• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Jaybird’s TSE-II build...here we go!

Relax......I may be using a 5U4 in my 45 version of the TSE...although it hasn't got nearly the miles on it as my 300B version.

You could also find a physically smaller 6H choke that has more resistance if you are married to the 5AR4.....or perhaps add resistance in series with the choke you have.

Also, although a bit tricky on the PCB you could add another RC stage to the power supply..this drops volts and noise too. Actually, you could add the additional RC stage off the board between the choke and C5. It would go choke, new cap to ground, resistor, then C5.

Last edited:
Jaybird: You have two things working against you on the power transformer....

The first one is that the actual voltage tends to run higher than the rated voltage for Hammonds, and the second is that your transformer is rated for 230ma and you are pulling about 80ma out of it, so it's loafing along. If you were to pull lots more current from the transformer the voltage would drop.......hard to do with 45's. One upside is that this transformer could easily drive 300B's in the TSE.