John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I see in the POMO is a first class design (for the money) with an 'approved' DAC (determined by listening), with an open loop I-V converter, of the highest quality possible. The sources will be as good as can be practically done in digital today, so it will be great to compare this with analog vinyl recordings. I already have an OPPO 105 with the same or similar DAC so the comparison should be interesting.

IMO, if it is delta-sigma which all of them invariably are... it can't help but sound less than SOTA. 20 bit Burr brown ladder types, and other ladder types... outclass them all -- by a long shot.

No amount of low jitter clocking can fix a delta-sigma, it's a core design flaw. Save money, make inexpensive dacs, give good numbers, where the public does not know what it means! but the numbers look real good.... screw them with cheaper stuff all while looking like you a re doing them a solid.

some things never change.

BTW, SY, another cold fusion reactor test, totally independent, came up positive. As expected. If you see James Randi anywhere, try to be a good human and give him a slap into his grave with a 2x4 in the back of the head, for being a dark ops mouthpiece for all these years.

Last edited:
billshurv,
I saw that review and though I agree with much of it some of it is bs. We have no idea of what he is listening to this with, he could be using $5 earbuds for all you can tell by the article. Not a very good review in my eyes.

That be what is being said how is this any different than using an Ipod and using lossless files types like flack? Is the circuity really any better than the older Ipod classic with large storage capacity. The other thing is that it is rather large to carry around. Seems like this deserves to be put in the same category as Beats headphones, more marketing then substance.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
billshurv,
I saw that review and though I agree with much of it some of it is bs. We have no idea of what he is listening to this with, he could be using $5 earbuds for all you can tell by the article. Not a very good review in my eyes.

He tells you exactly which headphones if you read the review. The follow up is interesting where he deals with the backlash from the true believers. The only thing I can fault there is that he adjusted levels by ear.

billshurv,
I guess I just remembered the part at the end where the testers used normal Apple ear buds, not something I would ever consider myself as a useful audio test for resolution. Normal low quality MP3 is just un-listenable to me, I can't stand that. I don't know that I have ever heard high quality MP3, just what my kids tried to get me to listen to, couldn't do it for more than a few seconds.

What have you expected from the review anyway?? For the ordinary people from the review video, the audio reproducing segment, is at the bottom of their life list, 90% of the people don`t give a f..k about audio, they even enjoy listening to low bit rate mp3`s highly compressed in the mastering on their phones with ear buds as long as it`s a their`s "favorite tune". That exact test could apply to every other audio product, speakers, amps, etc. So the review is pointless...
Ask everyday people, would they pay 4 figure price for any audio product. At least 90% of them would say NO. I hoped people here known that...

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
What have you expected from the review anyway?? For the ordinary people from the review video, the audio reproducing segment, is at the bottom of their life list, 90% of the people don`t give a f..k about audio, they even enjoy listening to low bit rate mp3`s highly compressed in the mastering on their phones with ear buds as long as it`s a their`s "favorite tune". That exact test could apply to every other audio product, speakers, amps, etc. So the review is pointless...

And that sort of reaction IS what damages our hobby IMO. Instead of wondering if these people might have been right and Pono is emperors new clothes, you dismiss them, thus reinforcing the stereotype of audiophiles.

PONO = Same old crap, music companies controlling the source, thus quality.

I always had the wild thought that in a perfect world :) we could get the music recording tracks (source in digital form of course) and allow one to play around, being the mixing engineer, with something like cubase. It will never happen, as these sources are treated like IP.

When I bought the LP (use of the IP) many moons ago, the media has gone corrupt, I have no royalty rights ( using a registered S/N or key, my bill of sale) in order to replace it and not have to re-pay the royalty fees. I have to pay for the royalty rights again, in order to replace my media = a screw you customer (greed) marketing scam.

The ? is, does PONO have access to the source material for their distribution?, say a master tape and then re-digitize it to the resolution that the customer demands? I think not = same crap, just another day.

What else wiki knowledge,
FLAC supports only fixed-point samples, not floating-point. It can handle any PCM bit resolution from 4 to 32 bits per sample, any sampling rate from 1 Hz to 655,350 Hz in 1 Hz increments,[10] and any number of channels from 1 to 8
Since FLAC is a lossless scheme, it is suitable as an archive format for owners of CDs and other media who wish to preserve their audio collections. If the original media is lost, damaged, or worn out, a FLAC copy of the audio tracks ensures that an exact duplicate of the original data can be recovered at any time. An exact restoration from a lossy archive (e.g., MP3) of the same data is impossible.

I would like to know more about using a servo as the DAC I/V converter, any pointers for me? thx Rick

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.