John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the strobe's pulsewidth on the order of a few hundred nanoseconds? Otherwise, that looks very highpassed - wouldn't something more rectangular be expected (like you'd get with an optocoupler?). What makes the trace so impulsive?

It is 2 uS per division. I suspect the strobe power supply rings a bit and the alligator clip leads certainly do at those frequencies. Then there are also reflections of the bench and misc. stuff on it.

(I read it as 500 nS of light.)

Last edited:
5mA via a CCS (bipolar cascode) into a Radio Shack red LED. Radio Shack strobe about 6 inches away running at 60 Hz. Scope set to 1mV/div.

My strobe is dumping a 100 uF/350 volt capacitor into the new flash tube. So I probably have at least 10 times the light you used. My LED was a red diffused type but had to be pointed at the tube to get maximum output. Range about 4".

Now my scope has really nice triggering and capture algorithms. So I can look at a single burst.

So now the issue is how does this vary among LEDs?

Also what is the frequency response of your sound system? I'll grant you can hear hum at normal levels.

Mine is a disco-type.

I use a clock radio. Scott always complains bitterly when I make him listen to it.

Well a radio shack disco strobe at 60 bpm would probably be at least 100 times less output per flash than my setup. Even if they used one of the disco standard 110 Watt Second tubes.

As to the clock radio. I believe you. After all real objective testing would measure the entire system before you even start.

in wide spread use by the aliens

Maybe a case of best not to use a VW LED.

As it happens, I know a few lollipop doctors*.
For some reason, their cars have the exact same exhaust pipes as yours, Mr Colburn.
I've yet to find corroboration for a connection in weekly MIB bulletins.

* one travels by train on days-off, carrying a suitcase with a distinct silicone fragrance.
Harmless, his first name is Randy, but identified as an auto-prober (and lollipopper)
He does have a tendency to forget the suitcase when leaving the carriage.
General warning to the public : do not attempt to open suitcases, left on trains, the contents may be 100 percent extraterrestrial.

Last edited:
Who has any light brighter than a 100 watt incandescent in a normal room? Unless you are in a disco, do they still have those, with a strobe light, where did that come into the discussion of the susceptibility of an led to be a photo detector in an active forward bias circuit? Let's say you had two or more leds inside of an enclosure why wouldn't you just use a narrow angle dispersion led and have them pointed away from each other, the amount of scattered light would be very low, are we not making something out of another of those audiophile myths here?

Status
Not open for further replies.