Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

The number one choice was black... If I could beat it with some other palate, then ok, but if not, default to black. So here we are and I'm loving it. A few more coats on the innards and I should be able to get a more consistent shade. I just can't do nicotine yellow 🤮
1712036919284.png

Once I get it black enough and use up all the pure tung oil, I can go for the glass colored clear coat.
1712037051985.png

1712036707947.png

1712036724843.png

Reactions: 1 users
btw,

the whole discussion can be reduced to the fact that a point source is good for a really realistic soundstage representation

here a massive example, with the big hall and the long listening distance this is still a point source

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...t-work-with-whizzer-cones.410910/post-7646414

in my small home office i have swapped from the XT1464 horn stuff to this one

in my small room much more realistic soundstage representation

FAST-HO-Capture.JPG
FAST-HO-SPL-Capture.JPG

measurement taken about 30 degree off axis - on axis the waveguide make a really bad break up at 5kHz with the Sonido FR chassis

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
To make it even further point source, eliminate diffraction at mouth. If there is no sufficient rollover the mouth (diffraction) makes secondary sound source for some bandwidth, which might not fulfill definition of a point source anymore. Of course everything depends on how a point source is defined, in this real world implementation, if it's lack of crossover (group delay, distortion, so on) within some bandwidth then yeah, but if all sound sources being always within 1/4wl or so that no meaningful destructive interference happens to any direction is another matter, and whether secondary sound sources with the speaker (structure) are count in or not :)

Last edited:
Last edited:
View attachment 1294392
Cutoff means nothing, without designation... I asked for a 150hz and I got what I got... I think mine might a little larger than this.

holy moly @camplo, i checked the end user price list, a pair of this guys is really expensive

but if you have bought them at the thread start in 2019 probably 30 - 40 percent less...

sympathy for the devil - 666 posts in this thread

;)

for my budget when the huge room under the roof is ready i would like to take this guys here

https://www.bcspeakers.com/en/products/horn/1-4/0/ME464

i think there is a chance to reinforce it like this here

reinforced-HR9040-horn-Capture.JPG

Last edited:
I know that you (and others) believe that as displacement goes up so does "distortion" and hence lower sound quality, but there is no evidence that this is correct, and I highly doubt that it is.
I assume you're familiar with BL(x) and Cms(x) ?

Have you ever modeled what this does to the actual system response?
The BL in particular.

There is nothing left of that system response anymore.
I have seen cases where the Fs shifted extremely significantly (well over 30-40%) and the Qt (= BL) peaked well over 3dB.
And before you're gonna say the same thing again, yes from actually high quality expensive loudspeakers.
And even in a situation with room modes, these effects are noticeable in a relative (quasi) static environment.
Any music noob can hear these kind of changes in EQ.

Sure this isn't a problem when big woofers are being used at baby sound pressure levels.
(since there is barely any cone excursion)
But since you put this as a general statement without additional context, it's important to explain the nuances.

Also, there is a direct relationship between Le(x) and (intermodulation) distortion.

I don't see much relationship between Cms(x) and any intermodulation components.
Although in theory this will always change IMD components, since it changes the system response itself as well as the low frequencies complex harmonics.

But a dropping/changing BL definitely has a direct effect on the overall driver performance as well as back EMF components.

I might be mistaken, but I think Klippel has a paper about this.

As for that distortion is always "bad", that is a totally different can of worms buried in a deep rabbit hole part of a philosophical chicken-egg story.

if you have bought them at the thread start in 2019 probably 30 - 40 percent less...
That is oddly specific... In case the phrase doesn't translate "When someone says something as if it is vague or hypothetical, but there is an unusual amount of detail"
1712166861550.png
1712166593307.png
1712166614789.png
1712166639989.png

1712165830908.png

I really do not like smoothed measurements. I know that our ears don't hear exactly how measurements show, sometimes, but, if there is a difference in measurement, theres a chance it is an acoustical difference that could be perceived. For some reason, smoothed FR/GD measurements, to me, are like Participation Trophies
"You get a smooth response! You get a smooth response! You get smooth response!... You are all getting smooth responses!"
1712167269322.png
1712167319190.png

Last edited:
Heres mine
1712172532478.png

Unsmoothed is best for critical analysis, I'm not sure whats the use of smoothed response except for showing the trend in the face of large amounts of comb filtering.

Unsmoothed, this is a measurement I took outside, some leveling eq, 1meter
1712172898047.png

and a unsmoothed rough voicing indoors 1meter
1712173025745.png

Last edited:
Fyi: Equalizer APO has allpass filters... and the plugin can be completely bypassed if worried about latency.... otherwise, it is will process global audio so if you have a sound card like me, (focusrite) it is upstream of that.... I was think ing that I could possibly use this to test audibility of group delay? My headphones are down at the moment so I've been using my in-ear monitors. I could predict the group delay in VituixCad.