John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always had the wild thought that in a perfect world :) we could get the music recording tracks (source in digital form of course) and allow one to play around, being the mixing engineer, with something like cubase. It will never happen, as these sources are treated like IP.
That's already been achieved to a decent level, by Lexicon a few years ago - high powered DSP pulls the music apart, dissembling it into reasonably well defined separate tracks - which the user can reassemble as he wishes. Would have been a very expensive product, and supplies of key parts disappeared - and the project was cancelled ... some day it will happen again ...

That's already been achieved to a decent level, by Lexicon a few years ago - high powered DSP pulls the music apart, dissembling it into reasonably well defined separate tracks - which the user can reassemble as he wishes.
... some day it will happen again ...
Nooo... :)
Nural network f_up algorithm, well maybe that bit should have been there, or close enough, they will never know, after some mind alteration :) Sounds like a glorified "karaoke" processor, time for dinner.

And that sort of reaction IS what damages our hobby IMO. Instead of wondering if these people might have been right and Pono is emperors new clothes, you dismiss them, thus reinforcing the stereotype of audiophiles.

I`m not defending PONO, you misunderstood what I`ve said. The point is the percentage of the people that really care about audio reproduction.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I`m not defending PONO, you misunderstood what I`ve said. The point is the percentage of the people that really care about audio reproduction.

Whether they cared was a supplementary question and the only person who did already owned a Pono! The question was if they could tell a difference and if they did which they preferred. The people were asked that and therefore would have been listening. Despite our beliefs, and not knowing if the source material was actually any good we could take away from this that people without an inbuilt bias cannot tell CD quality from HD. Or we could say that they were not listening hard enough, or that they were untrained and therefore couldn't appreciate. Or even that headphones are a poor way to judge quality on stereo recordings. I know what I take from it and only have Occam to back me up, so accept that others will think I am wrong.

I will also add that my stats are too rusty to be able to tell if the results were statistically significant in favour of the iphone. But wouldn't it be great if we could discover/accept that a modern smart phone actually has audio performance that would have cost thousands 10 years ago. When a significant portion of people have a transparent reproduction system in their pockets, maybe there is hope. The rise in quality headphones in the last few years does bode well, shame binaural recording is not more established to take that into account.

What else wiki knowledge,
FLAC supports only fixed-point samples, not floating-point. It can handle any PCM bit resolution from 4 to 32 bits per sample, any sampling rate from 1 Hz to 655,350 Hz in 1 Hz increments,[10] and any number of channels from 1 to 8

Ahhh, this has nothing to do with it, lossless compression has to do with the entropy of the data. IIRC noise is around 3 or so which is a good model for music. Lossless compression applies to any data music or not. There are algorithmic lossless compressions that do better but the encode/decode times are very asymmetric, the encode requiring going back and forth over all the data.

A fun experiment (if you are nerdy) take a picture and JPEG it at the lowest setting. Then losslessly compress just the difference between it and the original. You can't win.

Don't worry, we've got the right people on the case ...

An even more exciting and intriguing development are the reports that Bill Gates, the world’s richest man is interested in LENR. The Italian media reported that Gates visited the Italian Agency for New Technologies or ENEA laboratories in Frascati to check out cold fusion research in November. Gates has long maintained that new energy sources will be needed to solve the world’s problems.

:)

Don't worry, we've got the right people on the case ...
:)

Maybe he can get Paul Allen to ante up a little too. I still think it's funny that when our CEO started a fund for a building at MIT Bill Gates wrote a check for $25,000,000 and just dropped it in the mail. It's actually quite controversial the only Geary building in Cambridge. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_and_Maria_Stata_Center

Last edited:
Last edited:
What have you expected from the review anyway?? For the ordinary people from the review video, the audio reproducing segment, is at the bottom of their life list, 90% of the people don`t give a f..k about audio, they even enjoy listening to low bit rate mp3`s highly compressed in the mastering on their phones with ear buds as long as it`s a their`s "favorite tune". That exact test could apply to every other audio product, speakers, amps, etc. So the review is pointless...
Ask everyday people, would they pay 4 figure price for any audio product. At least 90% of them would say NO. I hoped people here known that...

Actually a lot of people do, but they are the unwashed non audiophiles who don't want to worship cables just have a decent system at a decent price....
And not to be told constantly that you have to spend 4 figures per component to get good sound....
Or pay homage to the high priests of audiophillia....

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Bingo.

There are other high-res music services and as good and better players.

And their marketing often disingenuously conflates data compression with dynamic range compression.

se

Their business model seems to be to make money by selling people music (even if they already have it), rather than making money from the player. Or both.

Jan

Is the world really ready for yet another wonderful format, at yet another premium price (at least initially, or until the Chinese start making cheape copies)?

And we wonder why audiophiles are a diminishing group ... Every 5 years or so, somebody comes up with the "ultimate" solution to all our whining about poor industry practices. The sound quality level of "standard" gear is not rising, but is staying on about the same level with mostly cosmetic variations while inflation goes on. What exactly do they have to look forward to?

Actually a lot of people do, but they are the unwashed non audiophiles who don't want to worship cables just have a decent system at a decent price....
And not to be told constantly that you have to spend 4 figures per component to get good sound....
Or pay homage to the high priests of audiophillia....

I don`t see what is funny. Everything you told, I did not. I bet my system is cheaper then your`s. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.