JLH 10 Watt class A amplifier

Here are the final files, PDFs , Gerber's and stuffing guides for this amp.

Got a quote from PCB mfgr , I can get the interested people the PCB at 6.5USD per piece+shipping&handling (approx 8 USD to USA)+paypal&packing charges (approx 3 usd).

If few people are interested, I can go ahead with mfg and open a new thread in GB thread.

Ok PCB specs

1.6mm FR-4
black mask
white silk
70um Copper thickness
size 300mm x 75mm approx.

Nice to see the GB is started and going on!

Prasi
I can not participate unfortunately, reason well explained earlier
By modifying your layout I came up with something will feet my heatsinks perfectly.
One more time I want to show my appreciation for your work!
Thank you
By the way I ended up the over all length 315mm, I hope I will found some solution (the right size toner paper)to transfer the layout to the clad board.
I made at least 100 or more PC boards these way, never long size like these.
What can I do, I do not like to work on a project and compromise it from the start.

Last edited:
Thanks Gabor, You are welcome.
I am a bit hesitant to go ahead with GB as I may not be able to test the design when I get the PCBs. Dont have trafo/chassis, Al bracket and spreader plate, etc. some of these are pretty expensive and so need some time.

Anyway to make the GB, I need atleast 30 pcb request.

so i will hold it a while. I have already posted the gerbers so anyone willing to experiment, can produce his own pcb.

All the best for your build and do let us know how your build sounds to you.

reg
Prasi

Thanks Gabor, You are welcome.
I am a bit hesitant to go ahead with GB as I may not be able to test the design when I get the PCBs. Dont have trafo/chassis, Al bracket and spreader plate, etc. some of these are pretty expensive and so need some time.

Anyway to make the GB, I need atleast 30 pcb request.

so i will hold it a while. I have already posted the gerbers so anyone willing to experiment, can produce his own pcb.

All the best for your build and do let us know how your build sounds to you.

reg
Prasi

I know that feeling:D
Built or tested about 100 amplifier some of them $$$ like 23Kg heatsink, 1.5KV transformer so on.
Some amplifier was not even tested in real life before I built it.
In your case the risk a bit higher because the GB.
I think these amplifier is so simple you will not have any problem with the PC boards. You are a great PC board designer with experience.

Again I ended up with the layout over sized 315mm and I do not find any good and affordably priced clad board.
It must be at least 320 or 325mm long.
Before used to get the clad boards locally here in Toronto, one place long time sold out the other place the store closed for good.
At the first place the store had a very good price, a 400mm X 250mm piece was 2 or 3 Dollars and was double sided.
The owner now days more into computer stuff.
I searched on the Ebay and nothing came up one place from China they cut it for any size but they sell the cheap crap quality 1/2 oz copper (way to thin for high biased Class A amp) and the brown bakelite type (not the fiber glass).
To bad, to order it from US or from Mouser etc. the shipping cost more than the material. :eek: I hate to do these kind of business. It drives me :hypno2:

Hi guys
I found these heatsink , I think it is excellent price with the discount and free shipping
I did not contacted with the seller, the last think I need more heatsink..
I know some of you asked for please check it out, may be the seller has some other type to

GS01 For Power IC Transistor Professional Rectangle Radiator Heatsink Heat Sinks | eBay

I have two or three bars (60cm) at home,
I use it to test big power amp,I just got to cool them :RÉ
You will not be disappointed .

Prasi, although your layout is longer than mine by 3 cm, the JLH does work as per the schematic you designed from.
Enough people has checked your board since your early posts so I don't think you need to be afraid.

I do not see any fault in your technique of layout, there does not seem to be things to close to others and my confidence level is very high, if there may be some issues, it will be from component choices, which you cannot control, but it is very easy to lay an 0805 SMD capacitor between base and emitter of a transistor under the board should it be necessary.

Last edited:
Prasi, although your layout is longer than mine by 3 cm, the JLH does work as per the schematic you designed from.
Enough people has checked your board since your early posts so I don't think you need to be afraid.

I do not see any fault in your technique of layout, there does not seem to be things to close to others and my confidence level is very high, if there may be some issues, it will be from component choices, which you cannot control, but it is very easy to lay an 0805 SMD capacitor between base and emitter of a transistor under the board should it be necessary.

Thank you Nico for your words. That's a booster.
Here is what I will do. I will order the boards.
I will begin planning case/ trafo+ other hardware for my own build ( which may take sometime due to budget constraints).
Meanwhile if anyone likes to get the boards from me, its their choice.

5 U case was on the cards from long long time, as I wanted to make it as a universal case for testing high power class ab 3-5 pair o/p devices or any of the class A amps. So this looks like a perfect opportunity.

Regards
Prasi

Thank you Nico for your words. That's a booster.
Here is what I will do. I will order the boards.
I will begin planning case/ trafo+ other hardware for my own build ( which may take sometime due to budget constraints).
Meanwhile if anyone likes to get the boards from me, its their choice.

5 U case was on the cards from long long time, as I wanted to make it as a universal case for testing high power class ab 3-5 pair o/p devices or any of the class A amps. So this looks like a perfect opportunity.

Regards
Prasi
look the old PA amp for spare or repair on ebay.
you can buy for peanuts

Thanks for letting me know, kokane.

to all,
Like I posted, I am going ahead with PCBs, will do so day after tomorrow, after a meeting with the pcbhouse.
As informed by PCB manufacturer, black masking on single sided layout is not aesthetic and effective, as it will not appear shiny black like double-sided layout., so need to soldermask on both sides.

very good info i learnt today,so thought to share.

regards
Prasi