Iron Pumpkin(s) and other smaller vegetable animals

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I don't like Naim preamps; too much things hanging on poor volume pot

Iron Pre is more neutral (JFet buffer being pretty much invisible, fed with more than decent shunt reg), also having more dynamics , due to fact of gain originating from xformer only- nice simple Signal Energy Preservation proven device

Spooky - meaning:

- even more neutral JFet buffer (shunt reg being exclusively one per channel),

-skipped Universal Signal Energy Antipreservation Device ( resistive volume attenuator),

- Autoformer at output doing both volume level selecting and gain , if asked for

so , don't ask me for NaimSchnaim and lookalikes** :)

**I'm not saying that anyone else is not having all rights to like most whatever he chose

Dear ZM,
I'm facing a dilemma.

I need a volume control between my DAC and my speaker amps.
The DAC is DIY, it features I/V resistors followed by a buffer and a transformer (that can handle a little DC). I use only balanced connections for now.

I was thinking of getting better transformers with volume control: Sowter 9335 TVC.

BUT, one day or another, I'll be getting a tuner, a CD player, etc... so wondering if the Iron Pumpkin could do the trick, understand being more versatile and a more effective investment, being able to attenuate and switch different sources.

What do you think?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
well, you'll not find me modest there (even if I'm usually exemplar of Modesty :rofl: )

You'll hardly find anything comparable on the market, considering sound quality and versatility of package

regarding sound quality alone, if overall invisibility of stage is the goal , Iron Pumpkin can stand its own against anything imaginable, regarding price tag

feel free to search and draw your own conclusions

I'm deeply convinced, ZM 😁
My question was more technical.
Do you see a problem if I connect the DAC right after the I/V, with a few mV of DC?

The actual buffer after my DAC is for better driving of actual transformer. It has to be bypassed if used with Iron Pumpkin.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
no, no DC allowed in Iron Pumpkin

it is designed to be DC coupled all through, and solving DC Offset problems - at source side - wasn't my job while constructing it

even if I did include small cap on input of buffer, first thing ppl would ask is - "can I remove that?" :)

so , considering 100K of Iron Pumpkin Rin, even 330nF as coupling cap on output of your DAC should be good to have proper phase at 20Hz (being calc. for 5Hz F3)

edit:

"few millivolts" .......... that can be many things ; practically, even stages with active servo are rarely ditto at 0mV level, so we always have some DC residual.... practically, we are not loosing a sleep if line level thingy is having few mV of fluctuation, but how much is allowable always depends of rest of signal chain

I'm sure that IP wouldn't be bothered wit +/-10mV at input (thinking solely of AVC behavior), and whatever gain setting of IP is, there is no DC gain

but, you must count is there DC gain in your output amp, or not .........

those are the reasons why I think that, say, 10mV is border value for line level stage DC offset ..... while 100mV at output of amp is peanut value

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
no reason

in fact, I did send one with two rotary switches extra, to connect to gain headers, so Chap could use them as separate gain controls, thus working as balance control

though, to my liking, having so disparate speaker position is too much of compromise; I'm not so HiEndish regard life, setups and everything, but when I invest money and time, then I can be sloppy and not-caring where I'm sitting and how ..... as a matter of choice, not necessity

in other words - make it perfect, then sit on one speaker , if you prefer :)

sov

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Finally I put the IP_SE_TL together. The TL is for Turtle-less. Frankly I was a little nervous for having a solder bridge somewhere. While powering up and setting voltage and offset I noticed how gentle it setled to stable values and took some measurements . In all gain contradictions I hooked the Pumpkin to F4. ZM, know the cricket behind the speaker. I heard it smile with a wicked twitch in the corner of its eye. My brain has normally a burnin for a couple of weeks but after 30 seconds I too got something twitching in my eye. Thank You, ZM!

With F4 and full throttle I got 80 dB in my sofa. I will set it up with F6 and Aleph J later if my smile fades :) I don’t think my speaker(105dB) has ever sounded so nice.

My wife is happy withe oak front so now I have to upgrade the other ones.

Attachments

• IP_Pumpkin_ladder.jpg
    IP_Pumpkin_ladder.jpg
    1,017 KB · Views: 348
  • IP_SE_Ladder_pot.jpg
    IP_SE_Ladder_pot.jpg
    992.2 KB · Views: 353
  • THD_IP_SE_ladder_full_volume.png
    THD_IP_SE_ladder_full_volume.png
    284.2 KB · Views: 311
  • 1V_s20k_ip_se.png
    1V_s20k_ip_se.png
    61.9 KB · Views: 314
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
high Rout enabling xtalk

remedy is disabling grounding of unused inputs and parallel connection of "normally off" relay contacts

see attached picture

if you remove mosfet htsnks, you can find adequate L bracket to mount your attenuator in between channel pcbs, using extending shaft and coupler, thus shorting connection wires drastically

disassemble old bad pot with 6mm shaft, use its face part and you have nice sleeve for extending shaft , for front plate

one thing - I did found those pre-made ebay attenuators tricky - they can start cracking and loosing contact relatively soon

I'm using sorta same switches for controlling Turtle relays, but each one is disassembled and well greased before putting on pcb, which is logically not possible with already assembled attenuators

good to know, if happens, you're not first

Attachments

• Iron Pumpkin SE pcb sshot NO MUTING.jpg
    Iron Pumpkin SE pcb sshot NO MUTING.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 242
Last edited: