JLH Mosfet Power amplifier construction thread

The stereo version of the JLH 80Watt Mosfet amplifier, built from the Williams-Hart kit, was my first venture into DIY Audio and I was delighted when it worked first time (not a record I've managed to maintain over the years!). I coupled it with the HiFi News DCI speaker project (designed by Martin Colloms) and had a very fine sounding system as a result.

I was also fortunate to meet John Linsley-Hood - his bungalow in Monkton Heathfield was just a couple of miles away from me.

Reactions: 1 users
He was quite well known around Taunton, I recall he was a member of the local photography club and he used to write reports in the local newspaper about their meetings.

I met him when the Mosfet design appeared in, I think, ETI magazine, and I was interested in building it and he was very helpful with highlighting the PS fault that was in the article. He talked a lot about valve amps and the need to be modern and take advantage of technology developments. Personally he was very friendly but had an air of eccentricity about him. My abiding memory of visiting him at his bungalow was sitting in his front room talking with him lighting the open fire with what can only be described as a gas-fueled flame-thrower!

Reactions: 1 users
Wow, what a story, Nautiboy! :) Good to read.
Still no further progress with the builds, I have had some serious months behind me. But eager to continue work. I'm selecting parts from my Stock as I have time and fill the BOM, hopefully some restful weeks in january and do some serious work. I also dug out the transformer and checked its state. I have the skeleton of a big Denon multichannel amplifier that will accomodate everything nicely and a pair of noble VU needle meters to fit in it.