Information request for modifying Bose 401s

Unfortunately, they aren't on the reverse of the terminal block.
20240322_134158.jpg

Yes, you have no other option.

Are the connections to the woofer terminals wire wrapped?

If so, and you require to disconnect the woofers for ease of access, please note my remarks in post #15.

Oh, and take careful note of which colour of wire goes where!

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, you have no other option.

Are the connections to the woofer terminals wire wrapped?

If so, and you require to disconnect the woofers for ease of access, please note my remarks in post #15.

Oh, and take careful note of which colour of wire goes where!
Yes, I believe the woofer connections are wire-wrapped. I will take your advice from #15 as well as the wire colors and their path! Since I am going this in-depth, would it make sense to replace all of the wire with one of a heavier gauge?

would it make sense to replace all of the wire with one of a heavier gauge?

Heavier gauge is really only a requirement for a long run of wire such as the cable from amplifier to speakers.

The resistance offered by the short lengths of the current internal wiring is negligible.

Replacing the wiring risks making mistakes, especially if you are a novice.

If you do choose to go ahead, 18 gauge is thick enough for internal wiring.

A heavier gauge can make soldering difficult and its weight may put undue stress on the driver terminals.

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
BTW, my 401's are from 1987. I would guess that Bose intends/intended for their speakers to have a long lifespan, so I wish they had included in their design a way to easily access and change the caps which do fail!
For a technician, this is a no-brainer, but I understand it's not that straightforward for a DIY-er.
Good luck, I'm sure you'll succeed.

Hugo

For a technician, this is a no-brainer, but I understand it's not that straightforward for a DIY-er.
Good luck, I'm sure you'll succeed.

Hugo
I have re-wired many electrical components and also rebuilt and refurbished vintage radios (hobby only). I build my computers, too, so I have no problem working with electronics. I just like acquiring as much knowledge and tips as possible from those who have more experience than me with particular items!
Thanks!