John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I ran an APC UPS at T.H.E. Show. It cleaned up the power very well and kept my mind at ease in case someone kicked the power extension cord: I didn't have to worry about my Denon quartz automatic TT going crazy.

Of course the APC is anything but sinusoidal in its output. As has been discussed up to 1KHz or so the dirtier the better seems to help.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
However it is pretty cool that a not insignificant percentage of the worlds population carry around with them devices that require both forms of relativity to work (GPS). However jaded one becomes about progress I feel GPS is still not only a great success story of the last 30 years (even if originally for US military) but a great example of how electronics technology has evolved since the late 80s in areas other than the stagnation of audio.

Absolutely... I mention GPS whenever I hear a comment along the lines of "what does that stuff have to do with real life"... That and quantum mechanics - without that where would we be with electronics. People should know that the phone in their pocket relies on all that stuff they may think is irrelevant.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Of course the APC is anything but sinusoidal in its output. As has been discussed up to 1KHz or so the dirtier the better seems to help.

Exactly. Amongst other things we make power monitors that check the voltage, current, phase, power factor, frequency and spectral content of the waveforms. This is mainly for large 3 phase installs, either for the utility of the customer - making sure they are getting what they pay for. In industrial scenarios, power can get pretty shitty. However, I've run a lot of tests in my own domestic environment. My environment is pretty potentially noisy - loads of switchers, amateur radio gear, boosted wifi links, LPR stuff.... Oh, and audio... All easily turned on and off as I also do pre-compliance emc measurements. What I find here is, despite all that, remarkably little phase shift or distortion to waveshape. The biggest problem is voltage variation.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
For example, IF "jitter" caused noticeable differences in the perceived sound (and it did/does) how does that manifest in the usual measured parameters?? I've seen explanations of why it has an effect, but I can't say I have seen the measured differences. Anyone? (and I don't mean the differences in jitter, I refer to the output sound).

Where in the overall system is this residual jitter you hear? There are a number of potential sources, bu mostly they are resynced out of a system as the jitter is less than the sampling window....

Again, with all this experience here, and expertise, has no one ever heard an SPDIF cable change also change the subjective sonic presentation enough so as to be noticed??

Step up, and share your experiences?

Let me add it is fine with me IF this was due to a known or presumed engineering reason - just IF it has ever happened to you??

(seems like the room got very quiet suddenly? How many dBA are we measuring now? :rolleyes: )

Sorry, I have not heard a difference between SPDIF cables, optical or otherwise. The same goes for all wires, except obviously faulty ones. Never have, even when my ears were still fresh.

Edit: this was also at times when I was very dissatisfied with the sound I had, and tried all kinds of fixes to improve it. To no avail, it was the speakers as I found out. More specifically, the diffraction pattern created by most loudspeakers.

Last edited:
Check the etymology: Latin “Symposium” from the Greek “sympósion” meaning “drink together” (those people knew how to give their life a meaning)
Thanks for that George....I'm going to use that one in future, lol.

From my experience of using various portable devices as music players in my system, I can say that if the operation of the device is overstressed in that role, a lot of things change.
Consider using each portable device waay down it’s max internal data traffic capabilities. A lot of processes work in the back concurrently with the music files transfer.
Please make sure that the device is working much below it’s limits before start checking for external influences. You may be led astray if you don’t.
George
All good advice.
In this case I have shut down all the RF functions, and removed a bunch of apps....I ought to learn more about Android 'rooting' and strip it down as far as possible.
As it is, it works as a very fine audio player (Flan and Wav), and the portability is ace.
The at will sonic changes that I speak of are independent of internal software/hardware overheads and are perfectly repeatable...ie in seconds I am able to flick between two different 'signatures' that each remain until deliberately altered.

Dan.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I am happy to believe people who claim the system sounds best late at night. In many areas mains voltage will be higher which could make a difference to sub-optimal designs and of course ambient noise is lower.

Plus you are likely to have a single malt/beer/glass of wine in front of you and music sounds best after a drink, despite the droopy hairs it causes.

Purely anecdotal.

Relating to both ferrites and Bybee's effects.

At the time, frankly I had only heard about these Bybee thingies, and was rather skeptical in all regards. At a CES show, probably in the mid 1980s? Seems right. Actually at THE Show... but I forget who had a table with some nice headphones - I think I recall ESLs, but probably not. For some reason I went to listen. It was in the hall.

Didn't think much of the sound.
Somewhat grainy.
I think the guy was involved with headphone amps, back when they were a new thing.
Maybe even the Head-Fi guy. Tyell, was that his name?

Anyhow, I said that I thought the sound was not too good.
He said, here, how about now? He moved a white object up about 2 ft along the power cord. Looked like a ferrite bead. The sound changed rather dramatically. Went from grainy to not grainy.

I said, hey, let me try that.
I did it too.
Same effect.

I said, what's that, a ferrite bead??
He said, no, it's a Bybee.
I said, not a ferrite? What it is it then?
A Bybee.

The effect surprised the c**p out of me.
keep in mind this was when I could still hear beyond 20kHz.
So, a whole lot of stuff that most people could not detect drove me bats.

Now perhaps a ferrite clamp/bead would have had the same effect.
Doesn't matter. Assuming it WAS a Bybee thingie, it had an unmistakable, not subtle effect. Does not matter what the design flaws of this headphone amplifier box may have been. The effect was apparent from merely sliding the thingie up and down the AC line cord.

So, in this anecdotal situation, it did SOMETHING.

Bringing this up because, A) I heard it unmistakably and B) IF this thing did something to the sound in this situation, I see no reason that a ferrite might not have an audible effect in some situations.

Perhaps "excellently designed" these effects would be either inaudible or non-existent.
Also, has no one here ever changed the type of cable between their CD transport and DAC and heard some sort of change in the sound?? Again, in "excellently designed" cases, perhaps you can use almost anything as the "coax" cable for SPDIF and it makes no difference. But who can clearly point to the exact mechanism by which any audible difference is made? Who has measured it?

Raise your hand if you have NEVER EVER heard a change in SPDIF cable be audible?

The Bybee devices have to be soldered in line, with the cable, so HOW can you move them up the cable?
Something is not right with the scenario!

Well, Markw4, I am world famous for making extremely successful audio products. I was considered a senior electronics design engineer, by a company that I worked for more than 30 years ago, and have been VP of engineering of another company later, and finally ran my own company (Vendetta Research) for several years and am still getting awards for my efforts. It takes more than just engineering skills to make great audio products. Maybe you don't know this yet, too bad. All I mostly see is a bunch of frustrated (relatively well educated) guys who want to throw their weight around, not serious audio designers here.

Not serious true believers in the high end myths you and others like to promote.

Testing op-amps for noise late at night is always few db lower than day time testing.

I figured the APC wasn't the cleanest power around but it worked well enough on the show floor. I actually had some people listen, then ask "what is the secret?"

I'm not really worried about some khz harmonics on the power feed. Mostly the Mhz stuff is what I would hope the APC can nail down. It did what it had to do at a decent price and is grab and go available at the basic office and computer stores.

....It takes more than just engineering skills to make great audio products. Maybe you don't know this yet, too bad. All I mostly see is a bunch of frustrated (relatively well educated) guys who want to throw their weight around, not serious audio designers here.
Most every time I have had a "wow!" moment with a neat audio circuit an EE will point out all the empty part of the glass. Debbie downer!

Power quality from various backup devices

Turns out the smartUPS is a true sinusoid. Must check which version I have... Might be worth doing some testing with it. Of course the stepped waveform of the backups might produce cleaner DC in your equipment.
It did what it had to do. T.H.E. Show went smooth this last time. The time before that my DP-51 TT was going crazy because of line fluctuations. Your dig with the stepped waveform only applies to it running in offline mode. Another try at Debbie downer.

http://www.kerrywong.com/2013/08/21/ups-transfer-time-measurement/

But are not the audio circuits designed by EE's, I did think that being an EE would be a bloody great benefit when it comes to circuit design....
You are right up to the point where the step away from convention has to be made to get something cool and groovy. Usually when I have pushed a circuit into uncharted territory I have mostly gotten quizzical looks, chin scratching and then the "well, you have to be careful of this and that. Need to do a sim...."

A great designer quote "just build it and see what it can do" That was Keith Barr. He did some of his best work on his boat in the open ocean.

Status
Not open for further replies.