John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
simon7000 said:
CMRR is not an issue.
Measuring 1nV riding on 10mV means CMRR is an issue. Perhaps you don't understand what CMRR is? It is not just a spec for an instrument; it is a figure of merit for the whole apparatus.

Speedskater said:
"Transmission Lines at Audio Frequencies, and a Bit of History"
http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/TransLines-LowFreq.pdf

Note that the 4 parameters need to be measured at the frequency in question.

Also the strange OCOS cable had low impedance at audio frequencies.
6moons audio reviews: OCOS &*Enacom
The four parameters won't vary that much across the audio spectrum.

The OCOS cable seems to use a conductive dielectric. It greatly increases G so it swamps C so at audio frequencies the characteristic impedance is given by sqrt{R/G}. For typical short audio cables the same effect can be realised by adding a shunt resistor at either end of the cable, but that would not impress the gullible.

RNMarsh said:
So, what ideas are there for making the lowest Ls speaker cable/ft.
Wide conductors, closely spaced - a bit like a giant stripline. This greatly increases C.

In speaker cables, series L is important (esp when compared to tweeter L);

So, what ideas are there for making the lowest Ls speaker cable/ft.

THx-RNMarsh
Coax, strip line, paralleled twisted pair as in cat5e. Mainly just techniques to
Control the spread of magnetic field.
The constraint is LC=1034 times EDC. EDC can never go below 1, twisted pair is about 4. L in nh/ft, C pf/ft.
For coax and strip line, EDC is the pemittivity of the dielectric. Range of about 1.05 for foam to 3 for common plastics.

As in nordost ? or one on top of the other?
Nordstrom goes for lowest capacitance and reduces inductance by increasing the reluctance path around the conductors. As I recall, they run 90 nH per foot, and EDC of about 1.1.
To get to 8 ohms, Ls has to be roughly 10 nH/ft, C around 300 pf/ft. Which makes the zobel important.
There are diminishing returns in going so low in Z, once you get to the 20's, the load impedance settling variance goes below any audibility threshold.

For thousand foot runs ala Ed, load spread vs frequency may be a more significant factor. That is why I wanted him to run settling time tests for the long run and load resistors ranging fro 4 to about 200.

John

ahhh you meant SI.

Aside: I have some american text books from when I messed with cars that have charts in Rankin. That really did my head in

second Aside: how did the units on tires/tyres get sooo messed up in units?

There s some bad habits that are surviving, certainly that for enginering related discussions it s better to get rid of antiquated and non mutualy related "metrics".

I just noticed that the metric system is not legal in the US, so people from there have an excuse but i imagine the difficulty when converting surfaces expressed in squared inches to squared feets and so on.

Are wave lengths also expressed in feets or miles..?..

Other than this JNeutron is providing some good clues about those forever discussed wires..

I'm still trying to figure out why a 1/2" pipe isn't 1/2" and why a 2x4 isn't 2x4. In comparison, mental conversion between Imperial, cgs, and mks is trivial.

How much cubic feets is a cubic inche..?.

In UK will fill cars in litres but Miles per gallon makes much more sense than L/100km to our minds. Of course sometimes there are major mess ups with units and space probes hit mars somewhat faster than anticipated.

That s a very bad exemple where you have the things backward, Miles/Gallon
amount to km/litre....

Last edited:
If that's true, I am committing crimes every few minutes. I suspect that's not true.

Actualy i also thought that they were both used in the US but apparently only the UK and Canada have both systems being of legal use, in the US the metric system is just used to reference the imperial measures and for scientific matters..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SI-metrication-world.png

IIRC a 300m$ space probed was crushed because of US enginers using imperial lengthes in an internationaly devellopped project..

Status
Not open for further replies.