the details. The core was matching the frequency response under load with the same source. As I remember (too lazy to dig it up) the reference was a tube amp and his was solid state. I think the long term result was a Carver tube amp- if that's what customers, want build it. The core of this is matching the response in the full system, including the source impedance.
the silver seven I still have this two mono ss amp

So you obviously didn't get what JC wrote, what SY commented to and my post.

I´m glad that you expanded a bit; this sort of statements alone usually just provokes equally unfruitful comments. :)

Let me ask you, if someone says:

'I would like to clarify what happens to me in an ABX double-blind test. First, I do really lousy with very marginal sources and speakers. I just hear compromised sound, and small differences between amps just don't seem significant.'

How is that not searching for excuses - even worse, deliberately misleading readers? Would you take such a person serious? Would you even bother to read the rest of the drivel?

Jan

Hm, let see....
I read it as if JC firstly says that he can´t......with marginal sources and speakers.
And secondly he says, even if the quality of sources and speakers (and most probably room acoustics mains etc.) is on par, he had difficulties .....

Is that interpretation really unreasonable ?

Wrt to the first point, although it depends on the hypothesis under test- is/was a check for appropriate reproduction quality really always included?

The second point is related to the differences of the various test regimes, as already pointed out.

P.S. SY uses constantly the phrase "ears only" and that seems surprisingly not to bother you, although it is a purposely choosen misnomer and misleading as it can get, because something like "ears only" does not exist and SY knows that.
"double blind test" in contrast is a technical term with well defined meaning.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.