jbell's set of four tapped horns

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
38Hz Fb with not much output down that low.

The falling low end response limits 40 Hz output to about 118 dB with 500 watts, about as much as the speaker will safely take.

Up around 100 Hz, it can do about 10 dB more, more than twice as loud sounding.

If the T18 frequency response and output level suits the music you play, nothing wrong with it, though it takes a lot of EQ to get close to flat 40-100 Hz.

Check the speakers out carefully though, old surrounds may be ripped or ready to rip.

thanks all for the responses.

the speakers have sat for a couple of years. one of the drivers is blown and a recone job won't cost so much. the other one seemed to "come alive" after being played for a while.

i'm not trying to make my ears bleed with these things and won't use them away from home.

the cabs are made of void-free plywood, something unavailable here, and are in real good shape.

i have turned the high-pass on the SW amp to about 70hz.

is there anyway to improve the box design without destroying it?

i also have some jbl e145 woofers that would fit in the t18 boxes with a custom "adapter".

thanks all for the responses.

the speakers have sat for a couple of years. one of the drivers is blown and a recone job won't cost so much. the other one seemed to "come alive" after being played for a while.

i'm not trying to make my ears bleed with these things and won't use them away from home.

the cabs are made of void-free plywood, something unavailable here, and are in real good shape.

i have turned the high-pass on the SW amp to about 70hz.

is there anyway to improve the box design without destroying it?

i also have some jbl e145 woofers that would fit in the t18 boxes with a custom "adapter".

The T 18 has an FB of 38 Hz, a steep HP of around 30- 35 Hz for home use would be OK. In room response may improve the falling LF response.

The box design is what it is, optimized for high output with the cone it was designed for.

I don't recall the JBL e145 parameters offhand, but my guess is it won't work as well in the small box as the EV cone.

Can't hurt to try, and even if it does not work as well, you will get almost 6 dB more bottom with two cabinets than one.

Just make sure both cones are the same polarity, many of the old JBL drivers are backwards from the rest of the industry.

EDIT:

Looking at the specs again, looks like the Fb is probably 48 Hz, not 38 as they stated.

A 24 dB BW HP at about 45 Hz would make sense, though the spec sheet says an "active 32-Hz
high-pass filter with a slope of at least 12 dB per octave" should be used.

EV usually was pretty good with their specs, the T 18 sheet is a mess.

Last edited:
Hi Weltersys!

Figure one yes.

But refering to figure 2 of the pdf plot for 30W.

Regards,

The specs are all funky, I see what you got your figures from.

Looks like the box Fb must be 48 Hz, not 38 Hz, another mistake in the spec sheets.

By the way, your post confused me at first, EV used to make a 30 inch speaker called the 30W.

That speaker did go low, but required a refrigerator sized cabinet.

Art Welter

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    54 KB · Views: 683
PASC,
To put it in to perspective, jbel’s Stadium Horn is over twice the volume of the EV T 18 , 692 liters compared to 320 liters for the T 18.

The Stadium Horn is about 102 dB sensitivity, pretty well flat to 40 Hz, it has about 8 dB over a pair of T 18 at 40 Hz, a huge difference.

it seems that my original post was moved to a different thread.

anyway, right, the T18 has a larger scoop area than the jbell cabinet does.

the original thread contained something about adding a panel section to the T18. i assume this meant to the front panel covered by the protective screen. wondered if a panel about 1/2 the height of the opening affixed to the bottom of the enclosure might make some positive contribution to smoothing the decreasing output wrt frequency?

"is there anyway to improve the box design without destroying it?"

Hi nuconz!

My solution for the 4 boxes I've made in past was:
-Cut out what I could from internals with hand jigsaw; remaning parts function as braces;
-Attached a total front panel of 18mm to the box over the existing front;
-Than cutting out the circunference needed to mount the 18" driver frontal;
-Cut out three 4" diameter holes to attach the ducts;

The BR boxes I've sold and are working for many years with no fails up to date. The owner is still happy with them.

To make same way you need calculate net internal volume, add driver specs and volume to a program like Winisd and simulate it.

Another option is to try a PPSL...

3rd option is refer to a cube 18 at free speakerplans, which could give you a way to go...

Regards,

"is there anyway to improve the box design without destroying it?"

Hi nuconz!

My solution for the 4 boxes I've made in past was:
-Cut out what I could from internals with hand jigsaw; remaning parts function as braces;
-Attached a total front panel of 18mm to the box over the existing front;
-Than cutting out the circunference needed to mount the 18" driver frontal;
-Cut out three 4" diameter holes to attach the ducts;

The BR boxes I've sold and are working for many years with no fails up to date. The owner is still happy with them.

To make same way you need calculate net internal volume, add driver specs and volume to a program like Winisd and simulate it.

Another option is to try a PPSL...

thanks much PASC!

got any photos of these mods?

PPSL?

Cleared?
That’s the use I give to the remaining T18 box I have near my table saw.
Note that the side panels of all boxes I made are 28mm.

Sadness the waste of ply.

Regards,

i'm trying to avoid a waste of ply. EV used void-free plywood in these enclosures. as a sealed or ported box with about 8 ft3, it would be best to "recycle" the wood. no waste.

i might not use the EV woofers in the boxes. i have a pair of JBL E145 that will tune to 30 hz in 8 ft3 @ 98 db/1w/1m.

Hi,

The EV T18 specs say: 11.5"W x 24"D x 32.8"H, that's 4 ft^3 gross internal volume minus braces and driver displacement. If you glue two of your T18s together you might get close to the 8 ft^3 you are looking for.

Regards,
Oliver,

Your specs are wrong, the T18 is 24.8"W x 24"D x 32.8"H.

Big enough to make a decent size BR.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 993
Hi!

So, if ply is 18mm thick, recess of front panel around 4cm for grille, gross volume should be around 252,3liters.

Net internal volume = 252.3liters, minus braces, minus driver, minus ducts and we can play with sim program and come out with a good box IMO.
The image at post 467 shows refurbished boxes made so.

Regards,

Thanks for the horn resp oliver, however I think to make a real comparison, excursion plots need to be added.

The stadium horn I will only run up to 50v, and the ss15 I feel comfortable running up to 63v.

Does someone have an updated Hornresp input screen for the Stadiumhorn to share? The one I have doesn't model as well as the ones I see here.

A few other questions regarding the Stadiumhorn:
-will making it 24" wide (external) impair the horn's output much?
-will making the bottom rear corner of the enclosure angled (for casters) impair the output much? (I don't think it will - just verifying)

plans ???

JBell which is the plane of these boxes, SS15 is different right?

update: I did a live band sound check today with my new JBell TH subs. I am very happy:D:D:D. The kick drum is loud and clear all the way to the back of the room and then some. and yes these subs are very directional. as you walk around the cab it gets softer. and on stage behind the cabs is nice and quiet. this makes for a very controlled sound. I love it. I even tried turning the cab to see if it makes a difference and it does. I had them aimed at the plywood side wall and they were rattling the crap out of the wall. when I turned them back to the center the walls stopped rattling. if that isn't directional, I'll kiss your ***. I have the perfect sub for me now. I will be building 4 more of these in a few weeks. then on to the perfect tops. any suggestions JBell, my new best friend? LOL

Thank you so much for this great sub that you and your friends designed.

Regards,
SHAWN

stadiumhorn is very different from ss15. Post 1 from the single sheet TH challenge thread has links to the plans for ss15. Plans for StadiumHorn are in this thread, post #38.

SS15 is designed for max "typically used" spl from a small lightweight box, that can be built from a 4x8 sheet. In other words, it is not designed for 28hz sinewaves from EDM style music.

StadiumHorn is a 2 sheet plan, that is designed for max low output down to 35hz with max efficiency at 40hz, sacrificing a bit of 60hz on up spl, in an install only, non-mobile environment.
StadiumHorn is also 50v excursion limited, where SS15 is 63v excursion limited. Both should be highpassed about 35hz.

For what you want -- ss15, and a lot of them looks like your best option. However I will encourage you to do the same thing I have suggested to others. Build one, put a driver in it, and test for yourself, with your music. Do a comparison with a single T48 that you already have built, and see/hear the difference. Extrapolate that to the difference you will hear with a stack of them. If you decide it is worth the investment, build the other 11 cabinets. From there you can decide if it is worth investing in drivers that can handle more power, more cabinets with the exact same driver, or if it really doesn't fit your needs, go with something big, like a BC18 style TH, that you can find plans for here on this site.

Last edited:
Stadium Horn, plans ?

Hello again JBell respond very kind, I'm interested to know whether the stadiumhorn can use my speakers Eminence Kappa Lite 3015LF, and if I can do redireccionarme for the plane, and I have not seen in Post # 38 and said excuse me not yet familiarized himself with the forum.

Greetings.

stadiumhorn is very different from ss15. Post 1 from the single sheet TH challenge thread has links to the plans for ss15. Plans for StadiumHorn are in this thread, post #38.

SS15 is designed for max "typically used" spl from a small lightweight box, that can be built from a 4x8 sheet. In other words, it is not designed for 28hz sinewaves from EDM style music.

StadiumHorn is a 2 sheet plan, that is designed for max low output down to 35hz with max efficiency at 40hz, sacrificing a bit of 60hz on up spl, in an install only, non-mobile environment.
StadiumHorn is also 50v excursion limited, where SS15 is 63v excursion limited. Both should be highpassed about 35hz.

For what you want -- ss15, and a lot of them looks like your best option. However I will encourage you to do the same thing I have suggested to others. Build one, put a driver in it, and test for yourself, with your music. Do a comparison with a single T48 that you already have built, and see/hear the difference. Extrapolate that to the difference you will hear with a stack of them. If you decide it is worth the investment, build the other 11 cabinets. From there you can decide if it is worth investing in drivers that can handle more power, more cabinets with the exact same driver, or if it really doesn't fit your needs, go with something big, like a BC18 style TH, that you can find plans for here on this site.

Stadium Horn .

Hello Sr.JBell, and check the level of post # 38 for the Stadium Horn, my question is, if there are any changes to this plane?

Reviewing some post of Stadium Horn and SS15, I think for my use better the Satium Horn, no matter what is spent plywood 19mm, and regardless of the large size, what really matters is to be competitive with T48 I have to not give those deep and far lower.

There are some post about more of Stadium Horn and read comparisons regarding commercial speakers, as Yorkville, Cerwin Vega and Danley.

Greetings. sr. JBELL.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.