John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Excellent, Karl - that one was fine, I was able to run it at full volume without any audible glitching from power supply issues. No below 100Hz probably helped but I didn't feel any loss of bass 'foundation' in the sound.

Since that is now easily available to all in good quality format, I might start off with some takes of that. Note, my recording device is quite primitive - check my blog - but provided I take some care I should be able to do a reasonable capture - my biggest problem is that the AGC can't be turned off, and it overloads beyond certain SPLs. So, I need to point the mic in the 'wrong' direction, or do it from another room - I'll see how I go ...

Excellent, Karl - that one was fine, I was able to run it at full volume without any audible glitching from power supply issues. No below 100Hz probably helped but I didn't feel any loss of bass 'foundation' in the sound.

Since that is now easily available to all in good quality format, I might start off with some takes of that. Note, my recording device is quite primitive - check my blog - but provided I take some care I should be able to do a reasonable capture - my biggest problem is that the AGC can't be turned off, and it overloads beyond certain SPLs. So, I need to point the mic in the 'wrong' direction, or do it from another room - I'll see how I go ...

Pleased you liked it :) It was recorded at Westminster Abbey.
You have a blog ;)

Where has all the high end gone,
long time passing,
where has all the high end gone,
long time ago.

Pavel is about to burst into song :D

And I was fooled into thinking you were a nice fellow, dvv, silly me ... :p
The fact that Frank's speakers use paper is not a problem, as I see it, what probably is a problem is that those paper cones are paper thick ("thick" is being generous). I dug up two woofers from my Korean made car some years ago and was astounded at their "thickness". But it sure explained why they sounded paper light.
Interesting point, I just tried poking the cones hard at one point in the middle of the slope on one side, and they seem fine to me, you can push the cone in all the way with this lopsided, sharp pressure and they just move in and out as one would expect.

On Australian Frank's PC speakers. I note that now they have problems not just up to 100 Hz, but up to 200 Hz. Over the next 10-15 pages of posts, I expect to learn that they are not so hot up to 500 Hz, and that there are some problems above 10 kHz as well. That reminds me of how my wife reports of expenditures after a trip. First report, oh, just a blouse. Second report, well, there was that pair of shoes as well, and the next day, yes, there were those T shirts too. She returned from Barcelona on Tuesday, and just yesterday, I was informed that she bought two pairs of shoes and two shirts for my son who was with her, as well. I expect to discover the actual damage done by Sunday.:D

You can't fool me, Aussie, I'm a made man who's seen the whole shebang many times. :p
Tsk, tsk, I've mentioned this behaviour a number of times: there's zero action under 100Hz and for about an octave above the harmonics are pretty prominent! However, I can remedy that to quite a degree by driving them extremely hard for a stretch of time, which of course is exactly what I'll be doing before recording - definitely will improve the tonality of the reproduced bass content. The organ piece is too tame for doing the conditioning, I'll need a dose of Foo Fighters on the edge of audible sag to give them something to think about ... ;)

http://www.q-audio.com/johncurl.pdf

I would advise you, in the strongest way possible, to download this PDF file and read it.

I am curretly reading it and by page 20, I have come to realize exactly why I agree with John so much. Reading it will tell you much about John, and I expect will help explain most of his views.

For myself, in all honesty, I have to say two things:

1. I now understand much better how is it possible that my vews, even on my level of development, correspond to John's to such an extent that I may as well say completely, something that has never happened to me in my entire life, even if my capabilities are nowhere near John's, and

2. I can't remember any text, by anybody, I have read in the last 20 years or more which were as heart felt as that text. As I got it, it's a text written from the heart for the heart, it feels truly genuine. Whether you agree or not with what John says in no way diminshes its worth.

And while I know just a small fraction about electroncs compared to John, I do know quite a bit about writing and authoring, having published over 260 texts in local magazines, authored and anchored my own weekly 45 minute TV show for 3 seasons, authorede and hosted a radio show for 3 seasons, etc.

Compulsory reading.

@fas42

You have indeed Frank, I am not denying that fact, but as time passes, I pick up more and more shortcomings surfacing.

I am sorry, but anything pretending to be a quality audio loudspeaker that has problems below 200 Hz is, to me, worthless junk, no matter what it does above that. By 200 Hz, it has lost like 80% of the impetus that drives the music, and what's left is, again in my view, simply not worth bothering with.

No matter how much training, by whoever, you invest in a one legged man, he will never run a sprint.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
John - you've designed phono stages, line amps, and power amps. You upgraded your Sony tuner's output stage - Have you ever designed the analog stages of a DAC? I have one of Erno's all discrete jfet DAC stages and found it a big improvement over the OP 627 (and other ICs swapped in over the years) opamps - much more resolving of low level detail, dynamics, and overall smoothness - I find the opamp version uninvolving and I move on to other things while the discrete stage holds our attention and we want to listen longer - not a spec , but a reaction others share when comparing the 2 versions

Last edited:
:wave2s:a

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 199
I am sorry, but anything pretending to be a quality audio loudspeaker that has problems below 200 Hz is, to me, worthless junk, no matter what it does above that. By 200 Hz, it has lost like 80% of the impetus that drives the music, and what's left is, again in my view, simply not worth bothering with.
That's nonsense ... if that were the case rock & roll would have have been stillborn in the 50's, and all car radios would never be turned on.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Of course, I use IC's. I have been evaluating linear IC's since 1966. They have been disappointing for the most part. Today's IC's are faster, quieter and generally better sounding, but I can and still do build discrete designs that sound better than any IC design that I can put together.

You're trolling - stop it.

That's nonsense ... if that were the case rock & roll would have have been stillborn in the 50's, and all car radios would never be turned on.

That's like saying imagine what the cavemen missed, they had no rock'n'roll at all, just rock (literally).

In the 50ies, the state of the art was ridiculous compared to these days. They had to listen to what there was, not to what it should have been, because they had no choice.

Scotty since VTA is also affected by VTF , this angle is usually dialled in after correcting vtf, get yourself a new test record , necessry at the very min and necessary for proper setup.
Or ...you can use on of those USB THING A MA JIG , and scope it out ..:)

Is that HFNRR test LP worth it? I can't get my self to buy anything from Chardas ;) I do have a full set of the RCA's with only a few plays. I have one of those USB microscopes, they've appeared by the dozens at work to set up probe stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.