ignore list

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Having an ignore list is a sign of your own weakness IMO.
In my experience (I might be on a couple of ignore lists...) in forums like these a healthy amount of criticism seems not to be tolerated, and to "avoid" a firm discussion, people prefer to neglect.
Also, there are quite some members here who start threads in the normal DIY spirit, but also have a commercial interest because running a webshop to sell PCB's among other things. These members dislike any form of criticism because it harms their economic profit and prefer to neglect you.
And, last but not least, there seems to be a situation where TO's claim certain "rights"; in other words: the TO does not like your critics (or otherwise) and asks you to leave "because it is his thread". Otherwise you will be on his ignore list...
I always understood that opening a thread does not provide you with these "rights".

I'm relatively new here. What happens when you ignore someone? Do you simply not see their moniker and their post? Does that not affect one's ability to follow the flow of the conversation on the thread? If I'm not making sense, feel free to ignore me! :wave:

I have only one on my ignore list, and he deserved it...

Galu
If someone is on your ignore list, you don't see their posts, but everybody else can. I would prefer that their posts be completely blocked from treads of mine, but I don't make the rules...

Last edited:
If someone is on your ignore list, you don't see their posts, but everybody else can.

And that is completely idiotic IMO.
Other members see the post, and might react.
The member who has you on his ignore list sees the replies and might think what is going on.
Once more, I think ignore lists do more harm then good.
If, for whatever reason, you have trouble (and I mean real trouble) with another member, simply ask him to leave, and when he breaks some rule, report to moderation.

I must be on some :)

I don't have one. I had one for a while, but I found it annoying because of the occasional thread that interested me but the ignore list threw off readability. However, there are quite a few posters I won't read past the first line or two, even if somebody else gives them a "great post" comment.

None on mine as I don't really believe in that feature. If I did there would be a few I guess, and in saying that I'm sure I'm on some for whatever reason.

Most all here I've learned from for the good and the bad. The bad I just stay away from without using the ignore feature etc.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I think I'm down to one, but I do know it isn't necessary.

I know as well as anybody that people can change. I find that I am learning from people that I had on my ignore list years ago and I am enjoying their input. Others that I found had good input years ago are grumpier and more contrary these days.

So in the end, I think everyone deserves a second chance. Maybe even that one on my list.

Sometimes I read really old posts of mine and wish I could ignore them. :)

Having an ignore list is a sign of your own weakness IMO.
In my experience (I might be on a couple of ignore lists...) in forums like these a healthy amount of criticism seems not to be tolerated, and to "avoid" a firm discussion, people prefer to neglect.
+1

Also, there are quite some members here who start threads in the normal DIY spirit, but also have a commercial interest because running a webshop to sell PCB's among other things. These members dislike any form of criticism because it harms their economic profit and prefer to neglect you.

+2

I think these people need to make it clear that their post (which is allowed to begin in the general threads) is ultimately a commercial venture. I've found it disingenuous when someone publishes a schematic under the guise of DIY but then gets the s**ts when you want to post your PCB design based on that schematic because it may harm their profits.

I think that ignoring people you don't agree with, just creates an echo chamber, and that is a major societal problem nowadays with social media. Don't like someone's opinion? Just scroll on past. You don't have to respond.

I prefer to hear what everyone has to say because often there are gems of knowledge, even amongst the outlandish nonsense they might usually spout.

*Edit - forgot to answer the question..0 on my list.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.