John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
During this lull in discussion, I might inject another view of the CTC line stage. From the bottom:

Attachments

• bottom CTC line.jpg
    bottom CTC line.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 317
My contribution: I hope that it answers a few questions. It is not the complete CTC Blowtorch power supply, but it is close enough for discussion.

It is always interesting to note that some Japanese manufacturers used a similar but not identical set up in their cheaper slim profile integrateds. Bando and similar had them in the catalogs,as low profile units, but single winding. And so... the manufacturers used them, as they used a pair...and ended up with some surprisingly hefty little units, with a notably high VA PS. And how good some of those amps ended up sounding, for a marginally built piece of gear. Too bad they used them for both channels. Ah well, can't have everything.

I thought that was what brilliant pebbles were for, did Geoff Kait consult on the layout?

BTW does anyone listen to their amps on batteries to compare to the power supply? I figure 10 SLA's could do a 100W amp. I can see it now all wired up with 4/0 welding cable.

Actually every so often we do a small reinforcement system that uses batteries instead of generators.

There is a big difference, but it is also an entirely different environment.

More seriously, form follows function. The basic layout shown in the last drawing IS the fundamental circuit path of the audio signal that flows through the CTC Blowtorch.
The layout looks almost like the schematic. This is the IDEAL approach.
Lately, due to space and added function considerations, some of my newest layouts, made by the same designer, Carl Thompson, of CTC are NOT as symmetrical, and get VERY confusing when we try to troubleshoot.
I prefer layout following the schematic, and will insist on it, in future designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.