Il Penitente

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
yup, as I said , bad influence of Cyclotron emanation , all the way from Bubba Bob's Davis ...... 'Talian names popping as mushrooms after the rain

anyway, what's better to put on pizza than mushrooms .......

So, last one in series of autoformer gain amps (you can call them all - M2 on Mushrooms :rofl: ) , this one differing on outputs being classic BJT complementary pair, so sorta blasphemy in Papaland ......... he sinned heavily eons ago ....... while my Sin is recent........ :devilr:

Anyway, here's funny diagram, showing nothing else than bunch of multilegged fuses and some nice iron

hm, yes, my prototype equipped with first genuine ones I snatched from drawer - 2SA1491/2SC3855 ....... but pretty much any "for Audio amp" complementary pair should work well ........ 2SA1943/2SC5200 , TTA/TTC (newest Toshiba incarnation of 2SA/2SC)

rails +/-23V, Iq 1A5

2nd is clearly neg phase, not seen from my gigglywiggly, but I stumbled on nice routine in LTSpice showing just that behavior and didn't yet found reason to doubt it

edit on 20.01.2022. - C109 and C110 are not fitted, neither here nor in schm in post #6, so ignore them; these were "precautionary parts"...... which I initially forgot they're needing investigation (with or without); measurements shown were made with them in place, but after trying without, I can happily toss them out; as result, Freq. linearity (logically) being better without them ..... for instance , 8R load - everything stays in 1db envelope
ZM, does the P103 adjusts Iq?
What about three pairs of outputs? I got plenty C5200/A1943...

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
P103 offset, P104 Iq

name of the game is Square Law; in this power scale format - can't see how much you can make it more Berserk than it is already with "just" one pair of outputs, so reasoning that way - really no possible gains in multiplying number of outputs , just increasing complexity...... which inevitably goes to getting less detailed sound

generally - doable for multiple pairs, but that is feasible only if going for higher power amp - different front end, higher rails, and only then is possible to think how best to arrange biasing - as one circuit for all of them or separate for each pair; most likely latter approach, as pretty much only way of avoiding use of emiter resistors

so, see, even my own Greediness is having boundaries, sometimes :clown:

in any case, to quote one clever guy and his thinking :

http://edsaudiopages.blogspot.com/2021/07/how-much-amplifier-power-do-you-need.html

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
P103 offset, P104 Iq

name of the game is Square Law; in this power scale format - can't see how much you can make it more Berserk than it is already with "just" one pair of outputs, so reasoning that way - really no possible gains in multiplying number of outputs , just increasing complexity...... which inevitably goes to getting less detailed sound

generally - doable for multiple pairs, but that is feasible only if going for higher power amp - different front end, higher rails, and only then is possible to think how best to arrange biasing - as one circuit for all of them or separate for each pair; most likely latter approach, as pretty much only way of avoiding use of emiter resistors

so, see, even my own Greediness is having boundaries, sometimes :clown:

in any case, to quote one clever guy and his thinking :

http://edsaudiopages.blogspot.com/2021/07/how-much-amplifier-power-do-you-need.html
Not about power, i just wanted to use more parts :) This amp needs more parts.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
ZM, why no emitter resistors in output? Have you tried with and without?

damnvikinggreenhorn replied almost right - source resistors are sorta ballast but ...... calling them that way would be misleading

yup, Square Law

Papa started it with PL XA25, though basic arrangement is well known from before

example - Hitachi lateral audio mosfets - smaller amps from Yore (first ones, published in application sheets) made with them - didn't had source resistors at all, easily solvable due to friendly TempCo of laterals - 100mA is sweet spot and you can bias them with piece of string and two safety pins

verticals - no way

pucks - nononoway

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
visited today my OSSoE (Official Second Set of Ears)

he said - after smaaaaaaalll Rakija and biiiiiiiiiiig amount of Tea, and some listening while chatting, and 2 tunes carefully listened - "Well, you didn't embarrassed your self, even with this one"

:clown:

Attachments

• IMG_20220126_142141.jpg
    IMG_20220126_142141.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_20220126_154519.jpg
    IMG_20220126_154519.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_20220126_154522.jpg
    IMG_20220126_154522.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 156