John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr John,

as it's evident that no-one takes me serious any longer, not even my dentist, can I adress my question to a fellow kitchen tile free-masonry'r ?

Whoa, that was years ago, good memory..:eek:. I've since tiled a master bath floor, full shower, the downstairs bath floor, and subway tile on the wall..both baths have radiant heat under, man that feels good on da feet in da winter..but boy, a 350 lb tub? Sheesh.. I will say though...minivans rule!!

Keeping in-line with JD's tunnel-phobia : suppose a cable had dual screens (a bi-assed tunnel, so to speak).
Suppose one screen is in contact with Jan's scr chassis, and the 2nd tunnel has a thing for Pin-1 of the receiving chassis.
Suppose both tunnels had a pressure relief valve, situated at L/2 (not a straight wire link).

What would you expect for the corresponding rejection number ?
I cannot answer that, I've never measured. My snake construct was created to solve a huge noise issue...I had a big problem, figured what the solution was, built it, and it totally eliminated all noise (below audible, but unkown how far below).. I didn't have to get my hands dirty with that disgusting "test equipment". Once the snake worked, the system was not broken...so I felt no need to "fix" it..

ps.. along the line..For the most part, my concerns have been near field coupling as opposed to farfield. The techniques for rf rejection can be significantly different than that of rejection of shield currents or loop trapping. RF, ya gotta ask others for that.
jn

Last edited:
TY.

(Haven't you heard, the web is frequented by psychopaths, who monitor your every move. One specimen is relocating to the 90F caribbean permanently in a couple of years, with a Sjögren's g/f that can't handle aircon, in pre-design experimental stage of a floor&wall cooling system with mixed natural ventilation)

read the article.

Mr Simon,

thanks for the link. (reminds me of the time I left an LP out in the open in the morning, before the sun made it to the corner)

As a groovy metaphor observer, a glimpse of a parallel universe : http://ethesis.unifr.ch/theses/downloads.php?file=StotzerS.pdf

Kind of hard to measure 1uV output at 2Hz. Can you do it?
However, I thought about the 'extrapolation' that was done, and it looks pretty good, BUT is it really worst case? What about 1Hz with a 10 ohm source? For the record, most MC are not at 100uV, that is just a low estimate for S/N. Typical cartridges are more like 300uV@ 3.54 cm/sec or 5cm/sec peak. Now, let's estimate what this 'typical' MC transformer does with 10 ohms, 1Hz, and 300uV. Hint: It will be significantly worse than previous estimates, based on the Jensen mc transformer graph.

http://www.ax84.com/static/rdh4/chapte17.pdf

(Just for fun would anyone care to guess what 5 degrees does to the stereo signal?)

Nice survey of cartridge types, jeez they tried EVERYTHING, even a variable reluctance RF (I had a swept RF generator that used that). I'd love to see one of those gold ribbon carts. I also love some of the "colorful" ways he describes how bad things get on LP's.

The stylus geometry does play into the mis-alignment problem.

One specimen is relocating to the 90F caribbean permanently in a couple of years, with a Sjögren's g/f that can't handle aircon, in pre-design experimental stage of a floor&wall cooling system with mixed natural ventilation)

Here's one from 1956 (smiling g/f not included) they used Peltiers. Mass quantities of solar panels (~.3% net efficiency) and you're home free.
http://www.vacuumtubeera.net/RadioAge-1956-10.pdf

Last edited:
http://www.ax84.com/static/rdh4/chapte17.pdf

has a nice bit about lateral recording and tracing. Those who can do the math can calculate what happens when you have a 1 CM bump and vertical signal components.

It might be useful to assume a worst case stereo cartridge misalignment of 5 degrees.

(Just for fun would anyone care to guess what 5 degrees does to the stereo signal?)

Interesting article.

Not much on anti-skate though. I used to use a 12 inch record with no grooves cut into it to adjust antiskate in the club, but I always wondered if the modulation of friction due to the grooves was much different than simple vertical friction.. And it didn't take very long to realize that antiskate was entirely useless when I was scratching. There, I'd have to run out to about 5 grams tracking to keep the needle in, and drop antiskate to zero.

jn

John already said that he DIDN'T do the measurements since he didn't know how to generate a 1uV signal. If you're going to misquote, misquote accurately. Since the order of magnitude is ridiculously low, you can do a "complete calculation." Don't forget to take into account the -150dB resistor distortion from loading.

Scott said nothing that's inconsistent with what I've measured or claimed. Where do you get this stuff?

OK, and (putting aside why anyone would care about 2 Hz distortion), what do you get at -100dBU, which is already considerably higher than worst-case for an MC cartridge? And how does this number compare to the modulated distortion in the audible range from the gross (1mm) stylus displacement?

Not really derivable from the charts supplied, but what's the relevance of -100dBu?
My ancient, insanely insensitive Ortofon MC-20 is rated at about -72dBu at 0VU. If you just want to make some point, make it, but choose some real numbers.

Thanks,
Chris

Nice survey of cartridge types, jeez they tried EVERYTHING, even a variable reluctance RF (I had a swept RF generator that used that). I'd love to see one of those gold ribbon carts. I also love some of the "colorful" ways he describes how bad things get on LP's.

The stylus geometry does play into the mis-alignment problem.

Yes geometry does count.

What I found interesting was the coverage of the moving coil cartridges. 11 mV at 1 cm/S output for one of them. The "RCA Test Record" had a maximum velocity of 18cm/S/ Almost 200 mV from a moving coil cartridge!

Status
Not open for further replies.