Jamicon capacitors? Anyone has had experience using this cap?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2001
Geoff

In the thread you mentioned, the question was asked about Jamicon capacitors but never answered. Jarthel was just asking the same question again. Probably trying to find an answer. He said he searched first. The way you did it sounds like you want to make guys feel uncomfortable which is not helpful at all.

I often use Jamicon caps and have never had any problems. I have used them in high end gear and have not heard any sonic degradation. They have good specifications, I tend to use the 105degC electros.
Some people are very particular about components, especially electros, and will disagree I'm sure.
One thing to keep in mind is that electrolytics are best replaced after about 10 years of age.
Regards WALKER

Originally posted by walker

Some people are very particular about components, especially electros, and will disagree I'm sure.

For my own tube amps? I weed them §$%&in' electros out, you bet! But for solidstate amps and low voltages methinks there's no escape from elelctros and i am glad to know which to take :)

Jamicon, hmm, interesting. Up to which voltage rating and capacity are they available?

Another hint I got from a very experienced amp designer: he loves the Siemens/Epcos B43503 electros intended for switching power supply use ("snap-in" mountable) which are available up to 450 V and also usable for tube amp PS. I suppose any electro well-suited for switching PS use will do fine for an amp. Such caps ought to handle quite some bandwidth.

Jamicon capacitors are usually far bigger than other brands of the same value. Other brands such as Panasonic and Samwha continously decrease their physical sizes, whereas Jamicon stays the same as in the 90's.

This would mean that we audiophiles have to love them! :)

My personal, and limited, experience is that they tend to not have the best specs.
They are cheap and many medium priced audio companies use them. Such as musical fidelity.
I often replace them with more expensive stuff, but I do not recall any early failed ones in linear applications.

In heavy duty switching applications I have heard of many failures and seen a couple myself.

I've almost never seen Jamicon capacitors used in commercial products, they are mostly seen along with fake caps in hobbyist projects due to their typical availability from less reputable, local electronics dealers. Only the typical low competence/low budget consumer gear manufacturers (such as Musical Fidelity, Tangent, etc) use these capacitors. Putting better capacitors in these products is a waste of time, as the overall design and parts quality throughout is generally very poor.

Jamicon caps are usually very expensive for what you get, and with low performance and reliablity. It's a smarter move to buy cheaper, better caps, such as Panasonic and Nichicon.

Last edited:
C'mon, Musical Fidelity has not always been that bad.
E.g. I have a pair of M250 monoblocks that sound very good to be bipolar transistor low bias class-AB.

Also for example the M6CD sounds really good. It is just a tad bit overpriced :)

Ecler seems pretty serious to be PA stuff.

And I think I would agree on Tangent not being that great :)

I'm sure Jamicon is better than all the crappy Chinese caps that most manufacturers today use!
Everything from ChingDongDang to B&W has used very poor quality caps during the last decade.

And no, I never buy Jamicon, because e.g. Panasonic FC is better and not overpriced for audio applications. E.g Zubycon ZL is good in computers and TVs. Got some fresh samples from NCC and they were surprisingly good for a reasonable price!

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
When I see Jamicon caps they are removed and replaced at once. Unreliable cheap stuff, I can not stand that A brands use this kind of stuff. Any picture of the innards of one of their devices makes clear that they tried to save some money. I just read someone saying they sound good. Well they may be the poor mans Black Gate, I know they fail more than I like. Specs are so so too. I guess one would be surprised if the ears would be the tools to judge quality/reliability of caps :D

Some brands don't have anything to loose and go the other way I noticed. Lelon was one of THE worse brands in the "bulging cap scandal". Today they produce quite decent caps. As I replaced hundreds of them with leaking electrolyte my mind is triggered when I see them but anything that has the right date code can stay. With reluctance (books are judged by their cover and all) :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.