• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Iron Schmitt, Concertissima & "the third" phase inverters :-)

Having read the good writings and ideas of Lynn Olson, mentioning N. Crowhurst and D.E.L. Shorter from BBC (Illusion Engines)
I have decided last year to imagine some transformer based phase inverters aiming to obtain the lowest THD possible and consequently using small amounts of negative feedback, if any. The classical phase inverter in which the primary is driven in single ended and the two secondaries are winded in phase opposition is no good for me, the THD levels are too high and the phase shifting begins at around 14-15kHz.

To the best of my knowledge the following 3 circuits are new but please feel free to correct me just in case you have seen it elsewhere. In all these circuits I have used transformers made by me, of a special/custom design, after countless hours of tests and "trial and error" attempts. "Iron Schmitt" and "Concertissima" are built around CRGO/GOSS, while the last one is built using permalloy 47% core. For the time being I can't tell more about these xfmrs but this situation can be changed in the future, we'll see...

I won't forget to thank to Bud Purvine, Pete Millet and Lynn Olson for their patience and guidance over the last decade, thank you guys!

Attachments

• Iron Schmitt.jpg
    Iron Schmitt.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 782
The classical phase inverter in which the primary is driven in single ended and the two secondaries are winded in phase opposition is no good for me, the THD levels are too high and the phase shifting begins at around 14-15kHz.

The output stage is the main source of THD, so what is the point to reach 0.05% at phase inverter when the output tubes generate 2...5%?

What you've shown to us here are just phase inverters with transformer coupling to the next stage, as phase inversion still happens with the tubes. Anyway, due to the transformers' relatively small primary DC resistance when compared to conventional designs, higher signal swings are possible especially with your Iron Schmitt and your totem pole (I'd not call them similarly with Concertina). I'm not sure about that with your 3rd design, though.
Best regards!

What you've shown to us here are just phase inverters with transformer coupling to the next stage, as phase inversion still happens with the tubes. Anyway, due to the transformers' relatively small primary DC resistance when compared to conventional designs, higher signal swings are possible especially with your Iron Schmitt and your totem pole (I'd not call them similarly with Concertina). I'm not sure about that with your 3rd design, though.
Best regards![/QUOTE

Yes, that and one more thing; if someone will try a LtSpice simulation (or whatever simulation engine) will see that using two dissimilar output resistors, say, 200k and 20k, the signal will still remain equal on those two branches...

"The third" is based on cathode follower principle, where the higher gm the lower output impedance. Here tubes with gm=12mA/V and higher are suitable, but the voltage amplification is done by the xfmr

Last edited:
Your first and third sims are missing L5 from the transformer statement. Are they (L5) separate chokes in those circuits?

Nothing is missing, L5 is an audio choke built after "parafeed" rules, meaning minimal capacitances. It can be avoided with the disadvantage of complicating the circuit a little but is not worth it because THD will be anyway higher w/o choke. I have tested both variants.

When I started playing with these inverters I've also considered a variant with 2 extra windings, as in local reaction, sort of... but as I said, the circuit with choke is better and simpler. You can see the choke as a constant current source, the most vintage one :)

Attachments

• schmitt 2 extra windings.jpg
    schmitt 2 extra windings.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 412
Last edited:
Having read the good writings and ideas of Lynn Olson, mentioning N. Crowhurst and D.E.L. Shorter from BBC (Illusion Engines)

The classical phase inverter in which the primary is driven in single ended and the two secondaries are winded in phase opposition is no good for me, the THD levels are too high and the phase shifting begins at around 14-15kHz.

Could Bud not come up with something decent? I mean the 1950s phase inverter transformers I am using do 15Hz-30KHz within 1dB and have a max output at 30Hz of 2x 50Vrms. 10K to 2x 100K.

Edit: these are AC-coupled (no DC through the primary). Besides that, is a 14KHz phase shift noticeable? When reversing the polarity of my tweeter I can hear no difference.

Last edited:
Could Bud not come up with something decent? I mean the 1950s phase inverter transformers I am using do 15Hz-30KHz within 1dB and have a max output at 30Hz of 2x 50Vrms. 10K to 2x 100K.

Edit: these are AC-coupled (no DC through the primary). Besides that, is a 14KHz phase shift noticeable? When reversing the polarity of my tweeter I can hear no difference.

"Decent" is a good choice of word, I'm aiming a little higher, by circuit design. If you ask Bud he'll tell you that classical interstages 70-80 years ago can be improved employing new, better materials, but not 2-3 times better.

For the specs you mentioned that IT transformer should have at least 40-50H in primary and 2x400-500H in secondaries... this is hard enough to achieve. I've done it, but as I said, I've obtained much better results with my new circuits.

I've not mentioned yet but my interstages have rigorously same Rdc for corresponding windings, obtained using a hybrid winding technique, proprietary in fact.

Best regards