Importance of the quality of the DC-blocking feedback capacitor?

Is it useful to argue over what the "signal path" is? All the parts in the circuit and those connected to it will have some effect at the output. You could say the road surface is not part of your car but it affects your driving experience nonetheless. It is prudent as a general rule to consider all capacitors in the circuit as having an influence on the sound quality.

Practical capacitors are not what you are taught in basic electronics class. They have complicated characteristics. These matter to the sound quality of an amplifier. The same goes for practical transformers. Resistors are usually not a big deal but sometimes you have to watch things like thick film types that are voltage dependent.

Last edited:
Is it useful to argue over what the "signal path" is? All the parts in the circuit and those connected to it will have some effect at the output. You could say the road surface is not part of your car but it affects your driving experience nonetheless. It is prudent as a general rule to consider all capacitors in the circuit as having an influence on the sound quality.

Practical capacitors are not what you are taught in basic electronics class. They have complicated characteristics. These matter to the sound quality of an amplifier. The same goes for practical transformers. Resistors are usually not a big deal but sometimes you have to watch things like thick film types that are voltage dependent.

I agree with this and would add that the inverting input is a summing junction which means effectively there are two separate signal arms which include the decoupling arm to earth resistor and capacitor and both have to be considered for quality and for correct earthing to avoid mains frequency signals entering by this route.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Again, all this talk about what is and isn't signal path leads to confusion rather than clarification. A grungy PSU with poor psrr will definitely leak into the output. The opposite, not so much. And everything in between...

Agreed. The 'signal path' is an unfortunate meme that has no practical value other than to confuse the hell out of people. :cool:

Every part in an amp contributes to how well the amplifier does its job. If it doesn't, you could remove it with no ill effect. :cool:

Of course some parts have more impact than others. Obviously an output power transistor in a power amp has more impact than the exact brand of electrolytic in the power supply. And the contribution of some part parameters, like the brand of the power supply cap, may be so small that the effect cannot be realistically measured/heard. But that doesn't mean it isn't there.

Jan

traderbam said:
Is it useful to argue over what the "signal path" is?
Yes and no. For those who use this concept a lot it is useful to have their confusion corrected. For the rest of us it is best avoided.

It is prudent as a general rule to consider all capacitors in the circuit as having an influence on the sound quality.
Might be better to say 'potentially having an influence', otherwise some may think you are endorsing boutique caps.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It is not about the impact of any component, or the brand. For example, some believe that the ground connections are not part of the signal path.

Agreed. The PCB layout and routing, wiring, enclosure, all have an impact. But often the impact is so low that it doesn't influence the sound reproduction perceptibly.

But many are not familiar with how our perception apparatus works. They do not understand that if you spend $ 100 for a boutique cap, you can be sure you will perceive an improvement in your sound.
That is often when communications break down.

Jan

Agreed. The PCB layout and routing, wiring, enclosure, all have an impact. But often the impact is so low that it doesn't influence the sound reproduction perceptibly.

But many are not familiar with how our perception apparatus works. They do not understand that if you spend $ 100 for a boutique cap, you can be sure you will perceive an improvement in your sound.
That is often when communications break down.

Jan

As usual, the voice of reason :).

I think if more diyers tried their hand at designing things rather than simple tweaks it would really help get a feel and be more rewarding as well.

At the end of the day, hearing is believing. This is a sound reproduction endeavor after all. You have to be careful not to be fooled by things that only glitter and not all $100 caps are necessarily a rip-off. Personally, I have never spent that much on one and don't aspire to. There are valid engineering differences between caps of different construction and some so-called boutique ones do optimize some important aspects. But you either have to know what to measure and be able to measure them or you have to use your ears. And different aspects affect the sound differently depending on the circuit they are in so I don't think there are many general rules, especially relating cost to sound quality.

Hello,
A paper rather interesting, from Electronics World november 2003, by M. Bateman.
I found it on the net in 2012.
Today, I didn't find it again.
I hope there is no copyright on it.
It is not available from "Electronics World" site.

You will learn how to add distorsion to the feedback loop, and much more !!

As, it is too large for this discussion, it is splitted in 2 parts.
First part:

Attachments

• Capacitor & Amplifier Distortions-1.pdf
    462.1 KB · Views: 141