Input wire

Joined 2019
Paid Member
@Intojazz - Similar to Claas, and upon a recommendation from ZM, I swapped to the Kynar wire for all my input and output (on pre-amps) wiring.

Honestly, I can't tell you if it's better than the re-purposed CAT5 wire I had been using. It is a bit more delicate. Just satisfies my "am I really doing it properly" urges. YMMV

I used the 30AWG similar to Claas. I used an iron to strip. Cleaned properly before soldering to remove all the insulation after stripping.

Link to Mouser also.

https://www.mouser.com/Wire-Cable/Hook-up-Wire/_/N-5ggs?Keyword=kynar&FS=True

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Last edited:
Joined 2019
Paid Member
That's probably the best route, IMO. I was just cheap and in a hurry, I suppose. :)

Replaceable blades? I am not sure. I use one similar to this for just about everything else, and it works quite well for me. It's cut all the insulation cleanly and has never cut a strand even on finely stranded multi-strand wire. Mine just doesn't go down to 30AWG.

Fine-gauge Wire Stripper - StewMac

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
That's probably the best route, IMO. I was just cheap and in a hurry, I suppose. :)

Replaceable blades? I am not sure. I use one similar to this for just about everything else, and it works quite well for me. It's cut all the insulation cleanly and has never cut a strand even on finely stranded multi-strand wire. Mine just doesn't go down to 30AWG.

Fine-gauge Wire Stripper - StewMac

that's the way to do

I had a problem - smallest hole was too big for signal wire I'm using, so I just filed meeting ends (tip of stripper) to adjust - getting smaller hole when fully closed
after that bough few more, to use these for general work, while keeping adjusted ones just for that specific signal wire

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Bob - it actually was a recommendation from someone on here in another thread, and I think it pointed to Amazon.com. The one I linked to was the German Amazon counterpart that most resembled the recommended tool. There are a number of similar ones, and apparently they do not all work equally well ... however, I can't find the original one on Amazon.com any more.

There are a number of stripping tools on the US auction site that look equivalent, including the little support for the index finger in the pistol grip, and the cutter on top instead of under the stripping tool.

Here would be the Jokari one again ...

JOKARI 20050 ergonomische Super 4 Plus Automatik Kabel Abisolierer fur Kabel von | eBay

Regards, Claas