Is there more to Audio Measurements?

Status
Not open for further replies.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I meant the microphone during the initial recording, it is picking up ie measuring, everything that is then being reproduced.

No matter where it is the microphone only captures a small part of the wavefront — why we often see way more than a pair of microphones — and one of the reasons that with current recording technology no hifi is going to be able to reproduce a real world performance. We are starting with a facsimile of the event being captured (ignoring recordings that were never “real” in the 1st place (most studio recordings or even computer generated tracks).

dave

Before I do - explain what you understand by "only captures a small part of the wavefront" & "ears have a limited physical extent"?

Because I suspect when I give the explanation you will say that's what you meant.

Edit: I really should have said I need to know what your understanding is so I can formulate an appropriate answer to where you are currently in your understanding of auditory perception?

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Same as our ears

True. But ears are usually a binary pair separated by a head function, with a lifetime of programming to sort out all sorts of details.

Back here;

To quote Floyd Toole:
Two ears and a brain are massively more analytical and adaptable than an omnidirectional microphone and an analyzer.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
A wavefront exists in 3D space (4D if you count the progression of the wavefront). A mic captures a 2D point in the wavefront.

Ears have the ability to capture a more complex portion of that wavefront. 2 ears spaced apart on either side of the head, complex earlobes, and a huge amount of processing power trained to analyze the raw data.

dave

If you are reluctant, maybe the other Scott wants to explain what was meant as he seemed to be sure ""only captures a small part of the wavefront" (your phrase) & his phrase, "ears have a limited physical extent" both meant the same thing?

The wavefront is everywhere, recordings routinely use multiple microphones sometimes many feet apart. AFAIK you have two ears probably less than a foot apart (limited extent). As far as I'm concerned this whole discussion of not being able to sample exactly the wavefront impinging on your ears is a red herring. At some point the audio information is contained in two 2D signals (amplitude vs time) and the information they can contain is limited by fundamental principles.

Status
Not open for further replies.