John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
They do indeed. I mostly use Shimadzu and Bruker these days, but had a chance to play with an AFM that an old friend of mine in San Diego built for his lab- really cool technology.

Shimadzu (with Kratos next door) have a research lab near us, we do their PCBs, some interesting and very clever people there.... But I would not like to work there full time, we draw lots to see who will loose and go there when required, very strange environment, everything is done carefully and slowly with lots of confirmation and measurements. One of my major mistakes was made there, blowing up an electron microscope development PSU I was doing, some diodes wrong way round...:eek: 5x 10kV 20x 1kV and a 30kV PSU shorted together for a very short but impressive time!

You could be the Mr and Mrs Smith of the audiophile forums...

She's posted here a couple times, but she's less interested in the hardware side of audio than she is the psychological and neurological aspects. So when the last issue of Linear Audio arrived, she skipped over Scott's paper but devoured the really clever and superb article by Mike Uwins about the impact of the non-auditory aspects of LP on auditory perception.

The real Mr. and Mrs. Smith is probably Earl Geddes and Lidia Lee.:D We're probably a poorer and worse-dressed version of Nick and Nora.

Last edited:
Marce, we all probably have released the smoke constituent from electronic parts on more than one occasion, but not at that scale. Must have been quite the fireworks. How's the plumbing going?

A couple of months work gone in microseconds, not high current but plenty of power in a short time:) I was not popular for a while....

OK thank you, had good news after second op (last week), muscle clear of tumour cells so having 3 months of this:
BCG treatment for early (non-invasive) bladder cancer - Cancer Information - Macmillan Cancer Support
Could be a lot worse so I am buzzing.

Interestingly, the quietest red LEDs I've found were the HLMP6000, which are pretty tiny. Lowest impedances as well, so there may be a relationship.

Which subtype did you use? It seems to be a large family including members with
built-in current limiter.

I don't think it is the slope resistance. The avalanche knees are much steeper,
but have more noise.

BTW I have repeated the z-diode measurements, one of them was wrong.
The 1N4151 is in forward direction.
Watch this low noise LM329 :-(

regards, Gerhard

Attachments

• zeners.png
    zeners.png
    46.9 KB · Views: 284
Gerhard,

Thanks for these measurements! Just out of curiosity--who makes your 1n4151? A little higher 1/f noise than the others, but that's perhaps because the HF noise level is lower than the others. And those HF spurs are confusing.

Do you know what is the cause of the ~150 Hz spike in several of the (lower bound) measurements? The 50 Hz one is understandable.

Marce,

Great to hear!

John,

Cheers to your friends.

If you can believe it, she has less patience for the huckster nonsense that dominates fashion audio than I do.

I can believe it.

Sorry I missed Saturday. I've done a couple of streamer setups, both for myself and for my daughter. The latest was put together Friday - computer and DAC, 4" x 3" x 2" (for you metric guys, that's something like seven and a half cubits ... I think) and running Linux.

Gerhard,

Thanks for these measurements! Just out of curiosity--who makes your 1n4151? A little higher 1/f noise than the others, but that's perhaps because the HF noise level is lower than the others. And those HF spurs are confusing.

Do you know what is the cause of the ~150 Hz spike in several of the (lower bound) measurements? The 50 Hz one is understandable.

Don't know the manufacturer. New Very Old Stock. They were in a bag
labeled 6V2 zeners, but after downloading the Vishay data sheet I understood
why it did not work that way. So I turned it around.

150 Hz is simply the harmonic of the grid frequency. It took a lot of shielding
to get the interference that far down. The switcher of the energy saving lamp on
the table is also sometimes visible, depending on position and on/off state.

0 dB is about the input referred noise density of an LT1028 or AD797.

Status
Not open for further replies.