• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Jan's HV regulator

Yes, parasitic capacities, inductances etc. can make things worse when building it for real.

But a model from the manufacturer for a recent MOSFET will not be so bad that it is not possible to simulate a circuit like this regulator correctly. Spice is used widely in the industry. If it would not even allow simulating this rather simple circuit (no offense, I could never design myself), then it would be completely useless.

So, if a MOSFET does not work in the circuit in spice, I think this can be caused by the circuit reacting less robust / stable for some of them.

To not choose one which makes this trouble in the "real world", I would rather select one behaving in Spice at least.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
But a model from the manufacturer for a recent MOSFET will not be so bad that it is not possible to simulate a circuit like this regulator correctly
Ahh, you're an expert on circuits and parts modeling? That's good to know.
Anyway, it's not a matter of 'it doesn't work', it's a matter of correctly simulating the impact of unmodeled properties and parasitics.
Spice will do whatever you want, it's the models that are not fully complete, as well as the PCB and construction parasitics that you need to input!
But hey, it's your project!

Jan

I have now finished Jan's T-Teg5 with my own layout (just a little bigger than Jan's original, but I like to do my own if I can).

In my test setup, using a variac as input, followed by just a bridge rectifier and a 100u cap, I met the targeted 175V almost on the spot (I used spice to find the right voltage-defining resistor at 50% pot setting for 175V).

The regulator is intended for a 300B B+ supply at 425V, so the 175V was just a test, but I am confident that will work too, given the flawless operation at the test voltage.

Regarding MOSFETs, I have tested with IRFPG30PBF, as well as with IRFPE40PBF, both from Vishay. Both are working perfectly without any change, like the Zobel circuit I had used in my sims (see some posts above).

Thanks, @jan.didden for publishing the circuit.

1711989093042.png

1711990131111.png

1711989139648.png

1711989942295.png

Last edited:
IRFPG30PBF, as well as with IRFPE40PBF
Correction, copy-paste error. I have successfully tested with IRFPG30PBF and IRFP460BPBF. For testing purposes I had also bought IRFPE40PBF, but did not test with that yet.

Also, be aware the above are TO-247, which will not fit on Jan's original board, but there might be identical with the footprint Jan has used.

Last edited: