Inrush protection failures.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Peter,

Yes that relay design was from EleKtor, it is quite easy to implement and has proven very reliable.

The circuit is so simple I hand drew the pcb using an Etch resistant pen, I then mounted the PCB (3x3 inches)next the the transformer in an aluminium channel which forms part of my chassis to make it safe and out of harms way (being 240vac).

I our mains is 240 volt and I still few fuses without the thermistor, I imaging 120vac with 2 x current surge would be a major issue.

I will post a few pics soon.

regards

macka

Peter,

I would suggest a 24 volt mini relay rated at say 5 amp, they are reasonably cheap, my NEC relay was only $3.60.

You parrellel the contacts if current was an issue, but remember the thermistor as already dealt with the surge and there would be little switch current as you are shunting a resistance of less than 1 ohm.

Alternatively, you could string 2 12 volt zeners like the BOSOZ supply and reference the 12 volt relay from the 2nd zener, that should increase the delay?

regards

macka

Macka

Have you still got the schematics and the PCB layout for that soft-start cicuit from Elektor? I had the whole article, but lost half of the pages and can not find them anywhere. If you have them can you please post them to me, I'll supply you with my e-mail address.

Kind Regards

Stan

Thanks for the reply Peter, but I tried to open that link several times in the last 3 - 4 days and all I received was a response from the server:
ERROR
The requested URL could not be retrieved

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://mitglied.lycos.de/Promitheus/delay_circuit_for_toroids.htm

The following error was encountered:

Connection Failed
The system returned:

(110) Connection timed out
The remote host or network may be down. Please try the request again.

That's why I tried to find some alternative sources.

Regards

Stan

I can open it.

Attachments

• delay.jpg
    delay.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 360
Delay

I do not mean to complicate things even further byt, there is another circuit from elektor magazine that using the same topology, accomplish the task of using a very small turn on switch!
I use this in my aleph's 680KVA (+200,000uf)toroid for some years now with absolutely no failures, as well as in my 3KVA transformer in a tubed linear rf amplifier.
The subject is covered on:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=3321&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

Sincerely,

Panos:goodbad:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.