Innerchoic cabinets - should I?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Interesting topic right here as I am currently building a large 3-way main system replicating ATC SCM100 and lately I was investigating how to line the cabinet inside.
I first thought of 8cm egg-crate but then came to the conclusion I better line the cabinet with bitumen and fill its internal with some kind of wool or polyester.
I think egg-crate might be effective for high frequencies and flutter-echos but that's it

My curvy cabinets are sealed, 2-way, and approximately 20L. They are a Zaph ZRT design. I have internal bracing ONLY behind the midrange/woofer. I don't like polyfill, but if it's the tool for the job, so be it.
Does this mean you have a sealed 2 way with no stuffing? If so the lowest resonances of the air cavity are likely severe, rear radiation from the midwoofer at midrange frequencies will not be absorbed with a proportion passing out through the midwoofer cone, the Q of the box resonance will not be lowered,... An experiment to hear the difference in sound between with and without stuffing should be simple to perform and can be expected to be significant.

Also, I have 2 subwoofer enclosures, just built. They are 1.5" thick baltic birch construction, with internal bracing that spans each panel like a cross, perfectly centered, and is 1.5" wide by 3/4" deep. This box is stiff as concrete. It was originally my idea to cut a square of acoustic foam, and put it in each quadrant of the panels, between the bracing. But I wonder what my strategy should be in a case like that. (sealed sub)
In a subwoofer cabinet there is no high frequency sound to absorb and lowering the Q is often not required and so stuffing may serve no beneficial purpose.

If the cabinet is stiff with the lowest resonances well above the passband of the driver then breaking symmetry won't matter because the modes won't be driven. In fact, symmetry can be beneficial if the driver is placed so that symmetric modes are not driven.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.