John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
DADiSP-

Though I/we might agree on that point of yours', it doesnt really apply to what DADiSP has done. It is more than a GUI. All the code is written or rewritten in machine language

Not according to the makers
DADiSP is written in C/C++ for speed and portability
It's compiled code same as most others. It does look very useful for a set of problems, but I suspect like most of these tools its how well the user can drive it that sets productivity and how well they grok the workflow. But choice of tools is good. Something for everyone.

In a normal good connection. But in an old oxided/corroded one there could be weak diode affect or other nonlinearity. The typical RCA connector is a common problem this way.
THx-RNMarsh

As I have said numerous times the basic physics of the bandgaps and Fermi levels do not allow for interesting things going on in ordinary materials at mV levels at room temperature. There are no 1mV rectifiers radio astronomers would die for them.

Okay, but given the connectors are always attached to the cable, how do you know it is the cables and not the connectors that eventually repeat? (edit: assuming some directional effect remains)

On some cables I unsolder the cable and flip it. The directional characteristics mostly follow the connectors.

RNM

Scott hasn't ever acknowledged the idea of an intermittent that gets punched through temporarily and then returns after a bit of non use. Then there is always the now obsolete and antique coherer.

Last edited:
As I have said numerous times the basic physics of the bandgaps and Fermi levels do not allow for interesting things going on in ordinary materials at mV levels at room temperature. There are no 1mV rectifiers radio astronomers would die for them.

Agreed about 1mv rectifiers. However, it seems pretty well established that some contact materials are more or less suitable for use at different current densities. Silver oxide is great for high current contactors and lousy for low level electrometer connections. It starts out high resistance which drops once sufficient current density has passed through it. In the case of the directional wire tests, its not at all clear how well the connectors are working at the very low currents being used, even after having been wiped or reconnected a few times.

Also, I have seen confident scientists in the past claim that cancer can't possibly be caused by non-ionizing radiation since otherwise there is insufficient energy to induce a chemical reaction. That later turned out to be incorrect.

Or that different isotopes of a particular element don't have different chemical reaction equilibriums because the electron shells are the same. It turns out that atomic mass can and does affect reaction rates to some extent. Drinking enough heavy water will kill you, for example.

Getting back to this particular case, I am skeptical that some directional effect exists, but if it does, it is almost surely related to connectors.

Last edited:
Scott hasn't ever acknowledged the idea of an intermittent that gets punched through temporarily and then returns after a bit of non use.

Yup, and you have never done the experiment that categorically eliminates incidental mechanical action from remaking the contact. I won't mention that you talk about banging on the connector to help. These mV barriers don't exist, there is no physics to explain them.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012

never mentioned diodes. but oxide is not quit the same as non-oxide characteristics and that it is on the surface where high freq live might have an affect that is measurable and maybe then, significant in some way/conditions in audio systems (?) Any possible diode effect from oxides might be found in contacts with other materials used in connectors etc.

Contacts/wire oxidation/corrosion is a distortion source and possibly a diode model.

-RNM

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
So what does that do for you now? Could a serious IT professional here please give a current FP benchmark for an LSI-11 vs a 2016 quad core Pentium?

C++ didnt exist when I first used the DADiSP (with an LSI-11: http://simh.trailing-edge.com/semi/lsi11.html.) It all depends on the computer you use the DADiSP with.

Today, I do have a SOTA HP computer using Intel processor and for even faster speed, an all SS HD. For me and others, it is still about speed.

Maybe you should just try it out before judging it. Free download trial. Then tell me it is nothing useful or special about it. Certainly is isnt for CERN but for a group with somewhat lesser budget it is a good package.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Just to add another thought to the mix, say there is a thermocouple in the wire, which presumably is directional. If you run a very low ac signal through a poor quality (unwelded) maybe unstable thermocouple, would the two signals necessarily add linearly, or could there be some nonlinear interaction or mixing resulting in a spectrum that could be seen in an FFT?

Also, I assume that since a sound card was used in the measurement system, and those are normally AC coupled, any DC offsets due to thermocoples would not be obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.