JBL L112 recapping

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,
I`d like to update/upgrade the passive components in my crossovers. The speakers sound fabulous but could probably do with at the very least a cap replacement seeing they are 30+ years old and most likely have drifted from spec.

I`m seeking opinions on which cap manufacturer to go with. Would the Solen metalized polyproylene Fastcaps be a good replacement for the originals?
They seem to be the most reasonably priced when compared to Hovland, Auricaps, Mundorfs etc which are very expensive, but some claim the Solens to be bright in nature :confused:
While in there, any benefit to replacing the WW resistors with Metal Oxides?

As always, any and all comments most welcome.
TIA

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 351
What ever plastic foil you use it is much better than the electrolytic ones that you replace. All caps have some microphony also coils are affected by large sound pressures. Mounting the crossover externaly or in a small plywood box inside the speaker will improve the sound more than any esoterically branded caps will! (Don asbestos suit)

Looks like it already has film caps and is quite well made. I think the only noticeable improvement would be to replace the series cap in the tweeter network with say a Jantzen superior Z cap or similar. Other than that I would leave it as original. Film caps generally last very well.

Two important improvements with L112's:
Remove the tweeter shielding. Improves perspective and removes some discoloration in the highs.
But first and foremost exchange the aluminium domes on the LE5's with paper ditto (to be had from Simply Speakers at 3$ a pop). Removes all harshness from the speaker. Trust me, this puts the L112 in a whole different league.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.