• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Illegitimate Son of Pensil - Alpair 10.2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A pencil with & without damping. It's a specific MLTL alignment.

Attachments

• With & Without damping.GIF
    With & Without damping.GIF
    11.2 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
Use whatever you like within reason; the object was to make a cabinet that is easily adjusted to a given requirement by varying the level of damping (& why removable backs are highly recommended for the pencil cabinets) -this will also vary depending on what material is used. Default is simple dacron (hollow fibre polyester), but you can use others.

Damping is uniform throughout.

Last edited:
I can't concur with Scott enough on the removable back panel on the Pensils, whether for the Alpair7s that I've built or the much larger A12s, Unless your name is Reed Richards, you'll have a nightmare of a time accessing the interiors to adjust fill levels, even without the interlocked bracing.

I ended up pulling approx 25-30% of the amount that Dave had calculated and measured out for these.

While there are no doubt some test measurement procedures that could "prove" the difference, I've used both over the years and have not been able to detect any between Acousti-stuff and the much cheaper fabric shop Dacron pillow stuffing.

For us culturally deprived souls, 'splain "Reed Richards"!:confused:
-a modern day version of Plastic Man, perhaps?
Don

Reed Nathaniel Richards - Mister Fantastic (4) - the rubber man :rolleyes:

every once in a while the fan-boy geek resurfaces in the form of an obscure (to some) pop cultural reference

I could have alternatively cited nano-bots as tool for accessing awkward interiors of some of these cabinets. I've been close to getting my hand stuck in a small driver cut-out a couple too many times. (just imagine how twisted describing that could get :eek:)

edit: Note that another member of the P10 collective understood exactly - it's sometimes too eerie even for me

Last edited:
Removable back is there, although I did not use cleats but instead screwed into the side. Using cleats would have caused trouble when i went back to add the bracing. I will contersink them, fill, and sand them down so i dont have any trouble with the veneer. Adding braces tonight and will get the polyfill and start stuffing. As far as Mr Richards goes, I have the grey hair, but tend to be stiff and lacking in mental functions. Four kids will age a man faster than normal. Side note; does anybody build prison doors that I can protect my speakers with and occasionally use for containment purposes.

I would say that my low end sounds a little smeared. Vocals possibly a little shouty, but perhaps this is just in relation to the low end.. I know a lot is probably the amp and source. I have the cabinets lightly stuffed up to the bottom of the driver. The equivalent amount to your recommendation would fill the speaker easily. Should i wait until break-in is over and new amps are hooked up to mess with this aspect of the build?

Buzz:

Installing a tight interlocking side to side brace after the box is assembled will be a bit of a bitch if you've used ledger strips rather than dados for installing the rear panel.

A lot of digression in this thread, so I can't recall if you mentioned exactly what electronics are / will be used. I'd definitely wait until the drivers have had at least 200 hrs of playing time, and/or you've made changes upstream before "finalizing" the damping scheme.

Last edited:
I will eventually(next couple of weeks) be driving them with mono-block Aleph J's biased to give nominal power to drivers. It will be following an Erno Borberly all J-Fet preamp. Weakness for time being will be CD player(PS3). That and a DAC will be next projects. Right now, bass is good close, little muddy, and gets thin at about 6ft. I know its early. Just getting comments from you experienced fellas.

I will eventually(next couple of weeks) be driving them with mono-block Aleph J's biased to give nominal power to drivers. It will be following an Erno Borberly all J-Fet preamp. Weakness for time being will be CD player(PS3). That and a DAC will be next projects. Right now, bass is good close, little muddy, and gets thin at about 6ft. I know its early. Just getting comments from you experienced fellas.

well, I doubt the future amp(s) will be an issue, but what's in use now?

Sony HT amp. I have an AMC integrated in the back. Will hook it up soon.

I have included a picture and was wondering what may be happening with my room that is throwing the sound-stage to the left. I can sit centered in front of speakers and music has good sound-stage, but is shifted left. Is it the couch on the right or space between left speaker and entertainment center? I know room interaction is technical and i can only do so much. Tried lifting speakers off the ground to simulate feet to see if it would reinforce bass with a little different floor bounce

Please understand they sound great, just trying to dial them in. I have a feeling that when all is said and done they will be phenomenal.

Attachments

• DSC_0019.JPG
    DSC_0019.JPG
    693.3 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.