John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is latest information fron Vishay. Quite compete.
Listening to all this may need 10 years at last and i thought that i am a freak.
The real freaks are at Vishay.
I like the oil filled zerro temkcos just by looking at them.
http://www.vishay.com/docs/49789/vmn-pl03.pdf

I notice that (page 7 of this doc) the low TCR is achieved by compensating the rise is resistance (due to decreased conductivity) by compression stress (metal foil expands quicker than substrate).

That sounds like the kind of feedback effect that works better under static conditions than under the stress of a music waveform.

I note that not everyone likes the Vishays in all positions, too.

Well, both two different datasheet pdfs that I got from Conrad on their metal film resistors declare them as Vishay Beyschlag MBB. IMHO the 0.6W rating (now that's something that should be guaranteed) is odd enough to distinguish these parts from all other 0.5W resistors. They also look like the drawing in the datasheet.

Price is about the same (9 E-cent) as the CMF-55 at digikey (10 E-cent), so maybe we are talking about different resistors here.

In the end, I have no means of checking it myself, but to me they look genuine and I have no reason to object.

Have fun, Hannes

EDIT: if I got the recent discussion correctly, these MBBs should be non-magnetic. Not that I care any about that, but that's at least something to check.

They used to, but they are not.

I have other sources for Beyschlag and they look totally different from those from Conrad, both from base colour and also finish (roundness, cylindricity, quality of the colour coding rings, ....).

Sorry to disappoint you.

Patrick

PS The other sources I mentioned only sell to companies and not private individuals.

Just for sake of completeness, the resistors from Conrad look like this

Beyschlag MBB-SMA 10 Ohm :: MBB-SMA Standard :: Beyschlag :: Resistors :: Passive Components :: Electronic Parts :: Banzai Music

the color can also be a much darker blue, but that's certainly due to different manufacturing dates and even may be from different plants. I have seen the same variations for CMF55 from digikey. Quality of color rings is always very sharp.

Anyway, I have the impression that Conrad is not exactly selling large volumes of these so have lots of older stock.

Patrick, maybe you could post a photo of your Beyschlags for comparison?

Have fun, Hannes

Just for sake of completeness, the resistors from Conrad look like this

Beyschlag MBB-SMA 10 Ohm :: MBB-SMA Standard :: Beyschlag :: Resistors :: Passive Components :: Electronic Parts :: Banzai Music

the color can also be a much darker blue, but that's certainly due to different manufacturing dates and even may be from different plants. I have seen the same variations for CMF55 from digikey. Quality of color rings is always very sharp.

Anyway, I have the impression that Conrad is not exactly selling large volumes of these so have lots of older stock.

Patrick, maybe you could post a photo of your Beyschlags for comparison?

Have fun, Hannes

I find the light blues and dark blues perform differently and I do not think it is the paint color.

I have several samples of identical looking resistors from different manufacturers, but generally when they look the same they measure the same. So either the color affects the quality or they are being re-branded.

Of course when you are making a catalog if you have a picture that is close enough and none that are exact, close will do.

Mouser lists some of the real ones, but only two values in stock 100 ohms and 10M, more are on order but at 22 weeks lead time.

I will try some of the 100 ohm units when I place my next order.

Beyschlag makes excellent resistors and i will call them on monday to add some clarity to this confusion. Nothing can substitude audition so this game " who makes the best sound" is still a matter of practical experience and will power and dedication to details.
When a component is successfull on the marketplace everybody will say:
OHH yes, this sounds good because they use the XYZ. resistor capacitor etc.
But comming up with your own solution and choice is much more difficult.
There is no recipy for success and what works on one ocation may not work under different circumstances. One last thought: a component that sounds superiour is most of the time not the component that sells well. Quality is only for the choosen few and nothing has changes since the midlle ages in that regard.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
No, this is a commercial design of John Curl. I've read hundreds of pages of this thread and of part one of this thread. Some people came up with some similar designs, from hints that John Curl gave them. Some members of this forum think that this design is obsolete and doesn't hold water (see syn08), others think that this is something special. It's best to make up your own mind, however painful that may end up being. Good luck!

Attachments

• sit_time.PNG
    sit_time.PNG
    65.2 KB · Views: 329
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Probably the loud snap as the supplies jump up and down will be audible by most people. If you are referring to the difference in leakage and RFI that may also be audible. There are several related issues so simply flipping the ac line external or at the entrance of the box isn't enough. You need to model the leakages and the RFI paths to optimize the power. Good isolation transformers usually help (bad ones are just annoying and usually buzz).

DC does appear on the power line, usually from a nonlinear rectified load (a light bulb with a diode in series to dim it for example). This causes residual magnetizing currents in transformers etc. making them buzz and have higher harmonic distortion.

Distortion doesn't simply add OR subtract. (Some people have proposed measuring the residual THD of an analyzer and removing that from the measured distortion to arrive at real distortion- it doesn't work.) At low levels the phase and amplitudes of harmonics and add or even cancel, usually only at the specific measurement conditions. Never so nice for music.

Status
Not open for further replies.