John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Distortion and DC drift are secondary to changing the supply voltage. However the supply resistor would have to increase to 600 ohms or more to keep the Idle current of both the first stage and the cascode stage about the same current.
Let's see if any of you can recommend a QUIET 25ma current source, that will replace the supply resistor without adding noise. Any suggestions?

My quick attempt.
And perhaps add a cap in parallel with the LED, or even a RC filter between LED & PNP base.

Patrick

Attachments

• 25mA CCS.jpg
    25mA CCS.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 202
This current source would work IF you don't care about input noise. Unfortunately, current sources have noise gain, and it would probably overwhelm the noise contribution of the input stage since they sum together. Think of the current source and the input fet as part of a mixer where both contribute their noise.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Distortion and DC drift are secondary to changing the supply voltage. However the supply resistor would have to increase to 600 ohms or more to keep the Idle current of both the first stage and the cascode stage about the same current.
Let's see if any of you can recommend a QUIET 25ma current source, that will replace the supply resistor without adding noise. Any suggestions?

reconfigure circuit for self bias.

-RNM

@Esperado

I took a different approach to Alex. He contacted me and offered to make the board as a favor. In principle, I don't like accepting favors from people I can't return the favors to, and in the end, that one board morphed into three boards, main, piggyback board and the main PSU board. In my judgement, too much work to do as a favor. So Alex did it, I asked him for his address and sent him €200. That sum because that's what it would have cost me locally. Please remember that Romania has a lot of economic problems, so labor rates are way below what you would probably expect them to be as in France.

He came back to me saying that was way too much, but he and his wife could now contemnplate a proper summer vacation ?!? That really touched me, because in my book, his work was well worth it. Besides, I like to keep a clean tab, no leftovers, makes me feel better. As I see it, we both gained fair and square. And we'll do it again soon enough.

@Elektroj

In my experience, the key problem with PCB artists is that most of them do digital only and don't know much about analog audio. Alex is the different one, he is obviously well acquainted with analog audio, so his approach to designing the board is a clear advantage. You have very little need to explain anything, you just need to make your part sizes well known, unless written in the schematic he cannot know whether you want some capacitor rated at 100V or 1,000V, which is a whopper compared to the 100V version. Ditto for electrolytic caps. And you have to make it very clear how you want your power section connected, as through hole connection, as longer one side connection, or what. Do that and you're home and dry.

Last edited:
He contacted me and offered to make the board as a favor.
It is wonderful to see how some people with such a talent, taste for beauty and knowledge can be so often so generous people. That is what we wanted the world of freeware to be: the best stuff that can be done for pleasure with passion.
This said, I can't believe there is no commercial company who want to hire people like him to design their products and that such talented guys can stay half a second unemployed !

Alas, one of my best friends is a fantastic guitarist. Some kind of Larry Carlton for the technique, taste and inventiveness, plus the lyricism of some Eric Clapton at his best period. How to understand he lives in misery ?
Well, i tried to help him during my life, recommending-him for studio sessions each time it was possible. Very often, his great guitar solos or chorus were not used. Imagine, this poor singer hooting just after him ;-)
On stage with his groups, after all his solos, the public was standing...

Brad,
How often when you look does a speaker rated at 4 ohms drop much lower than that, it seems fairly common to see some extremely low impedance curves. I've been thinking about this for some time.

I've built two identical speakers with the only differences being the impedance of the coil, one 4 and the other 8 ohms. The actual efficiency ended up being practically identical, the 8 ohm coil being heavier but with a long winding length in the gap. The cost for the inductors for the passive xo on the 4 ohm version was much lower, 4th order, and this was some advantage in cost but otherwise I always questioned my decision.

After reading and comprehending some of the information in the book Current Drive for loudspeakers I am again questioning the use of low impedance voice-coils. Given the use of electronic xo's and some form of passive impedance compensation at the speaker what would you choose if given that choice when selecting the basic impedance of the device? Let's leave out upper frequency response for now controlled by mass.

Since Brad has answered and not mentioned the SY in the room, magnetic field is proportional to number of turns times the applied current. Resistance (not impedance) is proportional to turns. So when you double the number of turns, you double the resistance and halve the current so the field stays the same. (Roughly a 30% or less error.)

So why 8 ohms? In the days of glowing transistors the output transformer was required. The size and number of windings on the primary was pretty much a function of current and frequency response. The windings on the secondary were desired to be a minimum.

18 gauge wire, the standard of the day, had a resistance of .004 ohms per running foot. So for a public auditorium a wire loss of about 10% on a 50' run would be acceptable. Other folks of course used 4, 6 or 16 ohms.

The big exception was intercom loudspeakers that were 45 ohms. This allowed 350' runs in school buildings and gave a greater voltage back when the transducer was run backwards.

The upper limit is of course the rising inductance will limit high frequency performance.

I prefer 16 ohm loudspeakers when available for large installations and for background music 32 ohm custom made loudspeakers worked well. Although it confused just about everyone else who didn't understand how you could put 4-8 loudspeakers in a joint without 70 volt transformers or burning out the amplifier. (One BGM supplier did provide current output amplifiers just so they could do the same with 8 ohm loudspeakers.)

ES

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Since Brad has answered and not mentioned the SY in the room, magnetic field is proportional to number of turns times the applied current. Resistance (not impedance) is proportional to turns. So when you double the number of turns, you double the resistance and halve the current so the field stays the same. (Roughly a 30% or less error.)

So why 8 ohms? In the days of glowing transistors the output transformer was required. The size and number of windings on the primary was pretty much a function of current and frequency response. The windings on the secondary were desired to be a minimum.

18 gauge wire, the standard of the day, had a resistance of .004 ohms per running foot. So for a public auditorium a wire loss of about 10% on a 50' run would be acceptable. Other folks of course used 4, 6 or 16 ohms.

The big exception was intercom loudspeakers that were 45 ohms. This allowed 350' runs in school buildings and gave a greater voltage back when the transducer was run backwards.

The upper limit is of course the rising inductance will limit high frequency performance.

I prefer 16 ohm loudspeakers when available for large installations and for background music 32 ohm custom made loudspeakers worked well. Although it confused just about everyone else who didn't understand how you could put 4-8 loudspeakers in a joint without 70 volt transformers or burning out the amplifier. (One BGM supplier did provide current output amplifiers just so they could do the same with 8 ohm loudspeakers.)

ES

Interesting Ed! I could see a diy-er building OTL tube amps and rewinding driver voice coils to say 100 - 200 ohms to match that amp! My OTL tube amp used the then-available 400 ohms drivers from Philips.

jan

In my experience, the key problem with PCB artists is that most of them do digital only and don't know much about analog audio. Alex is the different one, he is obviously well acquainted with analog audio, so his approach to designing the board is a clear advantage. You have very little need to explain anything, you just need to make your part sizes well known, unless written in the schematic he cannot know whether you want some capacitor rated at 100V or 1,000V, which is a whopper compared to the 100V version. Ditto for electrolytic caps. And you have to make it very clear how you want your power section connected, as through hole connection, as longer one side connection, or what. Do that and you're home and dry.

PCB artists... never liked that term, its more science than art and always has been, SIV EMC etc a schematic is only a diagram, the layout will determine how the design performs. Do most of them only do digital, not really, there is much more digital these days but there is usually analogue in there somewhere and quite often RF with everyone wanting near field communications.
more later when I can get some internet!!!! Got a reply for Kindhornman, but cant upload it with docs.....
Also analogue layout is analogue layout, there is no difference between analogue layout for instrumentation, audio or anything else that requires analoge.
I never have nor never will put my name on a PCB design, It goes in the border text only (Drawn, checked, approved)...

Last edited:
As to PC card distortion this is the result of the same circuit with two different layouts. Note the nomenclature of "Fixed." I can't find the original but the unfixed counted on a through plated hole on the ground point and the performance was much worse. The repair was to fill the hole with solder.

I did show these before in this thread.

I also seem to have lost my test results on the distortion caused by different types of solder. I made up PC cards with 200 or so joints interconnected by the lead clippings from Holco resistors. I used both 63/37 60/40 and a sampling of lead free solders. Using my most sensitive distortion testing apparatus I was quite surprised to find with the all of the solder joints none were bad!

The lead free solders took a bit more heat and did not flow as well, nor were they as shiny. However even going through hundreds of joints there was no significant difference in distortion.

My PC tests clearly showed that if you resolder all of the connections on a PC card you most likely will see improvement as soon as you fill in the through plated holes.

ES

Never seen or heard of distortion due to solder in any other field, including audio!!!! strange
As to the PTH holes that sounds like barrel cracking, I would suspect this is a one off problem and not a recurring one these days, if the correct grade of PCB material is used.... I have seen this on cheepo cheepo designs with lead free processes where they have used laminates with a Tg rating only suitable for lead processes.

Last edited:
Counter Culture,
Where did you just come up with that drivel about what Christophe thinks about a circuit designer, if anything I think he was complementing the skills of the guy who helped him do the board layout?

Christophe,
You ask why so many speaker enclosures do not have impedance compensation to go with the speakers that are used in those enclosures. The real bottom line is that the majority of the speakers we see in the audiophile world are designed by people who;s basic skill is in making a fancy box and stuffing them with commodity speakers they buy from another company and just stuff in their pretty boxes. I highly doubt that more than a very small % have ever assembled a speaker or understand the basic functions of the individual parts of those speakers. They are truly just box stuffers and this is why the market is so full of mediocre speakers that have so many similar sound problems, Another problem is the simplistic thinking that goes into many xo designs, they are just classic by the numbers networks that just aren't very well thought out. Now I will say that this is not always the case and there are some really smart guys that do understand what they are doing but this does not seem to be the case with many audiophile speaker companies.

Marce,
One question about that article you put up about the PIM. When in the first few lines they are talking about the length and width of the trace, can I assume that the width is actually the width looking down on the trace or are they talking about the thickness of the trace, that is not made clear there? How does the trace thickness come into this or is it only the actual width that is the critical factor here and the spacing of those traces? I'm sure you could teach us a lot about board layout from your advanced knowledge of the subject.

Having trouble replying due to bad internet, working away from home as usual in a hotel.....
Trace width, distance from return path, copper thickness (weight) and dielectric are all important for calculating the various trace parameters, as the two pictures show for half and one ounce copper. The PDF is from my SIV software help, where you can go one step further and model traces, depending on how serious you want to get.
will post attachments later.....

Status
Not open for further replies.