JBL M2 for The Poors

I doubt it really is the TC9, there are a lot of drivers (way more expensive) with that look.
I know Audax uses similar shaped baskets for instance:
MX100_CONE.jpg

audax1.jpg

Wouldn't it be something if it really is a TC9? lol

Last edited:
The Audax posted was for other purposes, there are enough of them with terminals just like in the rendering. But I'm pretty sure Vifa does not have a 5+" TC9 (lol).

More pleased with terminals that look like this?
attachment.php

That's the HM130CO.

Maybe a look trough all of their literature would give pointers towards the cone material. After all carbon fiber usually is something to brag about.

Attachments

• hm130c0.jpg
    hm130c0.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 702
Last edited:
Lol :D ! The Experts DIYAUDIO : a new Entertainment !

I promise I will find the factory who made the cabinet with an ultra purple light:crazy: (disgusting !).... guessing Avantgarde just made the whole integration and the marketing:D

The most expensive cost is the shipment at AvantGarde !

PS : it can not be Audax ! : You know there are the strikes, the flooding, CGT Red Menace, la pause saucisson, les 35H, and i forgett certainly Something else ! Lol !... Ah yes the warning horn of the Police when it comes to the "aperitif" hour ! (around 17H to 18 H00 and also at 12h00 just before the meal !)

ps : Wesayso : the baskett shape is more like the old Focal!

Last edited:
:D

I'm a little short with money these days, but I would like to know how could sound your Tolkien's towers with the ScanSpeak 10F :D (maybe not better, but ond have to try to know.... Let ask some budgets to Google !.... 'm serious I see a lot of medical apps with it)

Btw I should be mad but I'm setuping some 3D soundstage with this Bowie's tune today : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39H8XyDWANk

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I did not know it was a 5in driver on the mid, if so then that throws it out. However what made me think it was the TC9 was the orientation of the terminal tabs and the small square magnet plate with rounded corners typical of the TC9 and TG9. I have not seen that construction elsewhere. If you look at the image carefully, you see the square plate with the rounded corner.

Here is TC9FD:
tc9fd18-08.jpg

Here is enlarged image to see detail of rounded corner:
553027d1464979525-jbl-m2-poors-tc9fd-img.png

Do the specs say 5in driver?

Edit: looked at the specs and it says 125mm mid so I guess TC9 is out :(

http://www.avantgarde-acoustic.de/zero1/_en/tech-specs.html

http://www.avantgarde-acoustic.de/zero1/_en/gallery.html

Attachments

• TC9FD-img.png
    TC9FD-img.png
    480.3 KB · Views: 861
Last edited:
Did you have the luck to have their 300 drivers catalog ? They are able to make unique OEM driver as far I know from an other french speakers maker !

The photograph we see about the view of the Avantgarde is soimething made with a computer : easy to change the surface of the cone, etc !

Maybe there is a deutsch review which gives the drivers model ?!

Did you have the luck to have their 300 drivers catalog ? They are able to make unique OEM driver as far I know from an other french speakers maker !

The photograph we see about the view of the Avantgarde is soimething made with a computer : easy to change the surface of the cone, etc !

Maybe there is a deutsch review which gives the drivers model ?!

Ok, as promised here we go.
Avantgarde does not produce its own drivers, they are however able to source OEM products from their suppliers. Apparently that's what they did for the Zero 1, at least with regards to the 5" midrange.

From the render I recognized the BMS, with its typical carved diaphragm housing and mounting 'outriggers'. The 12" seemed like one of the older Beyma's with their typical rectangular ribs of the cast alu frames. But I had my doubts on the midrange, tough its frame looked like 5MP/60N like XRK971 already pointed out.

A little search revealed some interesting technical details of the Zero 1.

These are the actual drivers:

Avantgarde%20Zero%20Drivers_zpsiuikcj7q.png

The comp. driver and the 12" seem obvious:

BMS%204524-08%20A-600x600_zpsydivgas8.jpg

SM212_zpsblrk8sxx.jpg

sm212%202_zpsjokvkgah.jpg

The 5" mid is the most interesting driver of the bunch. The basket appears to be identical to the 5MP/60N, but the (flat?) cone with integrated/inversed dust cap is custom. Noteworthy is the surround that resembles oldschool foam.

I dived a little into Beyma's 5" drivers and stumbled upon the old 5M30G (91 dB) and 5M30GV (93dB) both with foam surround. These are similar to the mid from the Zero 1 (identical alu frame with black lacquered screw holes and magnet plate) with the exception of the cone. Beyma seems the most plausible supplier for this 5". Even more if you take the long term 'relationship' between Beyma and Avantgarde into consideration (Beyma has been a main supplier since the early days of Avantgarde).

Beyma%205m30-8_zpscjph8jqw.jpg

These Beyma's look similar to Fane's famous Studio 5M, but are considerably less efficient compared to the Fane's 100dB.

studio-5M_300_zps5kvubujp.jpg

Both the Beyma and Fame 5" may be envisaged as reinterpretations from another famous driver (slightly back on topic now):

JBL%20LE5_zpsntmf3dv7.jpg

Last edited: