JLH output stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I found this output stage in JLH's book. But something is strange for me: What is the current of MJE15033s, if the output stage has 100mA bias?

sajti

Attachments

• jlh_out.jpg
    jlh_out.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 607
My calculation is the following:

The current over R3 is ~6mA, due the output devices are open.But the current over R5 must be ~6mA as well. Because if it less, than the MJE-s are switched off. So I think that the current over the MJEs is equal with the base current of the output devices. Is it OK?

sajti

I plan to use it with valve VAS, so I need triple darlington to get high input impedance.
I have lot of MJE15032/33, but I was not able to select NPN/PNP pairs, because the '33s have much higher B. So I try to find output stage with same polarity driver, and output

sajti

ACD said:
Why ??
Only result would be to drive the driver and predriver harder ??
The total Base Current to 6 MJL's at 100mA idle would be app. 20 mA. That would be total app. 26 mA with R3=100R but 47mA with R3=22R.....

Yes, but the base current of the output devices is not well defined. And the lower value resistor result faster switch of for the output devices. With 100ohms, and 6 pairs the output stage will be 6 times slower..

sajti

No, but the current over the resistor is well defined. I want to define the bias current over the driver.

The charge of the base capacitance of the output devices will be discarged across the base resistor. Lower value base resistor makes the switch of faster. I think You use low value resistor in Your Linx amp...

sajti

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.