John Bowers Active One Amplifier Boards

Hi, I am in the process of rebuilding a pair of John Bowers Active Ones.
All seems fine so far, apart from a slightly high DC offset of 130mV on one of the boards.
There is no adjustment preset for DC offset, and I am wondering if anyone could advise me on the possibility of adding a DC offset adjustment preset to the Amplifier Board?
I have attached the circuit diagram. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-03-07-17-41-14-15_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-03-07-17-41-14-15_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 180
Hi, thanks for that. I had a look at some other simar amplifier schematics to see if I could add offset adjustment to my circuit but couldn't identify a part of the pre stages where I could insert one.
I noticed your schematic adjust into the long tailed pair, but there doesn't appear to be a conventional long tailed pair in this circuit?

Clydear

Hi, thanks for that. I had a look at some other simar amplifier schematics to see if I could add offset adjustment to my circuit but couldn't identify a part of the pre stages where I could insert one.
I noticed your schematic adjust into the long tailed pair, but there doesn't appear to be a conventional long tailed pair in this circuit?

Clydear

See if these methods are useful ?

Attachments

• 100W.jpg
    100W.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 75
  • CA-100.jpg
    CA-100.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 73
  • DarTZeel NHB-108.jpg
    DarTZeel NHB-108.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Krell KAV500i.png
    Krell KAV500i.png
    187.5 KB · Views: 75
  • OFFset.png
    OFFset.png
    121.4 KB · Views: 80
  • Krell KAV500i 01.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
  • Krell KAV500i 02.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
Is there any that stand out as most suitable to adapt?
All those methods fall into two groups:
1) Injecting small DC voltage into sensitive nodes (feedback or input mostly),
2) changing DC balance (by changing certain resistor's value that controls current through some transistor) in appropriate node in order to equalize DC offset at the output.
If you want unconditional precision (independence from rails' voltage variations) use DC servo method (it falls into group 1). Of course, it comes with the price of added complexity. Google for it, have look around and when you understand what and how it works, you'll know what to do...;)

I did suspect that transistor matching might be the cause of the offset, but as I hadn't identified the long tailed pairs, I wasn't sure what transistors to start checking. Now armed with the extra info, I'll pull and test them.
It would be great if problem could be solved without any modifying.

Thanks for your additional tip.
I'll have an in-depth look around the ltp components and voltages when I return home.
The rebuild was mostly centred around dry joints and electrolytic capacitors. All 4 output boards are fully operational now, apart from the aforementioned offset on one of the boards. Difficult to confirm whether offset fault existed previously.

Hi, I am in the process of rebuilding a pair of John Bowers Active Ones.
All seems fine so far, apart from a slightly high DC offset of 130mV on one of the boards.
There is no adjustment preset for DC offset, and I am wondering if anyone could advise me on the possibility of adding a DC offset adjustment preset to the Amplifier Board?
I have attached the circuit diagram. Any suggestions would be welcome.
You could check the LTP and VAS transistors and also the caps in feedback path just incase somethings about to fail. Did you replace any of the transistors? What's the offset on the other? They shouldn't be too far off each other, looks like a good amplifier

Hi, all caps have been replaced, No semiconductors. The offsets on the other boards are all more or less what I'd expect, around zero to 15mV. I'll be carrying out further monitoring, as most of my attention, has been focused on the high offset one.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, just a quick update. I pulled the transistors you suggested I check in previous post. I found N and P pairs pretty well matched between them, but not matched from P to N. The N side have gains of around 250, the P side has gains of below 90. All else checks out ok although I did note that R338 measured 15 ohms and should have been 12. Nothing else found. I've ordered a quantity of BC546 and 556, plus I already have a few to add so I can select some close matched pairs across the P side and N side.

Reactions: 1 user
130mV seems like a lot of offset with C305 in the circuit.
if you matched up the input stage diff amp transistors, you might want to see if C305 is leaky or otherwise defective,
including cleaning any electrolyte if it spilled any.
i'd check that before trying to dial in some kind of offset voltage ...