I'm Back and it's time for a new Near / Mid field Monitor. Thoughts and Stuff.

Well - It's been many years since I built my ONKEN Full Range with all your help, of course.
So it's time for another build, you know, now I have had a rest. :love:.
I want to design and build a nice multi way Studio Monitor for my Home Recording Studio. Possibly ending up with a 7:1. But wait....just a Stereo Pair to begin.
Anyway, I was inspired by this little "Mini Rig" (a mini version of the classic main monitors found in commercial studios) I found on Pinterest (Steven Walker; builder):
PartsExpress.jpg
I have the list of speakers used - there are PartsExpress / Dayton Audio Paper Cone Reference speakers - 6". I could go a little larger (enclosure) - or stick with something this size. Could go Dayton, could go...Fostex! I certainly DO want this horizontal axis. And I definitely DO NOT want rear Porting. But I DO want textile / silk dome type Tweeterers. Just like my Event 2030 BAS - current monitors.
Have looked at the full size versions of these at Wilmslow-Audio: And there is an additional "Mid/Tweeter"...something to think about.
So: Hello Again and:
1. Thoughts?
2. So what Speaker Building Software are we all using these days? I have Winows, Osx / linux if needed. Hmm... any good Open Source/Donation Apps?

Thank You, Ahhh, It's good to be back amongst, well, people who at least understand.
MWOAH! :love:

PS: STILL listening to those Onken's, Every Day, amped up to the big TV my wife insists on...And so are my Children ! Yes! I have 2 nowadays. Baby Shark sounds GREAT through them:D. (the Onken's, not the childr.....you get the idea!)

Xx. T

Ah. Planet 10. You’re here. Long, LOOOONG time no see. I hope you are well mate - still frugal-phileTMing I see.
- I like the aesthetic’s there very much. Ok just started reading about the Lobe and time alignment.
T. Xx

Last edited:
1. Thoughts?

The speaker you have linked to has some avoidable issues like diffraction from raised edges and poor radiation pattern and is perhaps best used as inspiration rather than a guide. If you want a pair of horizontal woofers rather than vertical it strengthens the case for a 3 way with tweeter and mid/s vertically mounted in order to create a reasonable radiation pattern. Counter sink the drivers to avoid the diffraction from the raised edges. Possibly consider a waveguide on the tweeter.

2. So what Speaker Building Software are we all using these days? I have Winows, Osx / linux if needed. Hmm... any good Open Source/Donation Apps?

VituixCAD seems to be the most widely used these days though I have never used it myself (I design on linux rather than Windows). Free Windows version for hobbyists but with closed source.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
So the message Is to have double voices as long as the rule Is obeyed.
Mmmh...
And what about the two mids? Same..
But that don't apply to tweeters...
Maybe because the average distance.between the ears, and the phase related caption difference...
And the distance from source, but the neck moves and the head( oval) follows
But that's nothing, because it's all inside the head, where sound happens...
Inside the head there are rules..

Bad design because there are too many voices. Three way with one voice (=speaker) in vertical orientation Is optimal
These are for a studio environment - and are not intended as the sole reference for mixing. I have some Vertical 2 way 8" and Silk Domes as well as some full range. The speakers will be on top of a console desk - so hardly optimal in itself - isolated to a degree, but still. The problem with upright/Vertical near fields is that the listening point is only a meter or two - and breathing in will probably change ones perception.
The Speakers are general purpose, The recording console is able to "solo" each and any of the multiple audio channels.
That said - the room will be acoustically treated and the monitors themselves will have a corrective dsp/eq running in the background.

Thank you for your comments though - I d not mean to be unappreciative, because I do appreciate.
PS: There will be a 3 way X-Over of some order going down One of the "mids" will be a Low/LowMid.
T.Xx

The speaker you have linked to has some avoidable issues like diffraction from raised edges and poor radiation pattern and is perhaps best used as inspiration rather than a guide. If you want a pair of horizontal woofers rather than vertical it strengthens the case for a 3 way with tweeter and mid/s vertically mounted in order to create a reasonable radiation pattern. Counter sink the drivers to avoid the diffraction from the raised edges. Possibly consider a waveguide on the tweeter.
VituixCAD seems to be the most widely used these days though I have never used it myself (I design on linux rather than Windows). Free Windows version for hobbyists but with closed source.
Yes - Got that. It's defo' inspirational at the moment.
Just looking at Vituix' What do you use on Linux Out of interest?
Ta.
T. Xx

Just looking at Vituix' What do you use on Linux Out of interest?

For lumped modelling and filtering my own scripts mainly written in python because it is the scripting language adopted by the majority of the open engineering community. Don't know why because it is not well suited to the task but it seems to have most of the relevant modules to get things done.

For more detailed 2d/3d design I am using open source software and a growing amount of my own software to address the gaps in what open source can currently handle. Open source software for solid modelling (e.g. salome, freecad and a lot of other open-cascade based software) and post processing (paraview, visit, salome, matplotlib,...) is fine and not far off the standards of commercial software, for grid generation just about OK (salome, gmsh, and many research codes), for FE vibration analysis OK for mass and stiffness (aster, elmer, and many research codes) but not for damping which is unfortunately a significant factor in a good speaker design, acoustics is limited and basic (acousto, bempp, aster, and one or two others), CFD OK (openfoam and many research codes).

Reactions: 1 user
I'd like to suggest the opposite orientation of the speakers. I think it would work best to reduce the reflections from the console. So I would like to build a speaker maybe using Neo 8 or Neo 10 style isoplanar mids (radian have bigger ones too, but pricey!) and maybe double verically stacked Radian LT2 tweeters. Behind this mid / tweeter line would be any woofer and box you fancy.

If its really near field only you could actually EQ Neo 8 to nearly 20khz and do away with a tweeter. I've done it, it works surprisingly well near field.

P.s. I know this is not what you said you want. However, unless you must have a low visual line the fact is vertically long mid / tweeter will work better for your console mounting situation.

Last edited:
You might want to look at coaxial drivers if you are less than 4 feet from the speakers. A horizontal layout is not optimal for close listening. Also, if placed on a desk it will have terrible reflections off the surface, go vertical if at all possible. Sometimes old Tannoy drivers come up for auction on the bay. The 8 inch drivers are nice and have been used in many a studio. Seas makes a good coax too. Just a thought….

Reactions: 2 users
The Sica 5" coax is very very good. It has the least issues of typical small coax drivers, specifically the tweeter setup. That bad notch you usually see around 10k is much less pronounced on this driver. Efficiency and powerhandling are also better than average. Can't find a better small coax for the money.

Reactions: 1 user