Infineon MA12070 Class D

Are you talking about the same MA12070 as mine ,here ?

Module amplificateur 1.0 / 2.0 / 2.1 / 4.0 Class D MA12070 160W 4 Ohm - Audiophonics

IF YES : I disagree with you, because I have absolutely 0 pop noise when switching ON / OFF neither any input noises when connected in full balance mode (XLR). Tested it via my Double AK4497 Dac and my LG V30 with internal Quad Dac = 0 issues, no noises, no pop... This amp is absolutely dead silence.
I guess our setup is just different, maybe we are using different SMPS PSU, etc etc

As reminder : I am using it in dual Mono Mode with 2 SMPS PSU (one per module) :
IN0A and IN0B - for the left channel of the mono amp
IN0A and IN0B - for the right channel of the mono amp

Can you share pictures of your finished amp ?
Yes, it's exactly the same amp.
As I said at the beginning, I am using the default 2ch specification at the time of purchase with unbalanced input.
I think that the operation is probably different from MONO mode + balanced input. I was guessing that way.
I also want to test with balanced inputs, but now I don't have an XLR connector for the connection. I would like to try it if I can buy a connector.
On the contrary, what happens if you use unbalanced input in your MON mode? I am also interested in this.
The information that pop noise does not occur in your MONO mode + balanced input is very helpful.

This product has no schematics or detailed instructions. When I examined the board, I decided that it was a copy product of the Infineon MA12070 EVM board, and I refer to this manual.

Excuse me, please tell me.
The operation mode setting switch is so small that it doesn't look good to my presbyopia.
Is it OK to remove the thin sticker on the surface and slide it with a very thin stick to operate it? It seems to break easily and is scary.

Last edited:
I mean let's stay realistic. I guess the design background of the amplifier was never with the goal to fit best for cheap chinese mini-AMP boards.

For any serious application you have usually at least a small uC for overall system-control. It's so standard today that it is fast uncommon to not have a uC.

So I don't see that as a problem that you definitely need some external control

Agree with you. Actually I don't mint about uC, because it control other nodes of the project: DSP, screen, power, etc. It's not a big deal to program uC for your needs.

If you add a MOSFET between the PSU input and the amp wired as a cap multiplier with a slow ramp up (10sec), you can avoid the turn on thump. The circuit is quite simple (handful of parts under $3) but has a 3v drop. So a 24v supply gives 21v. Using a variable step up DC-DC converter or a variable SMPS can compensate for this by increasing voltage by 3v.

Here is the cap multiplier circuit:

Juma's Easy-Peasy Capacitance Multiplier

The SMPS output will go to this circuit first, and then output of this circuit to go to the amp?

Excuse me, please tell me.
The operation mode setting switch is so small that it doesn't look good to my presbyopia.
Is it OK to remove the thin sticker on the surface and slide it with a very thin stick to operate it? It seems to break easily and is scary.

Toku, yes i removed the sticker and used a tiny flat tip screwdriver to toggle the switches. Is easy, no problem at all.

Today my SMPS reached me and i got the opportunity to try one of the module in the same mode of operation as you - 2 x 80w BTL. Upon powering up, I got a very rude POP, almost a crack sound. Thanks to your warning, this happened to my pair of very cheap computer speakers which i used for testing my DIY projects.

Next, i tried your recommendation to connect a small capacitor (i used 68uf) between mute and GND. Works nicely. However, on some occasions switching Off SMPS and then On again a couple seconds in between will result in a POP. The strange thing is it does not happen every time. I guess it depends on the charging state of the capacitor when power is turned on. However, the initial POP upon power On from the cold state has been effectively removed.

I would like to add that powering down has no POP or thump sound. And i am amazed that this amp runs so cool. hardly can feel the heat.

Last edited:
Toku, yes i removed the sticker and used a tiny flat tip screwdriver to toggle the switches. Is easy, no problem at all.

Today my SMPS reached me and i got the opportunity to try one of the module in the same mode of operation as you - 2 x 80w BTL. Upon powering up, I got a very rude POP, almost a crack sound. Thanks to your warning, this happened to my pair of very cheap computer speakers which i used for testing my DIY projects.

Next, i tried your recommendation to connect a small capacitor (i used 68uf) between mute and GND. Works nicely. However, on some occasions switching Off SMPS and then On again a couple seconds in between will result in a POP. The strange thing is it does not happen every time. I guess it depends on the charging state of the capacitor when power is turned on. However, the initial POP upon power On from the cold state has been effectively removed.

I would like to add that powering down has no POP or thump sound. And i am amazed that this amp runs so cool. hardly can feel the heat.
I am very grateful for your advice.
I haven't received the XLR connector I ordered from Amzon.jp yet, but I'll try balanced mode as well.

POP noise prevention capacitors may work better with 100μF than with 68μF. I am currently installing 100μF.
We have tested it by turning the power on and off frequently at various time intervals, and have confirmed that there is no pop noise at 100μF.

I'm currently testing with two units, but I ordered two more. It's a very small unit, but it's fun to play with.

Since the XLR connector arrived, I immediately switched from unbalanced input to balanced input and tested it.
The pop noise when the power is turned on / off is lower than that at the time of unbalanced input, but it appears. As with the unbalanced input, you can completely prevent it by connecting a 100μF capacitor to the mute terminal.

I am currently operating with an XLR balanced connection, but for some reason I feel that the sound quality is better than an unbalanced connection.
On the contrary, you changed from balanced connection to unbalanced connection, but did you feel any change in sound quality?

Toku, I think the amps do not come with connectors and cables to the inputs? Any idea what are the specifications for the connectors? My amp modules is shipped and on the way to me.
Yes, the amplifier does not come with a connector cable. Two 5Ps of JST XH 2.54 are required.
I bought several types at once from the following shops on Aliexpress.

10 ピース/ロット JST XH 2.54 2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 /10 ピンピッチ 2.54 ミリメートルコネケーブル 30 センチメートル長さ 26AWG|コネクタ| - AliExpress

This is my v1.4 board from aliexpress.

Attachments

• 20201216_084902.jpg
    20201216_084902.jpg
    717 KB · Views: 468