• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Introducing the Buffalo III-SE-Pro 9028/9038

Joined 2007
Paid Member
The quick answer is no, unfortunately, unless you control the DAC via I2C. Is there a way to automatically lower the starting volumes of the I2S sources? For example, Spotify has an initial volume setting in its configuration file. Of course, analog turntable will still be cranked up…

Last edited:
Thank for helping,

As the Volume from TV is fixed (to max) for digital out on my TV-set and the signal from toslink Modul to spiff in can not be made louder the other way would be to lower the volume of BIIIpro and turntable.
My question here would be is it better to operate the tube preamp on lower volume settings (atm for i2s it is set to 20 to 25% and for spdif at 50% of volume knob) or would be setting the preamp volume to 50% all the time be as good in general.

Branko

Joined 2007
Paid Member
On my 3-way 6 channel system I have toslink spdif coming from the tv. When there is an exceptional sound track the good equipment really add to the enjoyment. Most of the tim, however, pristine audio does little to improve the program.

This is *pure heresy*, but what if you didn’t use the B3Pro for SPDIF? You could try one of the countless cheap miniature SPDIF DACs from China and run analog tv sound into your tube preamp at a volume comparable to the I2S. If that wouldn’t be enjoyable, I understand completely. But what if 15€ (+\-) could indeed solve your volume problem and the sound quality didn’t suck?

On my 3-way 6 channel system I have toslink spdif coming from the tv. When there is an exceptional sound track the good equipment really add to the enjoyment. Most of the tim, however, pristine audio does little to improve the program.

This is *pure heresy*, but what if you didn’t use the B3Pro for SPDIF? You could try one of the countless cheap miniature SPDIF DACs from China and run analog tv sound into your tube preamp at a volume comparable to the I2S. If that wouldn’t be enjoyable, I understand completely. But what if 15€ (+\-) could indeed solve your volume problem and the sound quality didn’t suck?

Hi,

thank you that solution already came to my mind after posting yesterday :).

But for general advice: would it be better to run the preamp at low volume or to set the BIII to lower output (via resistors on mercury)?

thx

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi,

But for general advice: would it be better to run the preamp at low volume or to set the BIII to lower output (via resistors on mercury)?

if the preamp is well designed and the tubes are in good condition, it should sound great at "50%" output. If you hear something that causes concern, perhaps fresh tubes are in order. I had a triode preamp in the past that ran its 6SN7 tubes rather hot, and the tubes would last about three hundred hours before the performance was clearly degraded.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
If I want to use the B3pro in true sync mode with my BBB/Hermes/Cronus: how would I integrate a spdif source?

As with sync mode? Or should/could it been done on BBB-side?

I have done it both ways. The BBB side requires converting the SPDIF to asynchronous packets fed into the BBB via USB. In my last few DACs, I built them to manage SPDIF directly by switching out of synch mode (external 45 & 49 MHz master clocks) and into asynchronous operation using the B3's 100MHz onboard clock. NB - this is using GPIO and I2C control, not any B3 onboard control options. This clock switching is probably unnecessary when the SPDIF is just for TV, and I doubt I could hear the difference between running asynchronous mode using the onboard 100MHz clock vs. asynchronous using either of the slower Cronus clocks. That's because the highest signal rate of my TV SPDIF output is 192 kHz.

You could simply try attaching the Cronus MCK output to the B3 for synch mode, removing the B3 clock trident power supply, and see if the SPDIF sound is satisfactory. (I don't know how you would positively select the faster clock in Cronus to output to the B3 with an SPDIF source.) If you just try it, then you can balance that against the improvement you should hear in the I2S sources.

Last edited:
Hi,

Still have problems when playing dsd (64/128) files with B3pro. I get frequent unlocks and some loud hissing sound now and then with low to mid dpll setting. Only on highest dpll setting I get stable lock. If dsd files are converted to pcm by Roon there is stable lock at low dpll setting.
The b3 pro has Tridents SR v2.0. Centaur for b3 and dual placid hd for mercury. They hold right voltage under load. Only 1.3v Trident gets very hot (73-75 degree C). The dip-Switch Settings are left default beside dpll for testing.
All this happens in async Mode. Wondering if using true sync mode wold better things?

Any advice?

Thank you

Branko

Hmmm....

Mine works perfectly with DSD 256 input. Native DSD to Amanero-Hermes-Cronus, with Amanero running 2006 be11 firmware. My source is a Sonore Signature Rendu SEoptical, acting as NAA for my HQPlayer server. I am running Async, with the master clock sourced from the Cronus output. I use the most narrow DPLL setting with no issues at all. DSD R, L, bit clock, and master clock signals are all run on u.fl cables. Clock on the Cronus is an NDK SDA series 45.1584 only, with a jumper to the other clock position (I run only DSD 256 into this DAC, so need for the other beating frequency).
Perhaps you have source problems?

Hi,
thank you for helping.

As source I use a Roon Core --> Ethernet -->

I tested BBB/Hermes/Cronus (async) with/ and without Teleporter and short 2" uFL cable.

Replaced BBB by Rpi/Hermes same Cronus.

Finally tested An Ian Canada RPi/FifoPi.

Always the same symptoms: lock frequently dropping and occasionally loud hissing sound when playing DSD (not with high bitrate PCM) on low to mid dpll setting.

Now have running for testing purpose the Ian Canada Stack with dual Mono 9038K DAC Hat
on top of RPi/FifoPi. Everything works with no problems (sync and async) on lowest dpll settings?

So my problems start at B3pro input. In front of the B3pro everything is the same as with Ians DAC (even cable). Al without case or any enclosure. Maybe shielding or ground are problem? (but Ian stack is also naked).

Don't know where to start troubleshooting?

BR
Branko

Any old wire will do. Not shielded.

Today changed µFL connectors for short wire (4 cm). But Problem still occurs.

Worst is if I try to play DSD 256 File: Unlock occurs almost immediately and loud hissing sound also. Then the unlock starts to "oscillate" faster and faster and then it disappears and musik plays for some seconds and then again oscillates. Dpll setting is default (0000). Async mode and all dip at default?

I made a short video with the phone but don't know how to post it. It is with any source BBB/hermes/cronus; RPi/hermes/cronus; Ian DAC with fifoPi.

The voltages while playing stay constant.

The only thing is the whole thing is not in a closed case and there is no ground from the mains connected?

BR

Branko

I am near to give up this thing. But otherwise people here a saying thy are able to play did (up to 256) files without problem?

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member

The video shows some kind of high frequency issue with the data. No idea re: the source or nature, but that is why I suggest removing the B3 clock from the mix. Plus, if it solves the problem to use only the Cronus master clock, there is a good chance you will like the sound of synchronous B3 operation with PCM sources. I am also curious whether disabling the OSF has any effect, or whether changing or re-programming the onboard memory chip has any effect (even though one would expect no effect). Any chance of displaying the DSD output from Cronus on a fast oscilloscope?

I have also witnessed inexplicable behavior by the ESS Pro DACs (but not your issues) when operated in a 'bench' environment, and those very components would not reproduce the apparent errors when properly mounted and shielded in a chassis. resolved: optimal gain issues
The control registers in the Pro DACs are not as stable or robust as the registers in the older 9018s.

Good luck,

F.

Last edited: