John Bowers Active One Amplifier Boards

Hi, C305 has been replaced, along with all other electrolytics. I'm hoping that replacing the input LTPs with better match between the P and N sides will cure the problem, rather than adding offset to the board. The 3 other boards all hover between 10 and 25 MV once amps warmed up.

Hi, I'd like to thank you guys for your guidance on the problem I had with the DC offset.
As per my previous post, it appeared that the problem was the difference in gain between the P channel LTPs and the N channel LTPs.
I ordered a quantity of 546 and 556 transistors and gain matched 4 transistors. I also bonded them together to help with thermal tracking.
The 2 NPNs and 2 PNPs were pretty much spot on, although I couldn't quite get a perfect match between P side and N side the 2 sides ended up about 8 out. The offset has now been reduced drastically to about 3mv.
I haven't yet had a chance to put them back together yet, but waveforms and all else seems fine. I've left them on soak test for a while to make sure they remain stable.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, just a quick update. I pulled the transistors you suggested I check in previous post. I found N and P pairs pretty well matched between them, but not matched from P to N. The N side have gains of around 250, the P side has gains of below 90. All else checks out ok although I did note that R338 measured 15 ohms and should have been 12. Nothing else found. I've ordered a quantity of BC546 and 556, plus I already have a few to add so I can select some close matched pairs across the P side and N side.
Its a pleasure

They are good amplifiers, and may not need to be replaced, a bias of 100mA is ok
Active1s.png

Attachments

• BW-Active1-pwr-sm.png
    BW-Active1-pwr-sm.png
    94.8 KB · Views: 24
  • BW-MPA1-pwr-sm.png
    BW-MPA1-pwr-sm.png
    208.4 KB · Views: 23
  • BW-MPA810-pwr-sm.png
    BW-MPA810-pwr-sm.png
    105.7 KB · Views: 24
  • BW-MPA810-pwr-sm.pdf