ideas for a new build !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
.......like the type you'd use for parties... or theatre rumble.

Historically, prosound drivers/box alignments for most parties, so powerful [mid] bass, though as recent as yesterday a couple of neighbors were playing some music not too loud, just was rattling most everything, so finally had to get them to EQ the low bass way down.

Didn't think to ask if it was on the music or added effects. One was playing some sort of hip-hop or ? a few houses up and the other, horn, drum heavy Mariachi a few houses down.

A really weird stereo background to my Nat King Cole tribute on PBS! :(

Cinema/HT LFE channel is strictly special effects, so limited to 80-120 Hz and best done with separate subs even though THX reference specs 20 Hz tuning for the mains or add the output to the LFE if set to 'small', ditto if one is into pipe organ symphonies.

Note: Not a good plan to get too serious over the latter if one has a 'floating' floor [suspended] house construction as they tend to have a lot higher Fs than I assumed, which caused the ceiling to come 'raining' down on us during the depth charge scene in the movie U-571, which over time has moved from the top of the LFE content ratings to just 'middle of the road', so don't even want to consider [re]building a LFE system for one of the current house wrecker 5 star movies: Bass Movie Measurements December 12, 2015 - Google Sheets

GM

There will be more diy cabinet design wood work to get the final dimensions with my suggestion than a complete kit. You could download the free miniDSP 2x4HD manual to study the capability, complexity, and judge if it meets your goals. You could visit miniDSP discussion forums (one on diyaudio) to ask questions and get DSP programs which could cover your requirements.
=====
There are a few reviewed TM designs using the SB26ADC-4 1" Aluminum Dome Tweeter and SB17BAC35-4 6.2" Aluminum cone midbass which include measured frequency and impedance data which closely match my simulations. You can scale these cabinets to required TM-WW volumes. The TM-WW is very popular in production speaker designs because a pair of 8" woofers has the same surface area as a 12" woofer, but allows artistic 10" - 10.5" wide cabinets like the award winning Sony AR1.

Troels examples:
NAC61
Illuminator monitor
Illuminator floorstander

SBAcoustics-61-NAC

Illuminator-Monitor

Attachments

• AR1.jpg
    AR1.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 120
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I don't understand if it is about a small theater or a home theater, two or three designs come into mind according the size of the theater and budget:

zaph Zaph|Audio - SB12.3 3-Way Tower a kit exists
Weltersys member synergy two ways or if small home theater : Bawslo's "synergy box"
a DIYSOUNDGROUP hometheater design

there are certainly many else... but all those seem to be very good quality and more or less in the budget :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.