IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...

Hi guys! Couple days I am trying to play DSD files (dsf) through Roon (core on Windows7 PC) and Rpi. Have tried both DietPi and RoPieee, but I can not force Roon to send DSD-data at all. There is no option "Native" in DSD Playback Strategy of Device Setup in Roon Settings. Even DSD over PCM v1.0 (DoP) option gives me I2S 176.4\352.8kHz data on the ESS controller (Analyzer mode) during DSD64\128 files playback with Hifiberry DAC+ selected in the Audio-section of dietpi-config menu. What have I missed?..
Thanks!

@Wlowes,

GREAT work, GREAT writeup! Thanks for envisioning, developing, and building what is an example of DIY overkill done right. AND then sharing what you did, why, and the sonic impacts of all of that for us to follow.
Thanks Greg.. Great to be able to give back some info to all who have helped me:)
A couple of related questions for you...

First, I know you are using a series pair of 1.5F/5.5V Ultracaps in your FiFoPi. Are you still using that? AND do you know what the charging current and time to charge with your supplies? I suspect it puts the LDOs into current limit for a short while, but curious if you measured it.
The supercap remains on the power rail of the FIFOPi. It no doubt is a dead short for the LDO for a few seconds on powerup. I have not measured the current, but it seems to be no issue. I suspect the LDO goes into current protection during the charge up phase. The LDO in this case is an IanCanada TPS4700.
I don't know if you've been following this, but Allo is coming out with what they are calling the USBBridge Signature, an RPi-compatible (mostly) board using the same architecture as an RPi, but with a low-noise linear regulated carrier board containing the IO devices and using an RPi compute module for the processing.

I expect this will be a game-changer for RPi audio just as Ian's FIFOs have been for I2S audio. I have a couple of RPi 2B I've modified to replace the onboard noisy DC-DC converters with linear regulators.
I have followed your work on the Allo optimization thread with great interest. I will check out the new Allo RPi. Thanks for the tip. I don't use Pi Wifi, so no issues there.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
P.S. Because of changes to the power architecture of later RPis, the 2B is the last of the RPis that will work with the linear-regulation mod. .

Greg, just for information for Pi3b owners: I do have and currently use a Pi 3b V1.2 with it's DCDC chip ripped off but with the mezzanine board. What I want to say is, there are some 3b Pis you can use with ripped off DCDC chip. Gives a nice improvement here as well.

Cheers, Ernst

Joined 2003
Paid Member
@ernesternest,

That is great news! THANKS!

Question... does that version also have a 1.2V rail as shown in post 41 of this thread:

Mezzanine Power board for Raspberry Pi

I have a couple of RPi 3 Model B V1.2 here and they don't have the same power chip and layout as the 3B+ shown in that post.

As I look at the B V1.2, it does look a lot more like the 2B power chip and layout than the 3B+. See my attached picture and the RPi Zero and RPi 2B V1.1 pictures in this article:

More power to your Pi - Raspberry Pi

AND now that I understand the RPi model numbers a bit better after re-reading all of these posts and articles, this makes perfect sense now!

Again, that's very good to know! Thanks for setting me straight!

Greg in Mississippi

Attachments

• RPi 3B V1-2 Power Chip Resized.jpg
    RPi 3B V1-2 Power Chip Resized.jpg
    781.5 KB · Views: 454
Greg I have TPS7A470 Voltage Regulator regs with 1.5f supercaps fitted to two of the rails on my dac board. These are fed with a bench supply. It takes 8 seconds for the current level to settle, on powerup, according to the display on bench supply. The regs are 1 amp limited.

I've not hard startup order issues, with regs for avcc alone, or avcc and vcca together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
@sq225917... that is VERY useful. Hmmm.. I guess I need to use a bench supply with various value series resistors (start with 100R, then 10R, then 2R...) to characterize the charging.

My concern is doing this with a direct connection to Ian's LiFePO4 supply. Those cells can source a monsterous instantaneous current, likely higher than the board and any series components such as the relays can handle. I COULD do a series resistor on each rail with a time-delay relay to bypass it, but that adds contacts. Hmmm.....

I'm beginning to think the 3-battery rail DAC setup solution, perhaps with a high-ESR Supercap (such as the Panasonic ones recommended by Joe Rasmussen and used by Allo now) on the DAC board at each rail MIGHT be a more 'safe' solution.

Again, THANKS!

Greg in Mississippi

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Greg, regarding the 1.2V voltage of the 3B + my 3B doesn't have such a 1.2V voltage. My 3b+ does.

Totally different question, did anybody add supercaps to Ian's double 9038 board, as he mentioned in the manual. Since there is a location for 4 of them underneath the board, I think of adding at least one. Unfortunately I couldn't find one for at Mouser.

Cheers, Ernst

Joined 2003
Paid Member
@ernesternest,

See post #223 of this thread for a picture of the Mouser PN for some moderate ESR .33F/5.5V supercaps recommened by Joe Rasmussen and used by Allo in their Boss and Katana DACs (among other places). These are currently EOL, so either find a source with some in stock and get some soon or find the replacement.

Because they are not low ESR, the current inrush when power is applied is minimal.

Then on lower ESR Ultracaps, I got these different types from Mouser to try on Ian's DAC boards, though I haven't tried them yet:

Mouser #: 598-DGH155Q5R5
Mfr. #: DGH155Q5R5
Mfr.: Illinois Capacitor / CDE

Mouser #: 581-SCMR22C155MRBA0
Mfr. #: SCMR22C155MRBA0
Mfr.: AVX

Mouser #: 723-BMOD0001P005B02
Mfr. #: BMOD0001 P005 B02
Mfr.: Maxwell / Nesscap

My questions and comments along with others' responses in the past several posts are about using these low ESR Ultracaps with Ian's LiFePO4 supply... which I'm beginning to think is not a good idea unless some means is used to limit the charge current when the LiFePO4 supply is turned on or to pre-charge the low ESR Ultracaps before turning the supply on. Either can be done, but will take some work and care. I suspect just installing them without dealing with the likely VERY HIGH instantaneous charge current from the LiFePO4 cells could be disasterous!

Maybe someone else has tried this and can either let us know it works ok or warn us against it?

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. The low-ESR Ultracaps above are similar to those used by @Wlowes in his implementations of Ian's I2StoPCM board and FiFoPi, but since Walter is powering his setup with AC-connected supplies and a final LDO with built-in current limiting, he doesn't have issues with current inrush.

They are also similar to those used by Allo as the final output C in their Shanti power supplies.

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
This should be similar

DX-5R5H334U‎
Many thanks, yes this should be.

And I found the Panasonics in Germany for nice little money and will order 40 of them due to their minimum order. If anybody is interested, I would have 2 or 3 x 10 pcs. PM me if interested. If they accept my order. This is just for Company Orders. Let's see.

Cheers Ernst

Last edited: