Is high-end audio just lots of gimmicks and high price tags ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Agreed strongly depends on point of view.

Electrons do not suffer any resistance in vacuum but do in metals and moreover in semi-conductors. At a very low temperature atoms became almost "frozen" so electrons can go like there no any solid body similar to vacuum.

I read somewhere MIT guys made some king of superconducting nano-material. If I am not wrong it is basically very thing carbon tubes that has size smaller then air atoms to not let them get in but obviously large enough for electrons to flow. Not sure how costly it might be in mass productions if it is doable.

BTW transistor is a Bell Labs invention as I heard.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Not sure how costly it might be in mass productions if it is doable.

Mass production for what purpose? Faster computers? They aren't doing it to advance sound reproduction.

The big advance in 'audio' would be to take all of the gear out of the picture, take the listeners ears out as well and do a direct interface with the brain itself. Of course, we are a looong way away from something like that and rest assured, it would only be an off market of the real research thrust.
Even if this were to come about, there would still be a staunch contingent of fools who prefer to do it the old fashioned way.

The whole molecular gastronomy thing is... well...

I got served one of these creations at a two star and my first reaction was, this looks and tastes like phlegm. Adria, Blumenthal, Cantu and the gang are more self-indulgent than actually entertaining. Their copycats are even worse.

Only Arzak delivered some substance while holding back on the over the top stuff. At 585 Euro for lunch for two YMMV.

High-end 'phile' magazines have a standard practice of putting the price next to any product they mention. A un-biased audiophile reviewer or reader should not consider price during the review. Price should be a footnote added by the publisher at the end of the article. Certainly the reviewers are intoxicated with handling super expensive products. In my mind, they are largely responsible for perpetuating the myth that price is a measure of quality. Certainly there is a correlation between price and sound quality. But you don't need to know the price of something before you evaluate it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.