Impedance sweep - HOT or not?

Joined 2005
Paid Member
:love: ;)
This a fork inspired by a post by @hifijim following his inspired thread on measurements that matter, except we all got into the weeds for the first 10 pages...all about impedance traces...

So to clear the air, I thought we could play the Impedance plot game:

Rules:
Maximum 2 sweeps per graph.
Phase is included, but if graphs get too busy, I can remove them.
1 Logarithmic Y scale MUST be included (allows one to view high and low values simultaneously)
A zoomed in trace may be requested (optional)
No red/green traces please (for our red/green colour impaired friends)

Winners:
Correctly guesses the reason for the difference between the two traces. Close enough is good enough...

GOLDENEYE award- correctly understands the difference between the two traces.

SCIENTIFIC COMMUNICATOR AWARD - explains why, in lay terms, for the differences, so that we can all follow along.
eg. "This trace is a of a subwoofer, because of the peak in the graph is at a low frequency ie. 23Hz. Is it a very high peak, because... . The double peaks and the saddle in between them at 38 Hz suggests that this is.... The discontinuity at ~170Hz suggests either... however we need more information on the..."

I'll be adding to this this list as I collect more. Please feel free to add your own for the diyAudio brains trust to help solve your impedance plot problems... Remember, the only way to learn is to make mistakes. So feel free to have a go!

First up:

1710944212629.png

GOLDENEYE! for @PKAudio's post. How did he do it? Any Scientific Communicators among us?
previous Leading scorer: @stv, partially correct on both traces. very close- please try again!

ITEM 2:
1710947651783.png

GOLDENEYE award to @mbrennwa . Yes, correct on all counts. But why only possibly in a sealed box? Was there any doubt? And why/why not? What happens when one omits damping?

ITEM 3: courtesy @Hörnli
1711027123797.png

ITEM 4: same product, different samples.
1711027101929.png

1711082736618.gif

2nd graph courtesy of John Krutke

ITEM 5: Coming up....

PS. Once you win a prize, please go to the end of the line and wait for other people have a go. Better yet, post your own confusing/tricky plots for us to play/learn from....

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2005
Paid Member
At first sight, the attachment looks like a solid black rectangle with nothing else (on my phone, see screenshot). Zooming into the black mass of nothingness shows some very faint dark red lines. Also some minuscule axis labels, again hardly readable. Hard to see the data and impossible to get an overview in deep zoom.

Can you provide a proper, easy to read plot?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240320_144641_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20240320_144641_Firefox.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 32
Reactions: 1 user

stv

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Very nice idea!
I'll give it a try.
It's a 6 ohm-midrange driver, probably free air (no enclosure resonance wiggles visible). Low inductance.
There seems to be a higher temperature (or added resistance) for the purple trace. Identical wiggles above 1 kHz indicate identical cone (?) or suspension resonances.
Some strange wiggles between 200-300 Hz for the blue trace might be result of not perfectly attached added mass ...

• Thank You
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Some strange wiggles between 200-300 Hz for the blue trace might be result of not perfectly attached added mass
That's what I wanted to say, but now I am too late.

ITEM-2: purple is a woofer in free air (or a very large enclosure, but then I'd expect to see some wiggles from standing waves in a large box). Blue/red is the same driver, but with a lot of damping, possibly in a sealed box.

Last edited:
ITEM 108 #8
That's a weird one
As I think about how many clues to give, the speaker plays music that I like. Okay, two of them. There's nothing strange about that. Maybe a little low in [published;)] nonlinear harmonic distortion.

Impedance is almost flat, and so it makes sense that phase is almost flat, too.
What is unusual is that impedance is rather high (25...30 Ohm) and almost perfectly flat (within +/- 1.5 Ohm up to 2 kHz). Why is that?

SCIENTIFIC COMMUNICATOR AWARD
I will never receive such a prestigious award :cry:

Best regards
Bernd

stv

Joined 2005
Paid Member
my guess for ITEM4:
a tweeter, supposedly a dome tweeter with a small resonance peak caused by lack of dampening for back-chamber and/or behind-voice-coil-gap air volume resonance.
I once created something similar that by removing ferrofluid and increasing a tweeter back chamber by drilling the pole piece.

speaking of tweeters - here is a very strange impedance plot I measured some time ago:

impedance_goldeneye.png

I was quite puzzled but finally realized what was going on.

An aluminum dome tweeter with a crushed dome? The material has to be stiff to get the relatively high Q resonance, so no soft doped cloth dome? And the out of phase crushed part has to be heavy enough to copy into the impedance, so not a small dent, more a total wreck?

EDIT: A loose glue joint between dome and coil?
EDIT2: A spilled blob of glue on inside of the dome?

EDIT3: return for refund :-(

OK, your graph has a very high resolution with its logarithmic scale.
The manufacturers show "no resolution" linear scales.
Maybe start a conversation with the manufacturer?
Did you buy only one?

Last edited:

stv

Joined 2005
Paid Member
different samples.
Yes, indeed! Impedance peak at john krutke's version has only 9 ohm peak. And there still seems to be a slight impedance elevation around 2,5 kHz?

What would you do?

If it's cheap and possible I would open it carefully and check the dampening material (if there is any), eventually test melamine foam shaped to not touch the dome - for science.
But if it's an expensive part definitely best to send it back for replacement.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Dismantling mean breaking glue lines, so it was probably never designed to be repaired. And thus low cost.
But @stv you get GOLDENEYE award. Indeed poor damping or mis-damping is a common reason for dual impedance peaks. I've experienced this in the past with a different tweeter, where I replaced the voice coil/dome assembly but didn't reassemble it correctly.

• Thank You