• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Introducing DIY fiber optical i2s send/receive boards

The "i2s" board obviously has an i2s input and a i2s output or you would not call it "i2s" I suppose. So I ask about the external interfaces, are they i2s aware in the sense that if you try to feed the board something else it will not pass it to the other side? If not it is a generic pulse-train conveyor with for separate lines on which you could send an i2s interface on.

But instead, say that you would like to send a a 10base-t signal over on of the lines - would that work?

If it would, I think you might want to reconsider the name of the board as it could do much more than i2s.

//
It's not a product name...it's just the title of the thread. The title is mean to bring people in. You can feed the boards i2s, clocks, DSD. You might be able to send other signals and I will confirm that for you. You will definitely not be able to send network traffic or USB traffic via the link.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Looking at the current catalogue, you seem to have painted yourself into a corner namewise :-D

Why so secretive? This should be a functional product with no special snake sauce - right?

Make it work and work good, earn some fair money on each produced unit and be glad over that. Be transparent and you will have more satisfied, returning customers!?

//

Last edited:
I suspect the family of boards will start with i2s (a specific protocol) and go on to include SPDIF etc (another specific protocol) and end up fleshing out to be a complete endpoint (SFP-port fiber to i2s without the need of a ‘send’ board at source end).

I understand you are initially selling a transceiver and cable but is this in an open-cage SFP port? i.e, pluggable, so I could use my own transceivers and cable? One use case here would be moving the boards from one location to another. Another would be reconfiguring an existing SFP-based installation.

Finally, any idea (won’t hold you to it :) ) of ballpark timeline? Specifically for i2s availability and the endpoint availability?

I imagine there would be a bigger market for the endpoint solution - or do you see it differently?

Looking at the current catalogue, you seem to have painted yourself into a corner namewise :-D

Why so secretive? This should be a functional product with no special snake sauce - right?

Make it work and work good, earn some fair money on each produced unit and be glad over that. Be transparent and you will have more satisfied, returning customers!?

//
Naa. It seems pretty functional to me...but I can include some snake sauce if you like. Are you applying for a CEO position...if so you are hired:) Customers are usually very satisfied and returning. Our regular customers are not DIYers per say though.

Again, it would be of interest know how the 30fs jitter number was measured. Doesn't mean much without knowing more. Please see page 4, figs. 6, 7 and related text in the following: https://www.crystek.com/documents/appnotes/ImpactUltralow.pdf for what would interest us for audio use.

For example, for a clock repeater device: https://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/NB3L553-D.PDF Jitter is specified as "RMS Phase Jitter (12 kHz – 20 MHz): 29 fs" (Typical)
I want to be sure we are on the same page. If you want a buffer or low noise XO you need to include then in your circuits because the send/receiver board does not have any. The jitter spec on the first post is just an additive jitter number and or a part spec as discussed...I would not get hung up on this.

I suspect the family of boards will start with i2s (a specific protocol) and go on to include SPDIF etc (another specific protocol) and end up fleshing out to be a complete endpoint (SFP-port fiber to i2s without the need of a ‘send’ board at source end).

I understand you are initially selling a transceiver and cable but is this in an open-cage SFP port? i.e, pluggable, so I could use my own transceivers and cable? One use case here would be moving the boards from one location to another. Another would be reconfiguring an existing SFP-based installation.

Finally, any idea (won’t hold you to it :) ) of ballpark timeline? Specifically for i2s availability and the endpoint availability?

I imagine there would be a bigger market for the endpoint solution - or do you see it differently?
That is the plan more or less. I don't want to provide to much support so I prefer to send you kits that will work and that means we are gong to include the parts and hope you can wire the signals. You can forget about your existing SFP installations because they will not be compatible. This is a specific, point to point transmission scheme and you need matching send and receive boards. The timeline is in the air because of all the backlog from COVID 19 reported from supplies. All I can say is that it's in progress...

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I want to be sure we are on the same page. If you want a buffer or low noise XO you need to include then in your circuits because the send/receiver board does not have any. The jitter spec on the first post is just an additive jitter number and or a part spec as discussed...I would not get hung up on this.

If you want to pass i2s you would like the added phase noise to be low. The hardest part is the close-in pn.

PN is the property of a clock.

"The jitter spec on the first post is just an additive jitter number and or a part spec as discussed...I would not get hung up on this.")

This statement does not make me feel confident in this product. Maybe it's an CTO you need? ;-D

//

If you want to pass i2s you would like the added phase noise to be low. The hardest part is the close-in pn.

PN is the property of a clock.

"The jitter spec on the first post is just an additive jitter number and or a part spec as discussed...I would not get hung up on this.")

This statement does not make me feel confident in this product. Maybe it's an CTO you need? ;-D

//
I'm aware of all that. I explained what the number means and since it's just a part spec I would not dwell on it. I'm not going to argue your presumption about the product based on the spec I have provided thus far. No...I offered you the CEO position because the CTO position is clearly already taken;)