John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today, I am continually asked to restart Vendetta and CTC. So far, no offers quite make the grade, mostly because I do NOT want to run the company. Still, I have confidence in those designs, due to the feedback from my former customers.

Actually some months back I asked Jam to ask you to give me a call to talk about something along those lines. You refused.

se

I've just chanced upon a PhD dissertation by Bernd Gottinger, who apparently hasn't been mentioned on the forum yet - this work has the intriguing name of "Rethinking Distortion: Towards a Theory of 'sonic Signatures' ", and, yes, it's precisely aiming at the very topic that is endlessly thrashed upon here, and on other threads ... mentioning many names of key people in the 'game'.

To give a flavour of the piece ...
Linear systems theory is a well-studied subject in electrical engineering, and most of analog circuit theory and digital signal processing relies on its presuppositions. Nonlinear interaction within systems, however, can only be understood with the help of some heavy mathematics. For this reason, the professional audio literature tends to avoid it.
A quite solid, chewy chunk of material is available to read from page 90 onwards ...

Being a Google Books preview a lot of good stuff can't be seen; however, there is plenty enough there to get a good impression of the points being made ...

Last edited:
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
I've just chanced upon a PhD dissertation by Bernd Gottinger, who apparently hasn't been mentioned on the forum yet - this work has the intriguing name of "Rethinking Distortion: Towards a Theory of 'sonic Signatures' ", and, yes, it's precisely aiming at the very topic that is endlessly thrashed upon here, and on other threads ... mentioning many names of key people in the 'game'.
That looks pretty interesting, and to some extent remarkable being accepted for a PhD in music. I'd have loved to have been a fly on the wall during the oral defense.

I have only just glanced over some of the early pages, but I can't help chuckling about the term sonic signature. I've forgotten the name of the guy that used to work with Peter Qvortrup at Audio Note (or maybe he still does) but he told my friend Don that you shouldn't have too many of the same type tube in an amplifier, and Don summarized this advice by using the phrase "sonic signature buildup", which made me giggle as it sounded like an ad for laundry detergent --- along the lines of "ring around the collar". What's a mother to do???

Humor aside I might actually buy that from the archive service, if I can't get enough out of the preview excerpts.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Humor aside I might actually buy that from the archive service, if I can't get enough out of the preview excerpts.
Well I got sucked in and ordered it. I read enough to figure it would provide at least amusement about the overarching scope, and read too much before Google previews cut me off. I did want to see what he actually had to say about the design of electronics, but I spent my freebies on preceding material.

I sent the link to Toole and Olive, and I'll be most curious to get their reactions.

That looks pretty interesting, and to some extent remarkable being accepted for a PhD in music. I'd have loved to have been a fly on the wall during the oral defense.

I'd rather have been on his committee. I got a copy through... irregular means and read enough to know that he starts out with some severe misconceptions about signal theory and perception, which professors of EE and psychology would have caught. He chose his major well- professors of music wouldn't generally be aware of these things. But having good criticisms at the pre-oral stage would have made this a much better piece of work.

I can see why some might like this- after 450 pages of gassing, he provides exactly no experimental support for his "theory." References to Bruno Latour are also a "tell."

Status
Not open for further replies.