John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Winding a cap puts stress on the film. Some times it is stretched. friction between windings and slow creep of the film until stress is all gone takes time. For high quality, high stability and high reliability there is a way to relieve the internal stress somewhat quicker..... it is by annealing the cap under controlled temperature. I wont tell you the exact process of annealing - temps depend on film material, of course.... but there is a process to it. Not all cap makers do it esp if price is the major consideration rather than long and stable life. At the same time the annealing process is going on... a technique is applied to remove any remaining trapped air between windings.

To the caps which the process is applied, it becomes a hard solid block and you can saw thru it with a fine toothed metal saw and it does not shred but looks like bar stock.
Excellent, Richard - thanks for that ....

I did this before but the peanut gallery made so much noise I had to give up. ....

I'll let the peanut gallery scream for a bit and then I will go on to why power supplies benefit from power line filters even thought Dick has already let the first cat out of the bag.

I am confused. Are you positioning yourself as spokesperson for the peanut gallery? Or have you been elected as such by your peers?

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Far from it, but if one of the most hardline objectivists since the early 80s can not only measure but also hear the distortion from polyester capacitors it should be a point of no contention. If you don't want to buy his book there is his burning amp presentation on active filters and crossovers on youtube for free.

Doug listens a lot. He got into this line of work by his own admission because he loves music.

You however seem to be bitter and twisted and intent on attacking everybody for no reason. Please try and calm down.

You however seem to be bitter and twisted and intent on attacking everybody for no reason. Please try and calm down.
Where did-you see any attack ? Or even a negative comment on somebody in my previous post ?
We are several to be really shocked by the way things are in this forum. Some people (members or not) had been defamed in the most illegal way by members witch seem to enjoy a strange impunity.

We are several (including some famous names who brought here a quantity of members because of their fame) thinking seriously to unsubscribe.

Even if i'm not necessary in agreement with all that Mr Curl said, i believe he certainly has more experience than most of the people here. And his career in the professional audio market is a prove of his technical competency as an electronic engineer. He deserves a minimum of respect (that is the rule in all the public places) and i'm shocked by the way he is constantly harassed here.

Yes, some listen. Because we know measurements are far to reveal everything. It is correct engineering to listen in the audio world. Part of the job.
Yes, we are interested in some aspects we are not able to explain. Yes, we believe it is stupid to be an ayatollah objectivist, while, on our side, we put all our efforts in *good* engineering. And a part of subjectivity does not challenges a competency that had been bought by several companies in the past, fashion or not.
May-be with more care, competency and experience than most of the bad educated critics here.
Some of us brought innovations, patented or not, to the audio world. Like the servos of Mr Marsh who had been treated of "Charlatan" by some obscure poster ... who is still posting.

We don't *only* read books and rely on somebody else opinion, we were out of schools since decades. On my side, i never discovered something that i don't knew yet in all the papers i had read from Mr Self. Who made a *very* good work of vulgarization. We discovered a lot of things by ourselves, and we always try to *innovate*. And think *different*. Because it is the only way to progress. I just remark that the brunch of bad educated naysayers or so calling "objectivists" here did not provide 1/100 of it.

If somebody have to calm down, it is certainly not me. I never make personal attack against an other poster without had been attacked first. And i don't accept the way you answered to my wink. You are not my father (may-be i should be your, or your grand father).

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Clearly school did not teach you any basic psychology or you would realise that your long reply shows you are clearly angered and defensive. Based on YOUR rules you were being defamatory towards someone else. You cannot have your cake and eat it.

If you had discovered it, why not agree with my assertion that polyesters are to be avoided in general? why go all upset with me?

In parting. Your S/N is low. You would not be missed if you unsubscribed. Neither would I but I don't make a fuss about it hoping for attention.

Based on YOUR rules you were being defamatory towards someone else. You cannot have your cake and eat it.
Please, tell-me where and against who. (Defame = tell false things that you cannot prove, harming someone's reputation)
If you had discovered it, why not agree with my assertion that polyesters are to be avoided in general? why go all upset with me?
But, i agree (while i don't feel polyesters brings so much evils ;-)
And, on my side, tend to avoid caps in the signal path as much as i can.
http://www.esperado.fr/vssa-diamond/Vssa-diamond-servo-dc.php
And my wink had nothing to trigger a paranoia. Even nothing against you or Mr Self. Are-you losing any sens of humor ?
I will not answer to your personal attack about my signal noise. Specially in this thread ;-)
By the way, i will not answer to you at all any more.

Last edited:
I am confused. Are you positioning yourself as spokesperson for the peanut gallery? Or have you been elected as such by your peers?

Is there really an issue here? The peanut gallery are the folks who sit on the sidelines and throw the shells at the performers. They have no structure and I certainly don't speak for them.

But I assume you are just trying to poke a bit of fun at this current puddle of poo.

Housekeeping!

Dick,

My best wishes for you and your family.

Yes, I get my Rel Caps from Michael Percy.

I am afraid we have to disagree a bit. Where you live I have no doubt most of the EMI is locally generated. In my neck of the woods virtually all of the AM, FM and TV transmitters are located on or near what one station called "Television Hill." Anyone living within a few miles gets lots of EMI. One friend could only get his old analog TV to work if he wrapped it in aluminum foil.

Finally I understand where you get upset about the noise around you, but I found it funny that folks seem to think you are an ignorant faker. Not sure what work or credentials would impress them.

SY,

If I have two capacitors of the same manufacture and product line, but one is rated at 50 volts DC and the other 200 volts DC and am testing them for DA which one will have more?

Scott,

You're wrong, you're wrong, you wrong. Not sure about what, but I want to keep in line with where this thread is going. :)

ES

Last edited:
It seems that this thread needs a timeout or to take a chill pill, it has become much to vindictive at this point. I'll say as someone who has done years of development in other areas outside of audio and including that, that many times in the past I have done work and not taken notes! When we are doing the work for ourselves or even for many companies the information that we develop never sees the light of day, it is proprietary or trade secrets. This doesn't mean the information is suspect or even untrue, just that it has not been peer reviewed or inspected by an outside force. There are some real bright minds on this thread, it is a shame that they have to argue rather than discuss things civilly. Yes we develop ideas and concepts that we hold dear or truths that may be found later not to be correct, but this is how things work in reality.

Can we all agree to lower the rhetoric, to bring the conversation back to a cordial level? It is one thing to argue facts, it is another to drag peoples reputation through the mud.

Status
Not open for further replies.