John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
SY, this is a difficult question for me to answer accurately. I just don't know. For more than a decade, before laying out this circuit, I used low rbb' complementary followers. They worked, but I always put a large electrolytic cap to ground AFTER the emitter, as well as in the base to ground. When I was forced to use only a 0.1 uf cap on the output of the regulator, I decided it was probably quieter to use a jfet follower. The input board was actually laid out to use 2SK146, 2SJ73 pairs for the series pass devices. Later, I switched to higher Idss j113(n), J271(p) parts to allow for more total current. It has remained that way for 30 years.
It would be interesting whether a good bipolar would be as quiet, WITH only a 0.1uF cap at the output of each follower. Perhaps one of the PhD's in engineering out there can give me a definitive opinion. By the way, is this the broken section in the Vendetta you are repairing. If so, check the 0.1uF cap. They sometimes short, which blows the follower.

Many thanks. Yes, those transistors were indeed bad, and I was convinced that they hadn't jumped but were likely pushed. Your hint may save me a great deal of time this weekend. This particular unit has J175- do you think that a J271 will work about the same here?

People (including you) have gotten excellent noise performance at low impedances from low noise bipolars, and of course, their transconductance will be higher, so that's what got me thinking.

What is wrong with you guys? Each of us has our developed skills, and nobody that I know has them all 90% or more. For example, I use a layout expert for my best designs, and I have been working with him, for more than 30 years.

John, what are the main preferences of his pcb layout design? Symmetrical layout, low L,C, or what? I`ve seen the pictures but i didn't look closely to the pcb layout properties. Thans, Borko.

Just to be clear, neither did I, but was just trying to remind everyone of the good old days. Rubylith anyone?

Indeed.

I did all our T&M pcbs (analog with digital interfaces) taping 2:1 on a light box. Lots of Kelvin paths and guard rings so difficult to draw for others to do.

Then we switched to Orcad schematic capture and Racal Redac layout on a small HP mini. Mini tape cartridge and no true line width on the display!! Quite a shock in 1980(?) but it taught me how to hold the design "in my head". We finally switched to Pads-pcb on a 386 pc and 12" colour monitor. That was luxury indeed, but it still took 30 secs to refresh a full screen display!

You could say this as well for a musician ;-)
Architecture is an art too. With kind of similar requirements, agree ?
Some bring to PCB 'design' a little more than technique: beauty. Often, it is those who are the best on a technical point of view.
I remember my son, when he was a little boy saying, looking at some PCB i just finished to weld "Oh, it looks like a miniature city."

My boards look simple and elegant, nothing to do directly with art just doing the job properly and taking care of every last aspect of the design, I could say they look beautiful because they do, but I still do not consider it art.
The art or main skill of PCB design is placement, get that right and its then just joining the dots.....

Marce, I beg to differ. True, it necessarily needs to incorporate a lot of science, but there is a point where it goes beyond pure science and technology. It's hard to define, and I suppose it's partly up to the user to feel it or not, but for me there is such a point beyond which I will call a man an artist, not just a PCB designer.

This is why I refer to Alex as an artist. His work is blamelessly neat and ordered, every aspect I can think of is well taken care of, yet it is still wonderfully logical and exceptionally well placed just where it should be. Those who know more about PCB work might not agree with me, and that's all right, every craft has its fine points only another craftsman may readily observe which won't register with me, I don't deny that. Yet, exceptional work is somehow readily appearent to many even outside that trade - that's Alex. Everybody who has seen his work and is in electronics of any type positively commented on his work, as did some of his direct colleagues who have also been at it for 20+ years. It's not very likely all those people are wrong.

As for him signing his work, I have no problem with that, in fact I encourage him to do so. It reflect the truth as it really is. A man's got live, and he does have something to be proud of.

I disagree to an extent and when teaching PCB design I don't use the term artist. PCB design is all about pattern recognition, reading a schematic, understanding intimately how signals propagate from DC to high frequency, loop areas, dipoles etc. etc.
But then this is audio so normal situations don't apply.....:)

Oh look up the old Vutrax posters, you'll like them.
I am making a stand here as to much in audio reproduction is considered art, and I would never compare my PCB design skills with the art of the musician, or with the ART I employ in painting or photography, different worlds.

sorry kasey, looks like ou've got some "unlearning" to do

which can be difficult - but read Cordell's site, book, negative feedback thread for a much better treatment

the reason DVV may not want to get into the theory is because it demonstrates the error of this formulation and his own prejudices that he admits he is unwilling to reexamine, has never given Cordell, Cambrell, Cherry a fair read on the subject

for the "speed" of the feedback - try looking at the time evolution of the error V, it is not limited by the "100 Hz pole" - it is also a function of the loop gain magnitude at the error frequency - which can easily be a Million at 100 Hz in a high loopgain audio power amp
and we are not limited to Miller Dominant pole compensation when designing high feedback amps

the Margan paper is particularly stupid for trying to draw conclusions from Class B output crossover dead band - feedback does indeed "not work" when there are dead bands == no loop gain, no way to influence the output from the amp's inputs

Don't expect feedback to fix deadbands - don't design, build amps with deadbands - most here suggest >100mA per output Q AB bias

and don't fall for the Otala "prescription", flawed feedback heuristics - he got a very few things right but with his "TIM" writing majorly set back (or permanently impaired) the understanding of many

Originally Posted by kasey197
chaps when u get a chance ... i havent seen this erik margan paper linked on the forum (although lots of discussion on his older papers on similar topic)

http://www-f9.ijs.si/~margan/Article...n_Dynamics.pdf

Quote from the final page:
... Because the open loop bandwidth of an ordinary amplifier is somewhere between 10 and 100 Hz, the reaction time is slow, and at high signal frequencies a large difference between the input and output signal
appears before the feedback loop is reestablished. Effectively this means that as the amplifier distorts, its bandwidth is reduced and its phase lag is increased, but once the signal amplitude falls below the quiscent threshold, the distortion is reduced considerably, and so is the phase lag.

What we have is actually a mechanism. Note that the amplitude of the switching phase modulation distorted signal follows the output signal amplitude, and the phase angle is practically constant (but within the first quarter of the first period, where the initial phase modulation occurs), until it suddenly vanishes.

How large is this pahse error? It is possible to calculate the phase angle from the arctangent of the imaginary to real component ratio, the real part being the output signal, and the imaginary part being the distorted signal in the bottom trace of . By observing the second period of the signal, where Fig.12 the phase relation is firmly established, we have about 0.1V in the distorted signal and about 4V in the output. The angle is then (180/pi)×arctan(0.1/4) = 1.5°. Not much, you will say. But bear in mind that
the human ear is insensitive to static phase shift, but very sensitive to quick phase changes.
{emphasis mine}

Note also that the amount of phase error is load impedance dependent, a dominantly capacitive load increases both the crossover distortion and the phase lag, a dominantly inductive load reduces both.

Also, the effect is increasing with signal frequency. With musical signals at moderate levels, this phase switching always occurs during the initial 10-50 ms or so at every start of a played note.

It may therefore be conjectured that this is the main cause for the often complained "stereo image instability" experienced during subjective evaluation, even if the of crossover distortion itself is unnoticeable."

Without getting into too much theory, I believe the above is true and why it almost always makes me prefer a wide bandwidth low GNFB amp to the traditional high gain, high GNFB designs. Of course, that's just one part of the whole, but I firmly believe it is a crucial part.

Such amplifiers seem to be subjectively faster, almost instaneous in situations where the music is dense so to speak, with a sound stage full of participants. There is an air of immediacy and vigour I rarely find in traditional designs. The penalty are poorer specs, greater THD measurements, but also usually better phase response. It simply usually sounds better (usually - not guaranteed).

Last edited:
I would never compare my PCB design skills with the art of the musician, or with the ART I employ in painting or photography, different worlds.
Art is an attitude. A quest of harmony. A mysterious mix of skills, knowledge, rigor, and...love. You can apply in all and every of our human activities.
You look at some schematics, it is full of sweat. Few others are just luminous ;-)
"Simple and elegant" ;-)
marce, yes, I'm sure you are" too damn modest". Or you don't realize what happens in your brain, when you do something, PCB design or ...painting and photography.
"get the right notes at the right place and its then just joining them" ( in the rigorous context given by the laws of harmony and rhythm) for a musician ? Same attitude. Same pleasure when, mysteriously, things are turning suddenly perfectly "right". Working at its best, and beautiful to look-at.

Last edited:
But many of these topics are not "highly controversial" at all. They are merely people asserting things which are clearly untrue (like nonsense about feedback "delays"), and then putting their fingers in their ears when others tell them so. There can only be controversy about things which are unknown; once things are known there is nothing to argue about, it is just a case of learning and accepting the truth. Sadly, people seem to think they have the right to reject the truth even before they have bothered to learn it.

The starting point is usually someone claiming "i can hear a difference" while others stating that he can´t because it is impossible (see 1.) in my short list) .

While i agree (as i´ve surely said numerous times before) that the jumping to conclusion "i heared something and that has to be the reason" is unfortunately common, it is otoh also common to negate any hearing event if a faulty explanation could be rejected. Which is basically the same jumping to conclusion, as Jay already pointed out.

why isn't "the problem" equally that some "heard" differences in poorly controlled situations, internalized false correlations and won't budge, won't even try a better controlled listening test of their beliefs?

of course some of us don't begin to believe that that is anywhere near "equally" the case given the audiophile marketing amplifying the uncontrolled subjective impression side

Did i really say, that it isn´t the "same problem" ?
But, if you think a scientific approach is mandatory then it should be real science.

Given that you've consistently refused to provide the normal sort of details on your "positive results" so that they can be evaluated and replication attempted, as well as full disclosure of commercial interests, it's not at all surprising that "opponents" won't accept your assertions.[/QUOTE

Sorry,but i´ve given enough details about but of course it will not be possible to replicate something that happened roughly ~30 years ago (at that time my interested in controlled testing starts after reading an article from Dan Shanefield) and as one can not use the same detectors (aka listeners) it wouldn´t be a replication.

The disclosure is a quite new topic and thats another reason for my question directed to marce. It simply seems that there is always a reason why a certain result could be dismissed if it contradicts the personal belief.

That position surely isn´t unreasonable provided that it is not stretched to post insults or is used to dismiss anything based on subjective listening and that there exists a basic set of requirements that once fulfilled will lead to acception of evidence.

"Known audible thresholds" are not hard barriers but instead the mean of an underlying distribution in the population.
Quite often the research was done on small sample sizes which usually prohibited the estimation/construction of a distribution, but the few real large scale research done indicate that the distribution is normal and will sometimes be right skewed as a physiological barrier exists.

So, if you really argue wrt the known thresholds, you have to assume that at least some humans will be able to do much better (and of course a lot of people will do much more worse too).

Yes, I understand that.

I'm simply saying that if something is measured that is within known thresholds, there's no requirement of controlled listening tests. If it's outside known thresholds, you're going to have to do more to establish that it's actually audible at least to someone.

se

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
> Can you see that if everything is equal, then we will lose 3dB from the current source alone.

But then we only need bandwidth for Q1 but not Q2.
Couldn't something be done to reduce noise of the CCS ?

Patrick
Yes, an inductor in series. But they come with a a bunch of disadvantages. For nuclear science years ago the JFET-based charge preamps often had inductors in the input FET drain load. But they were not high inductance, as the bandwidth required did not extend to low frequencies.

EDIT: hadn't read 67587 when I posted this.

Last edited:
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
which can be difficult - but read Cordell's site, book, negative feedback thread for a much better treatment

the reason DVV may not want to get into the theory is because it demonstrates the error of this formulation and his own prejudices that he admits he is unwilling to reexamine, has never given Cordell, Cambrell, Cherry a fair read on the subject

for the "speed" of the feedback - try looking at the time evolution of the error V, it is not limited by the "100 Hz pole" - it is also a function of the loop gain magnitude at the error frequency - which can easily be a Million at 100 Hz in a high loopgain audio power amp
and we are not limited to Miller Dominant pole compensation when designing high feedback amps

the Margan paper is particularly stupid for trying to draw conclusions from Class B output crossover dead band - feedback does indeed "not work" when there are dead bands == no loop gain, no way to influence the output from the amp's inputs

Don't expect feedback to fix deadbands - don't design, build amps with deadbands - most here suggest >100mA per output Q AB bias

and don't fall for the Otala "prescription", flawed feedback heuristics - he got a very few things right but with his "TIM" writing majorly set back (or permanently impaired) the understanding of many

Originally Posted by kasey197
See as well Bruno Putzeys' article in Linear Audio, "The F Word" for a discussion of the response of an amplifier with flattened open-loop gain versus OL gain that extends to low frequencies. He argues that the latter should not be a concern.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
A way to reduce the impact of current source noise

Inspired by EUVL's use of floating supplies (for I-V converters), I've looked at how those can free us up in various design areas.

In the case of the simplified pre-preamp shown by John in post 67475, if a floating current source with sufficient voltage compliance is used in place of R2 and R8, except for certain circuit impedances that are not perfectly complementary, the noise in the current source nulls at the output!

Of course we need to have outstanding isolation if we're still attempting to power things from the mains, or use batteries---and the latter are going to run down in a hurry with tens of milliamperes being pulled all the time.

It's cumbersome, and extracting that last bit of noise performance may be deemed not worth the bother. But it can be done.

Brad

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
While i agree (as i´ve surely said numerous times before) that the jumping to conclusion "i heard something and that has to be the reason" is unfortunately common, it is otoh also common to negate any hearing event if a faulty explanation could be rejected. Which is basically the same jumping to conclusion, as Jay already pointed out.

You've nailed it here. :cool::)

THx-RNMarsh

Status
Not open for further replies.