I'm Back and it's time for a new Near / Mid field Monitor. Thoughts and Stuff.

You might want to look at coaxial drivers if you are less than 4 feet from the speakers. A horizontal layout is not optimal for close listening. Also, if placed on a desk it will have terrible reflections off the surface, go vertical if at all possible. Sometimes old Tannoy drivers come up for auction on the bay. The 8 inch drivers are nice and have been used in many a studio. Seas makes a good coax too. Just a thought….
Nothing is optimal on a console desk from tje get go. Critical listening is better done with a seperate set of more…suitable…monitors. So Im under no illusions here.
That being said, it’s no excuse for dropping the quality and striving for the best inna compromised situation. Vertical will bring other issue into play, such as the area behind the console is not “dead space” it’s a very good tracking and performance position, I must say, I am not keen on cutting down the vision or looking at the back of some taller speakers.
Re: Coaxial, hadn’t even entered my mynde. That is very interesting, I’ll do some research.
Thanks!
T. Xx

I would do a coax speaker using the 5.5 sica driver and an compatible woofer, you can have it sit sideways on the console and if they ever come off that placement they can be turned upright and still work. With good integration I think you'd be hard pressed to make something better than that arrangement for the desired task.

Reactions: 1 users
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
eve-audio-sc4070-front_2000x.jpeg

dave

Reactions: 1 user