Jamo D870 Concert 11 speaker Midrange Replacement

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I just bought the Jamo Concert 11 speakers for a good deal only to find out that one of the SEAS midranges was on it's way out. I don't think that the seller knew. Anyways, has anyone figured out a good replacement for them?

The part number is:
20525 W17E-JAM SEAS

It is a magnesium SEAS driver. Pretty nice actually. Cabinets are great etc. I don't want to end up having to part them out. The speaker that works sounds great.

The midrange failed in the weirdest way. The voice coil came off of the cone. Also, the magnesium cone was corroded even though the rest of the speaker is in perfect condition. I am surprised to see those issues on such nice drivers.

Let me know if you know of a good replacement or happen to have one!

These were one of the most mindblowing speakers when I started the hobby in the 90s.

Corrosion in Seas Excel Magnesium cones where it literally falls part is common after so long. I thought it was due to the humidity in South east Asia here but I guess wrong.

Unfortunately Seas has moved on to 15/16/18cm sizes so there is no modern replacement.

You'd have to look for NOS Seas W17 Excel midwoofers as a replacement. There really are no alternatives.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Fishball79. I agree, they are pretty nice looking and very well built speakers. I will try to find the woofers for a while before I part the speakers out.

Face, I did contact SEAS. Here is the reply that I got this morning:

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately, as you might already know, we do not produce these anymore. Therefore you can only find these sold privately, second hand or if any of our distributors still have stock of it. You could search the web on Ebay or similar, or you could contact our distributors to see if they have any left.
If you are out of luck, the E0018-08S could be a good replacement:

http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=358:e0018-08s-w18e001&catid=49:excel-woofers&Itemid=359"

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Thanks, I just did that. I have reached out to a lot of companies today to see if any would be able to restore the driver that I have.

Hopefully I will find someone who either has one or can repair the one that I have. I really want to hear these things! The build quality on the Jamo speakers is pretty intense.

I just bought the Jamo Concert 11 speakers for a good deal only to find out that one of the SEAS midranges was on it's way out. I don't think that the seller knew. Anyways, has anyone figured out a good replacement for them?

The part number is:
20525 W17E-JAM SEAS

It is a magnesium SEAS driver. Pretty nice actually. Cabinets are great etc. I don't want to end up having to part them out. The speaker that works sounds great.

The midrange failed in the weirdest way. The voice coil came off of the cone. Also, the magnesium cone was corroded even though the rest of the speaker is in perfect condition. I am surprised to see those issues on such nice drivers.

Let me know if you know of a good replacement or happen to have one!
Hi mate, I was wondering if you had any indication of the driver failing, before it actually failed.
There is a set of D870's for sale locally to me in Australia and reading this post kinda spooked me, as it seems to be a recurring problem with this midrange driver.
I just wanted to know if I should look out for something in particular.

Cheers mate.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Not really. I think the sound may have been slightly less on one side. The driver started making a buzzing sound and then went out shortly afterward. It had been a while since the speakers were used so. I think it would be a good idea to get the D870's if they are a decent price. They are kind of rare. Woofers by themselves are even rarer.

The other thing to look at is the drivers tend to corrode. Pull the drivers out and look at the back. See if they have corrosion on them.

Last edited:
I sorry to bring bad news......

I own a pair of Concert 11.

Mine also had a failed magnesium midrange, after inspection actually both had the corrosion problem. After a long search all over the web, I purchased the last remaining pair of new drivers, supposed to be built in 2019 with some kind of upgrade for the corrosion, from Falcon Acoustic in the UK on October 2019 (JAMO 20525 W17E-JAM SEAS H0853-04). I took the opportunity and purchased new tweeter refurb kit also.

The bass drivers originally used were Jamo's own 170mm (Jamo 20577) which are also discontinued. I contacted Rueegsegger Acoustics in Switzerland that has some NOS Jamo inventory and was supposed to have some pair, but Heinz replied that they had run out of them. However, Seas P17RE/P 1 H0816-08 Woofer is a suitable size replacement. Essentially the same basket as the magnesium mids, but with poly cones installed with the corresponding voicecoill.

Before I found the drivers at Falcon Acoustics I had contacted Madisound in the USA.... Adam, who is super knowledgeable, gave me the following alternatives...

"If you simply want to get the speakers back up and running, the only driver that is a drop in replacement is the ScanSpeak Classic P17WJ00 6.5" Woofer. This is not as high end of a driver, certainly a downgrade performance wise, but still an all around well liked performer.

SB Acoustics “17” frames are 171mm OD, so might fit the recess in the Jamo front baffle but I can’t say for certain how tight their tolerances are on that recess route out. They flanges are also a little thicker so might potrude out from flush depending on how deep they cut the recess. However, the SB Acoustics SB17CRC35-8 6" Woven Carbon Fiber Cone Woofer - 8 ohm would be a high performance choice and the price is quite attractive for that quality of driver. Same cone as the Morel carbon fiber woofers (which are too small) at a fraction of the price."

Hope this is of help.

Also....

Joseph Audio has used these SEAS magnesium drivers since about the same time as when Jamo came out with the Concert 8 / Concert 11. Maybe they have spares, but I doubt that they will of that size due to the same reason. Weather they would sell them to non Joseph Audio customers is another matter, I guess.

One last thing.... I read a while ago that some owners had replaced the tweeter with the later model, T25FC002. its supposed to be less pronounced at the top frequency, but its pricy over $380 each.

Now, thats all the info I have...

Hello all, first post. I just picked up a set of Concert 11s for 500$ with cheapo Vifa replacement drivers for the corroded/shattered Mag woofers. Actually sounded pretty good, and for what I paid phenomenal, but I wanted to know what they were really supposed to sound like with the SEAS Excel midrange drivers. So I designed some adapter flanges for the new generation 6-hole pattern at 176mm diameter. I opted for the W18NX001 version of the excel driver with the paper cones instead of the W18EX001 Mag cone because I’m not keen on expensive speaker drivers that shatter after 5-10 years of use. Here’s some pictures of them installed. The adapter sits 10mm proud of the face of the speaker, and the grills don’t fit anymore, but holy hell, these are the best sounding towers I have ever heard. Feel free to flame me if you think they are ugly, I’ll be busy listening to some live concert recordings. 🤘🤘

Attachments

• 905A1FAE-1806-4F1E-82C4-E19B0B11D2D1.jpeg
    905A1FAE-1806-4F1E-82C4-E19B0B11D2D1.jpeg
    269.3 KB · Views: 161
  • 454BAA02-CF07-4EF8-A0DF-3086E132D386.jpeg
    454BAA02-CF07-4EF8-A0DF-3086E132D386.jpeg
    310 KB · Views: 157
Cheers Mike, I didn’t have the heart to modify the cabinet. Also, I don’t know what material they used for that black portion of the cabinet, and whether or not it would play nice with a router bit, or shatter from vibration. I would like to get some measuring equipment, because while the W18NX is pretty damn close on the spec sheet to the original W17E, I have no way of knowing what woofers to use for the low end of I want to upgrade them in the future. The only thing I know about them is that they have 10-ohm printed on the magnet, and the magnet seems way too small/light for a proper high excursion woofer intended to be a dedicated low end driver in a 3-way tower. I see that SEAS has a nice looking(on paper) bass driver in the H1878-08 that would fit the cabinet using my 170mm to 176mm adapter flange, but there’s no way I’d get away with dropping that in there without needing to rework the crossover network. Not brave enough or experienced enough to take that project on today, but maybe in the future with the right equipment.